Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I am happy for folks that are able to get the additional acceleration for a good deal but if we think like business people I think they are missing an opportunity here.

For example, another thing Tesla could do here is simply add another trim like they had before with the M3P-.

It is all about packaging and it could go something like this.
  • M3P+ - $57,990 - includes existing Performance Upgrade hardware, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. (~470hp/490lb ft torque)
  • M3P- - $53,990 - includes 19s (instead of 18s), no Track Mode, 0-60 in 3.5 sec (software limit). (~420hp/440lb ft torque)
  • M3D - $47,990 - keep as is - 0-60 rated at 4.4 sec (even though testing says it is closer to 4.0 sec). (~370hp/390lb ft torque)
With this kind of offering you keep the fastest trim at the top for those that are willing to stretch and pay for it. Then you step down a notch for the folks that are willing to spend a little more for acceleration but have no interest in tracking the car. I know some are going to say this add more complexity but it really doesn't. Just put it on the menu and it is super easy. They just match you to a car with M3D and 19s and push the software change.

Why force the P3D- to take the 19s?

Other than aesthetics, the 20s are pretty worthless. The 19s would weigh less and should perform better, and are still low profile enough that the steering response is great, plus there's still plenty of summer tires you can put on. Much less risk of blowing out a wheel.

The 18s with good tires still have great response; weigh even less; have a better ride; and have better efficiency. The 19s are still too low profile and easily get destroyed in L.A. streets.

If I had to, I guess I would get the 19s and then upgrade them with 18s once the first wheel get destroyed three months in.

Reactions: one4spl
Why force the P3D- to take the 19s?

From the Tesla perspective I am thinking it could be up-sell to grab a little more profit.

From the customer perspective, the 19s would offer better performance in the corners and braking. They also look a lot better than the 18s Aeros. Maybe if Tesla came out with a better looking 18” wheel option then fine but their current 18 is the eco friendly option with plastic aero covers based on Primacy tires...

Reactions: Scott7 and TT97
There is a reasonable argument for these having limited availability. P3D- was an on-menu choice for RHD market orders in May and June this year. It has now been dropped however. It's possible they had an excess of parts from that adventure that made selling a few LHD P3D- in the US a good idea.

Here in Australia it was clearly advertised as not having track mode.

I have one on order and it's meant to be delivered in August. I really hope it has track mode.

In Australia it's now been replaced with the AWD LR that wasnt previously available here, and at the same price as the P3D-.

For proof hit Way Back Machine, Tesla.com, slide the time to mid June and then select Australia and order a Model 3.

From the Tesla perspective I am thinking it could be up-sell to grab a little more profit.

From the customer perspective, the 19s would offer better performance in the corners and braking. They also look a lot better than the 18s Aeros. Maybe if Tesla came out with a better looking 18” wheel option then fine but their current 18 is the eco friendly option with plastic aero covers based on Primacy tires...

I agree with your pricing, and having 18s would actually allow Tesla to "down-sell" the 19s for an extra $1500.

18s would actually brake better than 19s (assuming same tire) as they are lighter. I prefer the look of the 18s without the covers than the 19s/20s (but again, that is just my preference). Chrome always looked cheap to me.

Reactions: raptor5244
There is a reasonable argument for these having limited availability. P3D- was an on-menu choice for RHD market orders in May and June this year. It has now been dropped however. It's possible they had an excess of parts from that adventure that made selling a few LHD P3D- in the US a good idea.

Except that the P3D- uses exactly the same parts as the AWD non-P car they've continued making in bulk in the US the whole time...in fact at least one owner here just a couple days ago took delivery of an AWD that Tesla then OTA flashed into a P3D- since that's what he paid for and since the only difference is software.

Reactions: Schroeder0202
Except that the P3D- uses exactly the same parts as the AWD non-P car they've continued making in bulk in the US the whole time...in fact at least one owner here just a couple days ago took delivery of an AWD that Tesla then OTA flashed into a P3D- since that's what he paid for and since the only difference is software.

Yes, but don't you find it a tad bit odd that there is only one reported case of this in the past couple of weeks? One would think many (more than the lone one post here) previously ordered and newly delivered LR AWD owners/TMC members would have gotten "'da flash" given that more than 1000 TMC members signed that P3D- "petition" in the other thread, don't you?

Yes, but don't you find it a tad bit odd that there is only one reported case of this in the past couple of weeks? One would think many (more than the lone one post here) previously ordered and newly delivered LR AWD owners/TMC members would have gotten "'da flash" given that more than 1000 TMC members signed that P3D- "petition" in the other thread, don't you?

No.

Because that one guy bought a P3D-

They just forgot to flash it before he picked it up so it was still an AWD when he showed up to get it.

Tesla doesn't offer the flash to existing AWD owners right now- that's the point of the petition.

I know of 2 people now who have ordered a P3D- and both have taken delivery. Only one of which is a member here.
Both cars were ordered over the phone and both cars were already in route to the delivery center. There was no time delay.
He had is car within 2 days of ordering. @davidcom would you please post a pic of your car on here along with the sticker showing your car was simply a LR AWD model that was rebadged and then software uploaded with the performance software. We need to put these sceptics to sleep.

I know of 2 people now who have ordered a P3D- and both have taken delivery. Only one of which is a member here.
Both cars were ordered over the phone and both cars were already in route to the delivery center. There was no time delay.
He had is car within 2 days of ordering. @davidcom would you please post a pic of your car on here along with the sticker showing your car was simply a LR AWD model that was rebadged and then software uploaded with the performance software. We need to put these sceptics to sleep.

I look forward to seeing it from @davidcom.

I called my local delivery center and asked them about P3- and they said they have 2 in stock at remote lot. Tesla knows what exactly these cars are. They must have an identifier. Maybe the newer AWD ones post some date have nicer motors which can be AWar P or AWD only.

I’m assuming that track mode is on these “stealth” cars and also that it will not be removed in a following update.

It also appears that the vin numbers for these cars are not the latest numbers but I don’t know if there is any significance to that.

Opinions?

I want a head rush too and am ready to pay for it.

Can someone pull Elon out of the neuralink Matrix and get his attention for us please?

You need to buy it as Performance. Tesla has NEVER allowed any upgrading to Performance after taking delivery. If they did allow post-delivery upgrades, they would logically have to offer it to all AWD purchasers or you can bet the ones they declined would be pissed.

Here's my take. Musk said the Performance versions have drive units/power inverters which were selected with the highest sigma outputs. Mass-produced silicon carbide power electronics (such as are found in the drive inverters) carry a LOT of current for their size. In the Performance Models, they necessarily carry even more current. There is a reason why they burn these in at the Nevada factory before shipping them to Freemont. Because there is naturally some variation in the silicon carbide that allows some to perform better (produce less heat under load). Only those are eligible to become Performance models.

My take is this is why Tesla has never, and will never, upgrade an AWD to Performance after delivery. Because, to be fair to customers, they would have to offer this to all AWD owners which I strongly suspect they can't do because not all AWD drive units tested well enough to be a Performance. Tesla doesn't make the Silicon Carbide power transistors, they buy them from a supplier with certain specs. The price goes up sharply depending upon exactly what those specs are (because then the supplier has to throw away the lower performing transistors or find another buyer for them). So, Tesla provided specs suitable for AWD power levels and the majority of those are good enough for Performance (but not all). So drive unit serial numbers are recorded during testing as to whether they can be an AWD or Performance or whether they can only be AWD.

I have no proof of this (other than Musks tweet from last year) but it is the only scenario that fits all the known information perfectly. It would, of course, be proven wrong if Tesla reversed course and offered Performance upgrades to all AWD owners, something I don't think will ever happen for the reasons given above.

I have no proof of this (other than Musks tweet from last year) but it is the only scenario that fits all the known information perfectly.

But that doesn't fit what is known at all.

Because what is known includes that Ps and AWDs get exactly the same drive units with exactly the same PNs

And that this "flashing a delivered AWD to a P3D- at/post delivery when the real order was a P" happened last year during intiial P3D- deliveries too doesn't fit the idea it's some "special" new parts (which again nobody has posted a different PN actually delivered on their car to support the idea of either)

And Tesla has sold upgrades (to only some people) in the past- P85D L upgrade for example if you bought within a certain date range.

Just as they've sold upgrades to "everyone" (P100D owners who took delivery without L and added it later for example).

But that doesn't fit what is known at all.

Because what is known includes that Ps and AWDs get exactly the same drive units with exactly the same PNs

And that this "flashing a delivered AWD to a P3D- at/post delivery when the real order was a P" happened last year during intiial P3D- deliveries too doesn't fit the idea it's some "special" new parts (which again nobody has posted a different PN actually delivered on their car to support the idea of either)

And Tesla has sold upgrades (to only some people) in the past- P85D L upgrade for example if you bought within a certain date range.

Just as they've sold upgrades to "everyone" (P100D owners who took delivery without L and added it later for example).

1) We are not discussing Model S P85D's or Model S P100D's here, only Model 3 AWD and Model 3 Performance.
2) Part numbers are applied during manufacture, not testing. Of course, they all have the same part number.
3) It would only be during the testing of those drive units that they could designate them as suitable for Performance or not.
4) In this case, Tesla will never flash an AWD that didn't test high enough and they will never flash an AWD to Performance after a AWD has been delivered as an AWD non-Performance because they can't do the same for all AWD owners who may request an upgrade.

Large silicon carbide power inverters vary in performance from the manufacturer (the manufacturer specs admit this fact) even though the individual components have the same part number. It's not clear to me why you make such a big deal about the part numbers all being the same. There's a good reason for that. They are all built the same. That doesn't mean they all perform the same. The ones that test good enough are marked as eligible for Performance upgrade.

For reasons that should be obvious, Tesla does not disclose the ones that tested better or worse. Because then you would have the situation where two AWD owners paid the same price for their cars but one has a drive unit that's good enough for P upgrade while the other does not. The testing results are kept confidential so Tesla has flexibility before the sale to sell any AWD that tested as P capable as a Performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade