Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main Battery Module Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had a Tesla battery module failure? Are there statistics posted somewhere?

My freshly charged 2014 60KwHr Tesla (22,000 miles) exhibited a completely dark screen one morning last week when I went into my Garage to drive to work. Deep sleep reboot was to no avail. Tesla sent out a Tow truck. I did not know this, but behind the removable front grille there is an emergency 12V battery post from which the computers and displays can be booted from a portable lead acid battery. There was good news and bad news. The car could be placed in tow haul mode through the lit displays, BUT there was insufficient power for the car to be driven. So we pushed the car out of the garage by hand and they took it away. 2 Days later they called back and said they found one of the high voltage lithium battery modules contained at least one or more failed cells, a fault detected by the monitoring electronics, so the car would not allow operation. Tesla will give me a loaner module, return the car, and send my module back to the factory to be rebuilt.

This raises interesting questions. Although the cells are said to be exceedingly reliable, if the car has over 4000 of them, then the odds of a failure increase. Apparently there is no mechanism to automatically lock out a bad battery cell, and continue driving, unless perhaps a fuse is blown, so it will be interesting to see how many modules Tesla will have to be rebuild within the 8 year warranty period!

FYI, I had the previous week driven 150 miles and back to Loon Mountain NH to Ski. I used the supercharger in Hooksett twice, and the 30 amp charger at Loon. I would not have wished this failure to happen in ski country, 180 miles from the nearest Tesla service center.

I’ve been following the forum at the main TeslaMotors site for about 2.5 to 3 years, including the private owners’ threads, and I do recall seeing one thread about a failed module in the main battery. So yes, it has happened before, but it seems to be very rare. I tried to find it, but since search tools can’t see inside private threads, I think that’s why it’s not coming up.

To follow up my post: The key High Voltage power pack problem turned out to be: "Power switch update bulletin performed and replaced HV pack fuse and hardware as
required." This was due to "power switch impedance above normal levels." So the very good news was that actual battery cells did not fail. This greatly increases my confidence in Tesla technology! My model was a 2013 model and there have been some hardware updates TonyWright

Good to hear, I guess. My pack ("module" ??) melted down today :wave oops did I just mess up the modding of this :confused

Regen was halted, power was drastically reduced (least amount I'd ever experienced, I could usually not get it to the speed limit and had to use hazards a lot). It threatened that it may not come back on so I used camper mode to keep it on at a meeting and then we crawled back to the shop.

They told me a new pack is on the way from the factory.

Like with other issues, thankfully they seem to be dramatically improving over time. And they know it's an evolving technology, thus the warranty.

PS coming from a Chrysler family, I love all kinds of "limp modes" saved me a lot of hassle today. Thank you Tesla.

Last edited:
FYI, I had the previous week driven 150 miles and back to Loon Mountain NH to Ski. I used the supercharger in Hooksett twice, and the 30 amp charger at Loon. I would not have wished this failure to happen in ski country, 180 miles from the nearest Tesla service center.
My battery heating unit failed last week while I was at the Barstow Supercharger, rendering the car undrivable 115 miles away from the Costa Mesa service center. Tesla provided me a rental car and had the MS transported to Costa Mesa for repairs, and I was continuing my trip to Vegas in a very comfortable GMC Yukon within 45 minutes of calling roadside assistance. Weekend not ruined, and I picked up my car on the way home from Vegas a few days later. So yeah, while it is an awful feeling to have a dead car far from a service center, Tesla can deal with it in a very efficient and customer friendly manner.

Thread on it here: Battery coolant heater failure

I had a failure on my pack (d pack) not sure yet what the exact failure was only know that I have a loaner pack (the wonderfully dreaded A pack) on my car right now and for the next 3-4 months while my pack is sent to the factory for testing and hopefully to be fixed.
what I was told was that I had a leak into my pack. I have no idea how it happened. I have around 67k on my car and pack.