Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the Model 3 trunk lid close more easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed this 2 weeks ago, I would say it's still a two hand effort to close the trunk lid. One hand is grabbing the area inside the trunk and pulling the trunk lid down and at the last 1/3 of travel other hand presses down onto the tailgate handle to finish the job. I don't feel comfortable just grabbing the tailgate handle and pulling down in one big swoop motion. Over time the repeated stress placed on those license plate screws is something I'm mindful of so over all the tailgate handle does the job of preventing those annoying finger/hand prints on the trunk or spoiler.

Wish the model 3 had a button like the model S to close the trunk. My neighbor has a late model mercedes E class, said hello when he was leaving to a birthday party hands full of gifts then sweeps his foot under the rear bumper and the trunk opens. I'm washing my car in the driveway and thinking why Tesla doesn't have this feature.

Yep, this seems like such a shortcoming! 5' 2" Grandma, and I LOVE my 3. But have to put everything on the ground so I can close the trunk. REALLY?? That feature is on so many cars these days. Really seems like a design disappointment!! Or hurried release of my 3.
Has anyone tried the aftermarket electric trunk openers/ CLOSERS that are offered? Not just the updated struts that make the trunk fly open. Those make it even harder to close. But don't want to void any warranty.

You know, I was worried about this and like many others was considering replacing the trunk struts. But after trying the trunk the other day at the showroom, I honestly didn't see the problem. It didn't close any more inconveniently than my last Prius. The only thing it can't do is come up all the way when you pop it open, which I agree is an inconvenience, but not a big deal to me (yet).

Now, the frunk...that's a different story. It's way too difficult to close—it really shouldn't require two hands. I might consider modifying that.

I found the trunk lid on our Model 3 required quite a bit of force to close. I wondered if this could be improved, and found the answer is yes!
  • Apply a few drops of light oil to all of the pivots (yellow arrows). I like Zoom Spout, but 3 in 1 or any light oil should work.
  • Apply a drop of light oil to the strut rod (green arrow). (Of course do this for both the left and right side)
zsIJzktRkBMfxPrqrBYoBuhDfgPbuwsxAEhrxZNpM7jQluHbENScbu0Rq9OW_lwEacrKY6NmvbYUijdjNO3GoSHHkDVH5ydHEGWVgpB4pDJ-mPqRGUzqGGte_NjkF91ai2eG-vQ9wYWVgagRtl4jWY_C8ginu9Z3aM6DaorizYMsq3EIUSGVdIpDPThrizaclugC-706gkJZxvUMAvuUjVeBSCGKiaxxd8B9_w71L9vTX-mS_ZjtMBpMvmGb24GCkBuYQEdKcuulJrVf0kONX1yCDC0kgTlOyGhWrBsEUckEj9iZFY_PUqJejdrUV3NylAHGPsxBEASGXKVxAVZ9bvT1G3QxaUauo-hdpPup1LOHcKavHgbKEfqshCCahP8VSb6h-YAsOOaZax7FUTJZ-OGXd7JGTmyjOrzcRFUc7RTuRrv_MVRsw2myxgLjzcHI2La7Akm6jmGFThDPIKG5QW-4ubGHWo32Lp3rcvjqow2KpxR7YYJo7SlPcaQf4mmS7aSaR8lMgsTDq1r2Ceag-vT5JtwRJg0_C755m_oloWUGDaMf3r2IgczAR6ewV8GyqZrHBY6cnkGgdmUQctUkzWiAUCZb0LeC_CqK8O1Pme4NDgLCTX6hjRhAnF4yR_b_dvA9s08KnRNUgYunlgqNn0YFm4FTRu3C5refrGef2vfdkfnvIQDPpiYr-A=w468-h623-no

• Remove the spring bumpers
    • Carefully pull off the rubber cover. I find it's easiest to pinch near the top to get it unseated.
    • Press in the 3 tabs holding the spring unit into the trunk lid. Use a plastic tool to avoid scratching the paint.
XNuqIyVbI0YZ9eTULkOFfpLi1Pw-9dvvvFPbUT8oUC0cs3_At-1XcfV9hHjMZzxl7cOQFvWRTouVPKXLDW-OcLkb0DHQG5BNpqi_fUsABBHR3QEb-ZTjVweG7nrbRq_nRVQGb-rjlSTgbO3Dr_JNhMnxHtUvK53YDarD9PC6ng8fEbaow4UxYjMPZR1lXs2jMtT6KQpn9h_90dyM_7Nws4nezASBYcdnPb_owo4WfMnCg8K8Bsoxw_DlkLTC0D7xMpWMRT1FytXhWwFStipYwseS1hiIdlE46VPKAOT4_mWEXJrVRFlezwwtEcjvclBIOrI1m7l98C9otpKKaH7qyUXBXDkoc4TTCJabKGZdtKLUQfbENhV__u7aAG5syzMfG9vEqbADlnBKggo1C8_ZUzVI5w7IowyE5RDiVR6ASpH7no9gNciCZG2SxXpm1mXrsR-P1YuDxMtVpO3yiFqKP1G8OMFMKhg5KC8SOR281XOtg0u1mVfscWOy9bzR32T5Rh3kc8VMc6uqt_G5lj-Gyp_3Lgng4H_79KXC3jyi6D12ZAM0XPYrtp755-dx7gO-jCUBAzzmnYlVStrc0MEf6ywImfTN0EwUXJXsUEz4yshFa5QaUa-Dy5gvvClDOn4BqmhGSaDwJF-JDNLnocv7vIxE0YkLmcE4tveQP7eDqrMgDXeAm_UXZmCHFQ=w724-h623-no

• Using strong cutters, remove about 1.5 coils from the spring, from the side closer to the car. Be sure to bend the cut off end in some, so that the spring stays centered.
  • Remove the "excess" coils.
  • Put the rubber cover back on the bumper.
  • Put the bumper back in the trunk lid. It has an index tab and can only go in one way.

I can now close the trunk lid with one motion :cool:

Thanks!

-Jason
Nice job. I don’t think it is hard to sweep it closed but my latch doesn’t always click and I need to push on the trunk or feel like I am slamming it.

It is important to check that after reducing short stopping spring capability, trunk edge is NOT ABLE to touch the edge it meets when slapping the trunk.
It can't be seen with naked eye as if it happens it takes less than few milliseconds. Push the trunk with great force when it is already closed
observe, is there a gap between trunk lip and edge it meets. At least 1mm should be left. Sand and other pollutants will be there one day, waiting to be slapped.

It is important to check that after reducing short stopping spring capability, trunk edge is NOT ABLE to touch the edge it meets when slapping the trunk.
It can't be seen with naked eye as if it happens it takes less than few milliseconds. Push the trunk with great force when it is already closed
observe, is there a gap between trunk lip and edge it meets. At least 1mm should be left. Sand and other pollutants will be there one day, waiting to be slapped.
mine seems to rub from the factory?