Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major Yoke concerns from Consumer Reports initial review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just using for comparison. People said how dangerous that was, wouldn’t buy a car with that, inconvenient, etc. And now? Rarely a peep about it.

anyway….no one is forcing anybody to buy a car with the yoke. And there will be 3rd party options.
Right. So back to the point; people won’t buy it. Mass market adoption is not possible when you literally reinvent the wheel for no good reason.

Then again, this is the same company that is heavily invested in Bitcoin. Which also runs counter to their mission statement.

As long as we’re all on the same page that Elon is a total hypocrite and just does what he wants. His actions and words cannot be reconciled.

Honestly, the only downside I've found so far to the yoke itself (rather than the buttons, which I deplore) is that I can't steer with my left knee any more to briefly free up my hands (when no sharp turns are in my immediate future.)

But after almost two weeks and 800 miles with those damned turn buttons, I've just barely begun to make peace with them. It just takes a lot of muscle memory training. I hate having to look down to find them. Also wish I could see the blinking arrows without having to look down; they can easily fix that by making them bigger and moving them to the top of that display panel. I'm really hoping that much happens soon, so I can pick them up in my peripheral vision while keeping my eyes on the road.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
L
Honestly, the only downside I've found so far to the yoke itself (rather than the buttons, which I deplore) is that I can't steer with my left knee any more to briefly free up my hands (when no sharp turns are in my immediate future.)

But after almost two weeks and 800 miles with those damned turn buttons, I've just barely begun to make peace with them. It just takes a lot of muscle memory training. I hate having to look down to find them. Also wish I could see the blinking arrows without having to look down; they can easily fix that by making them bigger and moving them to the top of that display panel. I'm really hoping that much happens soon, so I can pick them up in my peripheral vision while keeping my eyes on the road.
Yup. Musk made the primary control inputs quite frustrating and distracting—who knew that was a design goal? “All input is error” indeed.

The change from physical stalks to haptic buttons is utter garbage; an obvious money saver marketed as ‘progress’; insultingly poor ergonomics; a dealbreaker.

Surprise! Usual crowd with narrative yoke is dangerous and should be investigated here. Move along nothing to see. While everyone else who is not stuck in the past are adopting the future. Thank you Tesla and Elon for moving humanity with giant steps in to the future and beyond.
Maybe somebody is saying the yoke is dangerous and should be investigated, but not me. OTOH, you seem to believe the yoke is fine as it is, and Tesla being as wonderful as they are for humanity (no argument there) shouldn't suffer anyone complaining about some paltry safety concerns with the directional buttons. OK, but that seems as extreme a position, just in the opposite polarity. I love the yoke, I just hate the directional buttons. And I do think they are a safety concern, but I'm hardly calling for an investigation LOL.

Reactions: Matias
I can’t say I’m a fan of the yoke. My model S should be here in about three weeks. I’m going to give it a try. I ordered before all the price increase, so if I hate it I can probably bail out of it and not lose any money.

It still wouldn’t be my first choice. It’s going to be even worse when I have to go back-and-forth between our model Y and other cars. I can only imagine how much complaining I’m gonna hear from my wife too. There was no reason to reinvent the wheel and basically there’s no benefit I see in a street car for a yoke.

Reactions: Boza and Dan_Foster
With a round steering wheel, or with a yoke, I signal my turns long before I begin turning the steering. I cannot remember in my 50 years of driving where I started to signal after my steering was upside down. Don't be silly.
OMG, you hit the nail on the head. It infuriates me to no end when I am sitting at a red light, and the driver in front of me decides to put his blinker on only after the light turns green! Turn on your signal BEFORE you change lanes/make a turn. The purpose of a turn signal is exactly that: signaling other people of your intent, not to let them know that you are turning when you already are. UGH.

Reactions: Iain
If no manual transmissions previously existed -, and a manufacturer included a clutch pedal and gear shifter between the seats, CR would complain the extra pedal and shifter added nothing to the driving experience and are unsafe. It requires that both feet leave the floor at the same time reducing driver stability.
Coming to a stop is actually dangerous as two pedals must be pressed to avoid killing the engine: Not recommended!

Reactions: WhiteWi
First time Tesla owner here coming from two stick shift BMW Ms, an m550, and most recently an ‘18 911 Carrera manual. Got a stripper LR, almost didn’t even take delivery as I was still loving the Porsche, and it is easily the most incredible vehicle I’ve ever driven. The yoke felt like driving with a box of cereal for about two blocks, but I love it now. My 911 now feels “quaint” in comparison if you can believe that, and it is headed for the auction block. Some of these yoke review videos are comical. I find it effortless to operate, and I would be willing to bet eventual data shows how much safer it actually pis. No longer can you drive carelessly with one wrist on top of the wheel. It has ended my bad habit of steering with my knee. It requires more engagement/attention with driving. The turn signals have been a slower adjustment, but I’m about 85% there after three weeks. and they again require a little more attention and thought be paid to the action. The fat turning radius of the Model S is a bit of a pain in a downtown urban setting, but very minor. As someone who has actually driven the yoke for more than a weekend, I’m a big “for.”

Reactions: SO16
Surprise! Usual crowd with narrative yoke is dangerous and should be investigated here. Move along nothing to see. While everyone else who is not stuck in the past are adopting the future. Thank you Tesla and Elon for moving humanity with giant steps in to the future and beyond.
Careful, you can drown in kool-aid.

It's interesting that Musk says the benefit of the yoke is to provide better visibility of the instrument cluster - a cluster that is not even present in the 3/Y because it's so unimportant. So which is it? I wonder what his justification of the yoke will be if it comes to haunt the 3/Y as well?

Careful, you can drown in kool-aid.

It's interesting that Musk says the benefit of the yoke is to provide better visibility of the instrument cluster - a cluster that is not even present in the 3/Y because it's so unimportant. So which is it? I wonder what his justification of the yoke will be if it comes to haunt the 3/Y as well?
It’s whichever the fanbois think.

In the Model S, it provides great visibility.
In the Model Y, is cool looking.

In neither model is it functional, safe, or enjoyable. Absolutely ruins the driving experience.

It’s whichever the fanbois think.

In the Model S, it provides great visibility.
In the Model Y, is cool looking.

In neither model is it functional, safe, or enjoyable. Absolutely ruins the driving experience.
You'll be able to swap it out for a wheel. Stalks too. Somebody is working on a DIY for this now, and my guess is Tesla will too. He said he will post detailed instructions later.