Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach E in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spotted this guy in the wild today. Haven't looked over all the details of the photos but one thing I noticed right away was no door handles!

Please do not reuse these photos for your own publications without credit.
Thanks

MVIMG_20200616_184254 - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184304crop - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184327small - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184347 - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184405small - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184414 - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184425 - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184455 - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184506 - Copy.jpg
MVIMG_20200616_184515 - Copy.jpg

Not a Test Mule, a CTF - Captured Test Fleet Car (see MFR plate) Before a major MFR releases a car, they produce 50-500 and have employees drive them.

Great catch. I remember catching a Blue Devil (prototype 2009 ZR1) mule and it was loaded with datalogging equipment, in 2006?

Last edited:
Is that some sort of a door handle in the pillar?
Yep. You push the button to crack the door like the internal door latch on the 3 and the Y. Then you pull it open with that little tab. It's fixed, just a handle to grab.

I think it's a nice looking car. I prefer the Y, but I'm biased because I own a Y. I like the wheels a lot; very nice factory wheels. I like the red better than the red on my Y. I wish our red was metalic. I like the keypad on the door pillar; it would be nice for those times you don't want to carry a key.

On the negative side, that is a tiny, tiny brake rotor. That seems to be a 10" rotor--I compared the rotor to the 19" rim--on a car that weighs 600 pounds more than the Y. (Which has 12" rotors.) I'd be a bit worried about overall driving dynamics if that's all they cared to spend on the brakes. What else did Ford short? 225 wide tires? Well, that's one way they're increasing their range and keeping costs down, but at the cost of driving dynamics. The tires are only H rated for speed, and have 55 pounds lower load capacity than the 104 rated tires on the 19" Y tires. That'll be a 100 pound reduction for the rear axle weight rating and a 200 pound penalty on GVWR compared to the Y--on top of being 600 pounds heavier to begin with. (I know 55x4=220, but there's a 10% penalty for P tires.) I guess we can already assume very limited tow capacity at best. I would have guessed Ford would go with a load rating for the tires of 107 as heavy as the Mach-e is.

I'm really cheering for Ford with this one for several reasons. First, the more electric cars on the road the faster the public charging infrastructure will grow, not to mention the environmental benefits. Second, the better the Mach-e is the better the Y will become. Elon is nothing if not competitive and he won't stand still for the E to best the Y in any category. If the E GT does 0-60 in 3.5, I'll be looking forward to the update that drives my Y to do it in 3.2. :) But the brakes and tires on that car don't paint a promising picture for the Mach-e.

I think it looks almost exactly like all of the youtube reviews and comparisons I've seen. I like its futuristic look but am still on the fence of it being labeled as a "Mustang". I think this is a decently designed EV crossover and would be considering more it if the non-Supercharger charging network was comparable.

That all being said, I definitely think Tesla's offerings don't really compare to anything else on the market currently, in both hardware AND software! In terms of software, I'm referencing VW's ID.3 software shenanigans...