Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Main screen reboot while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their system reboot while driving? I was in Virginia on 95 the other day with navigation on when my screen went blank and rebooted itself. It came back in a few minutes and it is have been find since. Comments? Thanks

It happened once when I was on the way to the service center (ironically). I had switched back and forth between the browser and navigation a few times. When they pulled the logs they found the memory got corrupted with the screen switches and it caused the screen to crash.

It only happened once.

The car does not use the main screen or the dash screen. You can reboot it at your pleasure while driving. If something doesn't seem to be working, the first thing one would think of would be to restart the screen, and you don't have to stop to do it. I have done it a couple times. No Big Deal.
Well, you lose A/C, so there's that uncomfortable minute while it's not working if it's hot outside.
probably some other somewhat minor stuff.

thanks for all your comments. I did have the ports connected and I did lose the air conditioning for a few mins... Navigation still worked on the small side display that helped because my exit was coming up. Sounds like either a physical memory issue or a coding issue. thanks again

Wanted to share a tip. My X once rebooted itself when parked and wouldn't come back online. Screens stayed black - no response to any action, including the brake pedal.

This was after the car was sitting in a lot for a couple of hours and I had just gotten back to it to drive away.

Once I made sure all the doors were closed though it booted back up like a champ.

TILDR: If your car appears dead (even though it's got enough juice in the battery) close all the doors and try to power it on again.

Reactions: cybergates
I had a second spontaneous reboot of the center screen in the same place on the road as the first one almost exactly 1 year after the first one.

I also had both screens lock up when I started the car once. It would move (I backed it out of the garage), but it took a couple of reboots of both before everything went back to normal. Some of the elements of the instrument cluster took the longest to come back like the temperature gauge and the battery charge gauge.

Then for sure there is something wrong happening with the Streaming. Because my Tesla reboots a lot and the AC turns OFF when I am streaming. Lately the streaming has given me lots of errors loading. Has anyone taken their car in to check the issue of the car Rebooting?

I’m having the same rebooting and freezing issues when streaming tunin. The 3g connection is extremely slow and sluggish in my area. Does Tesla offer complementary upgrade to LTE since streaming is the only option for media. Also my MS is still under warranty if that matters

I’m having the same rebooting and freezing issues when streaming tunin. The 3g connection is extremely slow and sluggish in my area. Does Tesla offer complementary upgrade to LTE since streaming is the only option for media. Also my MS is still under warranty if that matters

If you have a Model S with "only" 3G connectivity, there's a paid upgrade to add LTE capability (somewhere around $500, if I remember right, at least that's what I paid). You can find several threads about it in the Model S (hint hint) forums. To my knowledge all Model Xs produced have LTE capability.

Bruce.

I’m driving my S from Scottsdale to Boston. It has rebooted several times. Sometimes I’m streaming, sometimes not. I think it’s either Linux or Tesla software that is crashing. But the drive is fine. Superchargers great, plus destination chargers. You can drive anywhere in a Tesla with no worries about electrons.

My new to me P85D did it on the first day I brought it home. We were actually parked at the supercharger and streaming music for the previous several hours was fine, but at the supercharger we browsed while streaming and connectivity disconnected and the screen froze. I drove away just to see if it would drive, and that was fine, then a few minutes later it rebooted itself and was fine several minutes later.

Ironic part was the webpage browsed when it crashed was Tesla's homepage. I am off to investigate the LTE upgrade, as I believe mine is just 3g.