Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in Maryland showroom and the employee went through all available regions across the country. It seemed like the 'Greater DC area' had a few in black, no blue or white and maybe one or two silver and red. These all also seem to be early July build or so. Not sure what that means in terms of build changes, i.e. vegan steering wheel or anything. Seemed to be no White exterior P3D- in the whole country.
Any idea location of the Grey one? That's what I'm looking for!

To add some data to this; my SA had lead on red ext / blk int over holiday weekend, did not pan out, I was not real enthusiastic about color and it’s extra fee, was def compromise to get elusive sleeper. SA states not seeing any on west coast in system at this time. I since changed my order to a full performance in my color choice but my SA will continue to keep eye out for a unicorn in my desired color combo while I wait.

Reactions: shiftkenny
Most likely explanation, given early July production of this run: At end of Q2 they were stuck with huge inventory of Performance motors (according to a sales guy that I spoke to, the take rate on the P3+ is extremely small). The only way to return any income on these inventory performance motors was to do a limited P3- run immediately at the start of Q3. Unless this reoccurs, or unless Tesla realizes that there is big demand for performance cars without the cosmetic bits, that may have been it.

Most likely explanation, given early July production of this run: At end of Q2 they were stuck with huge inventory of Performance motors (according to a sales guy that I spoke to, the take rate on the P3+ is extremely small). The only way to return any income on these inventory performance motors was to do a limited P3- run immediately at the start of Q3. Unless this reoccurs, or unless Tesla realizes that there is big demand for performance cars without the cosmetic bits, that may have been it.

AWD uses the same motors as performance::: they sell many AWD

I was matched to P3D- black/black coming from NJ over the weekend. I originally had a pearl white matched but thought I’d be leaving something on the table if I didn’t take this chance. Do I need that extra performance? Probably not but we will see. My biggest concern is switch from the white to black paint. Still waiting for my delivery date.

Reactions: shiftkenny
You have a lot to learn young padawan.. we have been tracking motors and everything from performance and stealths and AWD there's a lot of variables that's being examined. Please read the 1 of the 100 other threads on this.

Been following the P3D since the day it was announced... thought I was losing my mind so I read like first 15 pages of this thread till I realized some great conspiracy theory was gelling... no real patience for the rest of the silliness,,,, Tesla routinely software locks.... I believe parts have always been the same... I wish they would offer me the upgrade, I believe they will at some point... anyone have a link to share showing the difference? Or should I read the remaining 30 pages?

I believe parts have always been the same... I wish they would offer me the upgrade, I believe they will at some point... anyone have a link to share showing the difference? Or should I read the remaining 30 pages?

Posts #757 and #759 are helpful.

In short:
  • To date, all P3D- (Stealth Performance) and P3D+ (Performance) are equipped with rear drive unit (RDU) ending in part number 980.
  • To date, all LR AWD are equipped with rear drive unit (RDU) ending in part number 990.
  • Tesla has not published anything explaining this hardware difference. In fact, Tesla has not produced any official specs comparing the two units.
  • Based on these anecdotal observations, some forum members theorize that RDU 980 might be more powerful/capable/durable. It is all conjecture at this point.

In short:
  • To date, all P3D- (Stealth Performance) and P3D+ (Performance) are equipped with rear drive unit (RDU) ending in part number 980.
  • To date, all LR AWD are equipped with rear drive unit (RDU) ending in part number 990.
  • Tesla has not published anything explaining this hardware difference. In fact, Tesla has not produced any official specs comparing the two units.
  • Based on these anecdotal observations, some forum members theorize that RDU 980 might be more powerful/capable/durable. It is all conjecture at this point.
Well said sir !

• Informative
Reactions: moltenfire
True all REPORTED Ps have 980. And, enough have reported that one could reasonably deduce that ALL Ps have it.

Extremely unlikely that all LR AWDs have 990. During both periods of availability of Stealth P, there have been many credible reports of Stealth Ps being delivered as LR AWDs and then field flashed to P. That means it is highly likely that SOME LR AWDs have 980. But probably very few. That is why Tesla probably can’t/won’t offer option to upgrade LR AWDs.

In short:
Correct.

To date, all LR AWD are equipped with rear drive unit (RDU) ending in part number 990.

Grossly incorrect.

All model 3s, every single trim, produced in 2017 and 2018 came with the 980 rear drive unit. LR AWDs included.

The 990 only appeared at all on European AWD cars starting January 2019... and later trickled into US AWD cars... though as late as at least April 2019 there were still at least some US AWD cars being delivered with 980 RDUs and the 990 now appears to be the standard AWD RDU.... but hadn't been for most of the time the LR AWD has been in production.

This is based on the fact all Ps have the 980.... and 100% of the delivered-as-just-AWD cars who were later flashed to P config also have 980s. Including all the recently delivered surprise P3D- cars.

Which is why people expect any AWD delviered with a 980 (which again is ALL of them prior to 2019, and at least some US ones in the first few months of 2019) can be flashed to a P without issue if Tesla would sell that as an unlock.

(disclaimer- all the ones anyone has checked anyway- it's always possible some dude without a computer in Montana has a P with a 990 or something I guess and nobody knows about it)

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life