Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$92k? Performance was $99,990, now $119,990.

I'm in the same boat. Wish the plaid was more than .1 seconds faster 0-60, but I'm still going Plaid. Gonna be driving by the Fremont factory / test drive area every weekend to see what they have

Somehow, this is my order agreement placed 1/10/21:

upload_2021-1-29_13-59-34.png

Somehow, this is my order agreement placed 1/10/21:

View attachment 631996

Because you somehow managed to order one without Ludicrous mode. o_O

But it really doesn't matter, they aren't going to make that vehicle. You either change to the new variant/trim, with a $2k discount, or get your $100 back. (I suppose they might be able to find you an inventory vehicle somewhere, but I think chances of that are very slim.)

Found it interesting that there is not a single picture of the Falcon Wing Doors open on the new landing page. This is after the previous page had a video at the top showcasing the doors opening and numerous other shots throughout. The only reference is a small mention in the utility section with a graphic on the bottom of the picture. Nothing earth shattering, just interesting that Tesla has realized that these aren't a selling point anymore.

Yeah, a roof rack would be a better selling point. One can dream.

Because you somehow managed to order one without Ludicrous mode. o_O

But it really doesn't matter, they aren't going to make that vehicle. You either change to the new variant/trim, with a $2k discount, or get your $100 back. (I suppose they might be able to find you an inventory vehicle somewhere, but I think chances of that are very slim.)

I'm just a little salty that there is no middle ground, it's either A or C, there's no B (like there was before).

Not sure how I ordered without ludicrous mode either.

Called into support line to get my performance order switched to plaid. Rep asked for plaid or plaid+, I stated this is X, so there's no plaid+. The she stated the $2k discount, so only $8k more (clearly confusing LR and Plaid pricing).

I asked about when they think there will be test drive vehicles available at the factory - she stated probably not for 6 weeks or so since the batches now are heading for Europe. Stated her and her co-workers in the Fremont factory have yet to see the vehicle too. I'm staying hopeful they get some demo/test drive vehicles out to the factory sooner..

Got "the call" today. Mostly validates what everybody is saying:
  • $2k off current price
  • "Cases" will be submitted en masse end of February for all those that elect to take this offer. At that time, it will be reflected on Tesla.com account
  • Can still make changes to order (wheels, LR<>Plaid, etc) and they will honor $2k "discount", as long as it's still MX
  • Delivery estimate is April (even though I ordered Jan 10 and was timing a March lease return)
  • There is no optional steering wheel. The YOKE is no JOKE.
So I kept my original order and said thanks. I'm very pleased by the update and believe that it's going to be great for me and my family. The ventilated seats alone make it worthwhile.

And yes, take it all with a grain of salt because those working at Tesla know less than nothing and it can all change with one stroke of the tweet.

I'm getting LR MSM/BLK 20" FSD 6-seat. Super tempted by Plaid, not because of straight-line acceleration, but because of dual torque vectoring motors driving rear wheels = awesome handling!

Fellow Pre-Announce Depositors:

I propose we stick together, make noise and hold Tesla responsible for a very clear “bait and switch” tactic in direct violation of the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.

bait and switch

Tesla should do the right thing here. We can’t be talking about more than $1M in lost revenue by matching the price. And clearly the people who put down a $100 deposit for a rumored refresh are Tesla super-fans. Is that really the audience Tesla wants to fraudulently deceive? Seems ripe for a plaintiffs litigation firm to profit from.

When did doing the right thing become so hard for Tesla?

Let’s stick together and demand the price Tesla promised?

Fellow Pre-Announce Depositors:

I propose we stick together, make noise and hold Tesla responsible for a very clear “bait and switch” tactic in direct violation of the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.

bait and switch

Tesla should do the right thing here. We can’t be talking about more than $1M in lost revenue by matching the price. And clearly the people who put down a $100 deposit for a rumored refresh are Tesla super-fans. Is that really the audience Tesla wants to fraudulently deceive? Seems ripe for a plaintiffs litigation firm to profit from.

When did doing the right thing become so hard for Tesla?

Let’s stick together and demand the price Tesla promised?

If you clicked disagree, do you mind telling us what part you disagree with?

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and csphili
If you clicked disagree, do you mind telling us what part you disagree with?

It has been covered in this, and other threads, many times already. Tesla is completely within the bounds of the order agreement/contract to cancel the order and refund the $100, non-refundable, order if they discontinue the vehicle ordered. And they did discontinue the vehicles that people ordered.

I'm not saying it is a great look, but I don't know of a way they could have handled it that would have been better for both sides. In this case the people who ordered early either get their order fee back or a $2k discount on a vehicle that Tesla is now making. If they had stopped taking orders early they likely would have been stuck with a lot of vehicles that they would have had to discount further than they already had. (As people would have started refusing delivery knowing that a major change was coming.) Especially the Model S LR+ that had just had the price lowered twice in quick succession to the meme price of $69,420.

I suppose if they had a lot of extra room at Fremont they could have left the old lines up and running and built completely new lines for the new cars. That way they could continue to pump the old version out to finish out the orders for the old variants. But they didn't have that luxury. (And really how many of the people that ordered really want the actual car they ordered. It seems that most don't, they want the new variant at the price the old variant had been discounted to.)

That and your ridiculous "We can’t be talking about more than $1M in lost revenue by matching the price." claim. That would mean they only received at most 125 orders, and only for the base LR version. My guess is that the number would be a lot closer to $100 million. (If not even significantly higher than that.)

Last edited:
What if (and hear me out), TSportLine sells an aftermarket steering wheel that's not a yoke? If management spends any time on TMC whatsoever they'll know that people hate the yoke and they'll be able to get away with charging a decent amount for a regular wheel.

This new update is perfect me if:

1) I can get a normal, non-yoke steering wheel (preferably from Tesla, but aftermarket works too)
2) you can disable the idiotic feature of automatic gear selection
3) the 6-seat configuration still comes with more comfortable seats
I think that wanting to get a "normal" non-yoke steering wheel ignors the fact that this car is intended to do the steering. The yoke is only needed as a secondary device. We're heading to a new world, like it or not. Of course you can still buy a Ford. I just hope they get it all perfected before my kids come for my keys!

Do we know how many KWH hours the new MX LR has? If its 90 then doesn't this mean Tesla will release a 100 KWH LR+ next year (probably for the same price and drop the price on the current model) with about 400 miles of range? Its maddening that Tesla spreads out the feature introduction like this and doesn't offer the best cars their basic technology clearly supports today. Its for this reason I placed an order for an R1S yesterday and am likely to get that car rather then the MX LR I currently have on order. The interior of the R1S looks infinitely nicer (ie, more luxury) then the Tesla, and the 2nd row has an armrest... WTF is Tesla thinking not to provide an armrest in the 2nd row of a 90k car? A

Its maddening that Tesla spreads out the feature introduction like this and doesn't offer the best cars their basic technology clearly supports today.

They probably have a good idea of demand, and they are still battery cell supply limited. So by putting a smaller battery in, with essentially the same range, they are able to sell, say ~10%, more S&X vehicles with their existing cell supply. i.e. furthering their goal of "accelerating the switch to sustainable energy/transportation."

But no, we don't know what the capacity of the packs they are putting in the new cars is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5JMJ
If there is no PRND, and i am in traffic light, and push the power ,will the car move forward or backward if it got cars both way? also If i want to depart from a parallel parking, who determine forwards or backwards motion?

I'm pretty sure that a gear selector is required per FMVSS, as is the display of that on the IC/screen. It just isn't require to be a stalk. Some cars use a stalk, others use a gear lever, others use a knob/dial, some use buttons. So you will be able to see what gear it is and will have the ability to change it. (The order of/direction of the movement for the gears on the selector is also set by the FMVSS regulations.)

Reactions: henderrj
If there is no PRND, and i am in traffic light, and push the power ,will the car move forward or backward if it got cars both way? also If i want to depart from a parallel parking, who determine forwards or backwards motion?

or if you are in the garage grabbing something out the back seat and you hit the pedal by accident.
or if you are sitting at a stop light and the large truck rolls back into you - will the car know to go backwards or forwards.
or if pulled up into your garage too far (blocking the workbench cabinet) will it know you want to back up two inches.

I could go on and on but smart people probably already have this covered somehow...