Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t want to misquote the sales rep, but I confessed to being a Tesla fanboy and that I put $100 down after reading rumors of a refresh and wanted to trade up my 2020 Raven. I came away from the conversation with the impression that (1) we would have more to discuss after Wednesday and (2) the sales rep was even more excited than me.
I'd take ANYTHING the sales reps say with a grain of salt. They almost always know less than the average forum user (even about their current vehicles!). And with stuff like this, Tesla does a great job keeping it under wraps from any of the employees that aren't directly involved. They're basically like Apple when Steve Jobs was still around.

I'd take ANYTHING the sales reps say with a grain of salt. They almost always know less than the average forum user (even about their current vehicles!). And with stuff like this, Tesla does a great job keeping it under wraps from any of the employees that aren't directly involved. They're basically like Apple when Steve Jobs was still around.

Agreed. It’s a sales job.

If the refresh is minor, I think they may mention it on the call tomorrow. However if it is significant, I bet they do a separate unveiling. Elon loves those events packed with his faithful.

he COULD bundle that with the Cybertruck tweak update we've been promised....and maybe the "one more thing" moment can be the second half of our *fire* holiday update! :D

• Funny
Reactions: Ryshaw
That’s fine, but if your token becomes invalid for whatever reason, you’d need to re-login.

and if your devices can’t reach a network, they won’t be able to talk to the X, either.

Whether you use the app or the API, that mechanism is still routed via Tesla’s servers - requires network connectivity. And that’s the point - any piece of that stops working, the car won’t unlock for you.
These are solved technical problems though that won't take their programmers long to implement.

Just let the car grab the public keys for associated apps from Tesla's servers with 7 days expiration every day, and it will know how to authenticate your phone without internet as long as car has been online within the last 7 days. Also let the servers revoke public keys in case permissions change.

With the phone do something similar, use a refresh token with 3 months of validity. Warn the user a week before it expires to sign in again. Refresh token used to get standard tokens with 7 days validity every day.

Car challenges the phone over bluetooth, app send back up to 7 signatures, car accepts them.

Works offline any day, robust. I could write this code for the back-end, app and MCU in about a week, plus 3-4 weeks to make it production ready :). Alone. So it's not so tricky.

Bonus features: User could add new keys in the Tesla app, or use personal app as key on rentals at Tesla service.

I have an X on order.

My account page is not displaying either of my current Teslas or my order at this time...it's as if I don't own any...

Something is happening...anyone else seeing this?
Yes the site is wacky my 3 and y are showing as reservation numbers and the wrong color. My S RN takes me to an order page.
My Y LR RWD order does not show a car?
Perhaps a website update is happening?

These are solved technical problems though that won't take their programmers long to implement.

Just let the car grab the public keys for associated apps from Tesla's servers with 7 days expiration every day, and it will know how to authenticate your phone without internet as long as car has been online within the last 7 days. Also let the servers revoke public keys in case permissions change.

With the phone do something similar, use a refresh token with 3 months of validity. Warn the user a week before it expires to sign in again. Refresh token used to get standard tokens with 7 days validity every day.

Car challenges the phone over bluetooth, app send back up to 7 signatures, car accepts them.

Works offline any day, robust. I could write this code for the back-end, app and MCU in about a week, plus 3-4 weeks to make it production ready :). Alone. So it's not so tricky.

Bonus features: User could add new keys in the Tesla app, or use personal app as key on rentals at Tesla service.

Sure, plenty of ways to solve it... all of which "we" can't do. Tesla needs to. Like you said - it's fairly simple to solve, they just have to have the will and effort in doing so.

Let's see what happens tomorrow before I worry about the "what could be" .... have a feeling we're going to have a very interesting day.

Reactions: ChrML
Just to throw more fuel on the fire ...

Powered up my iPad that I haven’t used in a month or so. First prompt was to update the Tesla app, as the currently installed version is going to expire in 72 hours. Curious what THAT is all about! Wonder if there’s some hidden goodies in the current release ...?