Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P winter tyre package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

With the 20” Tyres being summer tyres on the M3P, does anyone know if Tesla sell a winter tyre set in the UK? I can see on the US shop they have an option of winter 19”, but the same option isn’t shown on the UK online Tesla shop.

thanks
Scott

Feersum Endjinn in winter plumage. 18" Bola B17s on a M3 performance plus. 1300 quid all in from LK Performance. Make sure they know it is for a performance plus to provide the hub rings with the 3mm ridge. TPMS from TPMS Warehouse work a treat.

a31OZDc8QbOODjDT7bgETQ.jpg
Ev5HRZn6QOy%uaN9pI%2wA.jpg

Feersum Endjinn in winter plumage. 18" Bola B17s on a M3 performance plus. 1300 quid all in from LK Performance. Make sure they know it is for a performance plus to provide the hub rings with the 3mm ridge. TPMS from TPMS Warehouse work a treat.

View attachment 489689 View attachment 489690

Looks good! Is the hub cap the same size as the Tesla kit for people removing their Aero covers? If so then you could get a cheap set and have the Telsa T centre caps (even the cheap ones on Amazon have decent quality caps). Looks like good clearance on the big brakes despite the smaller rim.

Hi

With the 20” Tyres being summer tyres on the M3P, does anyone know if Tesla sell a winter tyre set in the UK? I can see on the US shop they have an option of winter 19”, but the same option isn’t shown on the UK online Tesla shop.

thanks
Scott
I made an email enquiry to [email protected] in October seeking winter tyres for my M3P. This was what I was offered in an email reply:

"We currently only offer an 18” winter wheel package for Model 3. I can however offer 2 alternatives.

Tyres only which I understand isn’t ideal @ £300.00 + VAT per tyre (235/35R20 Pirelli WNTR 92W XL Sottozero 3)

I can have a set of wheels built up for you and fitted to your vehicle for £4358.40 inc VAT. This will include 20” performance wheels, tyres as mentioned above, TPMS sensors and balancing. We can swap the centre caps over to save added costs and will place your old wheels in the car."

I ended up going with 18" wheels from Gavin (the Facebook group buy chap) and fitted the Sottozero 3s at a local tyre fitter.

Reactions: Tatoo1
@Tatoo1
I'm also looking for winter tyres for M3P.
Did you reduce from 20" to 18" for those?
What tyres did you get, I can see they're Michelin but don't see the serial number.
Also presumably you have to replace entire rims, not just tyres, is that right?

I made an email enquiry to [email protected] in October seeking winter tyres for my M3P. This was what I was offered in an email reply:

"We currently only offer an 18” winter wheel package for Model 3. I can however offer 2 alternatives.

Tyres only which I understand isn’t ideal @ £300.00 + VAT per tyre (235/35R20 Pirelli WNTR 92W XL Sottozero 3)

I can have a set of wheels built up for you and fitted to your vehicle for £4358.40 inc VAT. This will include 20” performance wheels, tyres as mentioned above, TPMS sensors and balancing. We can swap the centre caps over to save added costs and will place your old wheels in the car."

I ended up going with 18" wheels from Gavin (the Facebook group buy chap) and fitted the Sottozero 3s at a local tyre fitter.
Don’t suppose you know the price for the 18 Tesla winter wheels package?

@Tatoo1
I'm also looking for winter tyres for M3P.
Did you reduce from 20" to 18" for those?
What tyres did you get, I can see they're Michelin but don't see the serial number.
Also presumably you have to replace entire rims, not just tyres, is that right?

Yes I have gone for entire 18” rims as the tyres were cheaper and readily available. I have Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter tyres (as I might take the car to Europe at some point in the future). They are excellent although could have gone for CrossClimates like many others.

View attachment 489689 View attachment 489690

I was also looking at Bola 18" from LK Performance, but somebody told me that downsizing the wheel size could affect battery performance. Have you heard that? or experienced it, or is everything OK?

I was also looking at Bola 18" from LK Performance, but somebody told me that downsizing the wheel size could affect battery performance. Have you heard that? or experienced it, or is everything OK?

Why would that be? The rolling circumference is the same and the wheel/tyre combination lighter so aside from an aero issues range should, in theory, be better not worse...

Tyre rolling resistance has a small impact on range. The aero wheel trims have bigger impact on range. I never get cars with bigger than 18" wheels. The UK roads are not good enough for bigger wheels. In fact 16"/17" would be my preferred size.

Why would that be? The rolling circumference is the same and the wheel/tyre combination lighter so aside from an aero issues range should, in theory, be better not worse...

A physicist/engineer might be able to explain this better but from memory...

Assuming that the overall circumference doesn't change, i.e. you increase the profile as you decrease the rim size, then a larger wheel will have a greater rotational inertia due to the mass being further from the rotation point. (rotational intertia = mass * radius^2)
This means it requires more torque, and therefore power to make it rotate, compared to a smaller rim but also that it will continue to rotate for longer when power is removed.
In theory this means that acceleration is slower and less efficient with large rims but once up to speed the vehicle will coast further.
In reality however the difference is likely to be relatively small - there is a graph around somewhere that compares how driving speed and wheel size combinations affect range.

Edit: Found the chart here. It says that a Model 3 P on 18" wheels (no aero covers) will do 16 more miles at 70mph than it will on 20" wheels.

3-mi-912.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Obliter8
I like those wheels what make are they? Any more details?
They are Varro wheels (I believe the European VD25 in 18"). There is a nice chap called Gavin on the TOGUK Facebook group who organised a group buy. He suppled me with the set of 4 wheels, centre caps and TPMS sensors for £923 delivered. Mine are in silver. I have no affiliation to Gavin, other than being very grateful for his efforts and pleased with the wheels. If you want to contact Gavin send me a PM and I will pass along his details (or you can seek him out on Facebook).

Here is a photo of my P3D with the winter wheels:

IMG_1778.jpg