Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So maybe 5-10 people max in the whole company would know about it.

o_O Wow, only 5-10 people? :rolleyes:

There are way more people involved in anything than that. People determining features, signing off on features, designing the wheel, ordering the wheel, QC'ing the wheel, updating the wiring harness, updating the service documentation, updating the parts catalog, updating the VC controller, updating the gateway code, updating the UI, testing the software, testing the hardware, testing the car as it comes off the line, etc. And then all of their managers. Yeah, no there are way more than 5-10 people that knew about the heated steering wheel.

I agree with you up to a point, but then the whole 18 days down - what was that for? Was it positioning for the future? It's a bit odd to do that without changing something production-wise immediately because odds are something is sitting idle or unused. Something substantial has to be up.
Basic maintenance. Every single manufacturer in the world, besides Tesla, shuts down their plants on a yearly basis for 1-2 weeks to perform routine maintenance on the production line. Ford shuts down all 9 of their plants every summer for this. The one any only reason this normal function became noteworthy is because Tesla has never done it before.

Somebody crashed a drone into one of the tents over the body shop and it sprung a leak and they were like meh it's fine it's Cali but then it rained once and they were like oh man ship those cars with all the bad paint, fo rsure, but we should schedule a shutdown

You doubt it because Tesla's delivery estimates are so accurate? :rolleyes:

There has been both pictures and video tweeted:

https://twitter.com/klwtts/status/1348801310242455552
https://twitter.com/klwtts/status/1348802161803620353
Killowatts is just a Tesla fanboy page. That is not his Y and is simply posting information that was passed to him from an un-named source (commonly referred to as a leak).

Edit. In your link someone even asked him if these are being delivered already and he replied "I wish we knew". So that is not a delivery model, but a pre-delivery sitting at the Freemont facility (also has no temp tag on it). Video is pretty much guaranteed to have come from a factory worker. So again, if a factory worker can get a video of a Model Y heated steering wheel, Im damn sure they could get a video of X without FWDs or Plaid drivetrain.

Last edited:

There are way more people involved in anything than that. People determining features, signing off on features, designing the wheel, ordering the wheel, QC'ing the wheel, updating the wiring harness, updating the service documentation, updating the parts catalog, updating the VC controller, updating the gateway code, updating the UI, testing the software, testing the hardware, testing the car as it comes off the line, etc. And then all of their managers. Yeah, no there are way more than 5-10 people that knew about the heated steering wheel.

Ok fine, none of that really matters or changes my point though. Even if it's 50 people who are somehow tangentially involved in the design of the steering wheel, that's far less than the thousands per day on the factory floor that would see a major change like FWD.

OK, ok... 10-15 :p

In all seriousness I was hoping we'd have heard something by now :(

If the changes are done, why would you not leak some 'spy photos' or something if not an official statement. We have to wait until new cars show up in Europe to see what me new X will be? Maybe the same X, Maybe not? Ordered a week ago, expecting something on 1/11. You're killing me here Tesla.

The one problem that I have with the "everybody shuts down for two weeks" idea is that Tesla could have said "hey we're shutting down for maintenance". Why haven't they? and, yes, Tesla has things locked down. Tesla employees really believe in the mission. If they're told keeping this quiet is important, the vast majority of them will keep it quiet. So, we're waiting some more.

The one problem that I have with the "everybody shuts down for two weeks" idea is that Tesla could have said "hey we're shutting down for maintenance". Why haven't they? and, yes, Tesla has things locked down. Tesla employees really believe in the mission. If they're told keeping this quiet is important, the vast majority of them will keep it quiet. So, we're waiting some more.
Because they have no press office?

Hmm... Hope is fading. I guess too early for the 4680´s, and no reason to redesign for the 2170. Thus wait with the interior redesign until 4680 has enough volume for S/X? Conjecture, of course... I, for one, don't want a redesign with just a new dashboard. Give me the whole shebang!