Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Magically disappearing 4 year/ 50k Used S Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a 2016 Tesla S used from Tesla in April of 2019 with an included 4 year 50k mile warranty. On December 28, 2021 when the mobile technician came to fix the front passenger door handle (fifth handle broken since purchase) I was told that my car was no longer under warranty and I needed to pay $230 to fix the handle.
I told him that this was wrong since I had a 4 year 50k mile warranty from the date of purchase. The tech stated that my car only had a 2 year 25k warranty (which was never an even an option) and upon being pressed stated that I'd only ever had the original warranty 4 year 50k warranty from the car's original purchase (sometime in 2016).

Has this magically disappearing warranty happened to anyone else?

I am assuming the same on mine, although I haven't talked to anyone. Reason for the assumption is my mobile service cost approval showed a $0.00 balance owed on replacing a door handle. I had to cancel because of freezing temps so wasn't able to verify anything yet. When I set up another visit I'll definitely ask through chat.

Upvote 0
I contacted my local service center via the app. The manager called me and said in their system it shows the correct warranty dates based on my purchase agreement. He didn't know why it displays the wrong dates in the app and account settings page.
So now my correct dates are appearing in the account! Amazing! Love my local service center folks.

Reactions: byeLT4
Upvote 0
Hey everyone, so since Tesla added the warranty info to the app, I also noticed the warranty info is incorrectly showing the original end date of September 2022 for my 2018 build model 3. I bought it from Tesla where it clearly states you get an additional 1 year/10k used car warranty. I reached out to my Tesla center through the app by scheduling a service visit, and they’re saying no, there is no additional warranty. I even sent them the used vehicle limited warranty page. Anyone know what else I can do?

“Tesla used vehicles are covered by the remainder of 4 years or 50,000 miles left on the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. After expiration, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty provides additional coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles.”

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, so since Tesla added the warranty info to the app, I also noticed the warranty info is incorrectly showing the original end date of September 2022 for my 2018 build model 3. I bought it from Tesla where it clearly states you get an additional 1 year/10k used car warranty. I reached out to my Tesla center through the app by scheduling a service visit, and they’re saying no, there is no additional warranty. I even sent them the used vehicle limited warranty page. Anyone know what else I can do?

“Tesla used vehicles are covered by the remainder of 4 years or 50,000 miles left on the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. After expiration, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty provides additional coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles.”

That’s correct, no?

“If the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will provide coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles, starting from your delivery date.”

Seems to imply the 1-year bonus is only if the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired.

That said, I find their legalese very confusing.

Upvote 0
That’s correct, no?

“If the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will provide coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles, starting from your delivery date.”

Seems to imply the 1-year bonus is only if the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired.

That said, I find their legalese very confusing.

The entire paragraph is composed of two sentences. First sentence says IF the vehicle currently has warranty left, after expiration you get an additional year. Second sentence says IF the warranty is already expired, then you get just the 1 year.

"
Tesla used vehicles are covered by the remainder of 4 years or 50,000 miles left on the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty. After expiration, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty provides additional coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles.

If the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty has already expired, the Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will provide coverage of 1 year or 10,000 miles, starting from your delivery date."

Also, look at this inventory example here. It uses the word Additional
Look at the warranty description on this page. It says 1 additional year after the basic warranty expires

Attachments

• E305D6A9-C4EB-4B61-A0A4-60AD2AAA248E.png
    E305D6A9-C4EB-4B61-A0A4-60AD2AAA248E.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4
Upvote 0
My Tesla S 2016 came with 4 year/ 50k mile warranty when I purchased it from Tesla. It was 3 years old and had been a Tesla marketing car (no previous private owner).

Additional background info the two warranties available for certified used cars purchased directly from Tesla in April 2019 (when I made my purchase) were the 2 year/100k and 4 year/ 50k.

Unfortunately I didn't realize the potential for shadiness with a digital records system managed internally by Tesla and didn't think to proactively screenshot every exchange I had with them.
I just had the exact same issue. I found my original email that states I have that 4 year, 50000 Mile used car warranty, but I can't find out who to fight this with. I bought a 2017ms with 30,000 miles on it. They only honored the new car warranty. I told them I have the used extended warranty and they said they didn't know what that was and Tesla never offered it. They're a terrible company.

Reactions: momo3605
Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect but I’m currently going through the rigmaroles of sorting a warranty issue.

I bought a 69plate M3 back in July 2020. It was a ex demonstrator car, 9 months old, 8k on the clock. Loaner / ex demo document indicates the car Benefitted from a Basic Vehicle Warranty at purchase and I have an email from the sales rep at the time which also confirms this. It literally states “you’ll have a new 4 year warranty the same as a new car”.

App is saying Basic warranty expires October 2023 rather than July 2024.

Tesla Customer Services have tried to pass me off by detailing the different warranty types and that I only got the remainder of the original basics warranty and will get another year of a used car warranty.

Sought legal advice. They are advising that if Tesla don’t uphold the 4 year new basic warranty I should pursue damages, as they have essentially sold something through mis-representation.

Just wondered if anyone else had taken them to task over this?

Upvote 0
Sorry to resurrect but I’m currently going through the rigmaroles of sorting a warranty issue.

I bought a 69plate M3 back in July 2020. It was a ex demonstrator car, 9 months old, 8k on the clock. Loaner / ex demo document indicates the car Benefitted from a Basic Vehicle Warranty at purchase and I have an email from the sales rep at the time which also confirms this. It literally states “you’ll have a new 4 year warranty the same as a new car”.

App is saying Basic warranty expires October 2023 rather than July 2024.

Tesla Customer Services have tried to pass me off by detailing the different warranty types and that I only got the remainder of the original basics warranty and will get another year of a used car warranty.

Sought legal advice. They are advising that if Tesla don’t uphold the 4 year new basic warranty I should pursue damages, as they have essentially sold something through mis-representation.

Just wondered if anyone else had taken them to task over this?

Did you read the actual warranty doc that applies to your vehicle? It’s pretty clear that the warranty starts when the vehicle is first placed into service, and even specifically cites the case of a demo vehicle.

6D98E0F8-3F20-4B3F-A2D1-0E185A6C56F9.jpeg

Upvote 0
Did you read the actual warranty doc that applies to your vehicle? It’s pretty clear that the warranty starts when the vehicle is first placed into service, and even specifically cites the case of a demo vehicle.

View attachment 872585
Yip. Pics below of what I got. Basic Vehicle Warranty is a part of the New Vehicle warranty. The Loaner/ ex demo document references the car being protected by the Basic vehicle warranty which as per the other info, is 4 years/50k. Does not reference a New Vehicle Warranty.

Attachments

• 7FE9465C-855A-4CC1-8CCA-AD7499CD4B84.png
    7FE9465C-855A-4CC1-8CCA-AD7499CD4B84.png
    589.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 59D140CB-A813-4873-9ED3-CAC6E8E5152F.png
    59D140CB-A813-4873-9ED3-CAC6E8E5152F.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 42
Upvote 0
Yip. Pics below of what I got. Basic Vehicle Warranty is a part of the New Vehicle warranty. The Loaner/ ex demo document references the car being protected by the Basic vehicle warranty which as per the other info, is 4 years/50k. Does not reference a New Vehicle Warranty.
The "basic vehicle warranty" is an individual component of the "new vehicle warranty", a bundle which also includes the SRS and battery/drive unit warranties.

The warranty is indeed for 4 years/50k miles - from the time the vehicle was placed into service as a loaner. The written documentation is really clear about this. I suppose you'll have to try your luck as to whether or not the message you have from your sales rep overrides the explicit terms in the document.

RE legal action - you opted out of the arbitration clause in your purchase agreement, ya?

Upvote 0
Not a clue on the opt out bit. I suppose I wasn’t really challenging a New Vehicle warranty, as that includes the drive unit and battery; its more so the 4 year basic, as thats what was referenced in the loaner/demo doc.

The way it was explained to me is that mis-representation had occurred in the lead up to the purchase agreement/contract being put in place, which thus formed part of me signing that contract.
Anyhow, good news just in - they have now updated my warranty 😁

Upvote 0
Sales people puff the sale. They can and do exaggerate. In this case, the salesperson said you get the full new vehicle warranty, which you did. Only detail omitted was that it started when the vehicle was placed in service, not when your bought it. This is a buyer beware issue that the warranty says it is binding on you, and no representations by a salesmen or verbal representation override the written warranty, which you accepted, including binding arbitration on disputes, which you could have opted out of within your first 30 days of ownership. Again, you should read the legal documents binding you. I think the salesman did not really mislead you. I think you will have a hard time legally or through arbitration getting the warranty to fit what you wish, rather than what it says that you accepted when you signed for and purchased the car. Hopefully your car will be fine for a long time.

Upvote 0
Sales people puff the sale. They can and do exaggerate. In this case, the salesperson said you get the full new vehicle warranty, which you did. Only detail omitted was that it started when the vehicle was placed in service, not when your bought it. This is a buyer beware issue that the warranty says it is binding on you, and no representations by a salesmen or verbal representation override the written warranty, which you accepted, including binding arbitration on disputes, which you could have opted out of within your first 30 days of ownership. Again, you should read the legal documents binding you. I think the salesman did not really mislead you. I think you will have a hard time legally or through arbitration getting the warranty to fit what you wish, rather than what it says that you accepted when you signed for and purchased the car. Hopefully your car will be fine for a long time.

It’s been sorted now and Tesla updated my warranty. Just for info. This is the statement used by sales rep:

I can confirm that you will have a full 4 year warranty as per a new vehicle

Upvote 0