Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Making the Model 3 trunk lid close more easily

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to make my trunk easier to close by replacing one of the struts with a lighter-weight one (https://amzn.com/B0031HT8JS). No longer do I need to slam the trunk lid to get it to latch.

I then took the old strut and replaced one of the frunk struts, and now it self-lifts when I open the frunk.

I thought about simply swapping a trunk strut with a frunk strut, but if memory serves the frunk strut is too small for the trunk, which is why I ended up buying a new one.

Reactions: ftlum
I was able to make my trunk easier to close by replacing one of the struts with a lighter-weight one (https://amzn.com/B0031HT8JS). No longer do I need to slam the trunk lid to get it to latch.

I then took the old strut and replaced one of the frunk struts, and now it self-lifts when I open the frunk.

I thought about simply swapping a trunk strut with a frunk strut, but if memory serves the frunk strut is too small for the trunk, which is why I ended up buying a new one.

So wouldn't the rear strut then be too big for the frunk?

The "perfect" method for closing the factory new Model 3 trunk is quite easy and doesn't require any strength.

1. Start closing by grabbing the handle inside of the trunk lid and start moving the trunk down.
2. Once you are past the pivot point, relocate this hand and position it on the rear license plate frame/bracket.
3. Execute a firm push down and the trunk will close and latch.

It doesn't require any real strength to do, and for step 3 my 4 year old is definitely strong enough to do it. Doing it this way also means you never come into contact with the car's paint, so you're not going to scuff it up by repeatedly putting your hand on the trunk deck.

Cutting springs and messing with factory parts? Uh, no.

That's the procedure I do, if I can't get the momentum to close it on step 1 (which sometimes it does with ease).

My wife intentionally grabs the back and paws on the paint, stating it's gonna get dirty sometime. :'-(

The "perfect" method for closing the factory new Model 3 trunk is quite easy and doesn't require any strength.

1. Start closing by grabbing the handle inside of the trunk lid and start moving the trunk down.
2. Once you are past the pivot point, relocate this hand and position it on the rear license plate frame/bracket.
I've actually figured out how to close the trunk in one swift move without touching the exterior at all. :cool: Just grab the interior handle and pull the lid down while making a "bow", then pull out your hand at the right moment. Kind of like this guy, just holding the handle instead of the hat: ;)

XEM8QC0.gif

With just the right amount of momentum my trunk closes nicely without slamming it.

I've actually figured out how to close the trunk in one swift move without touching the exterior at all. :cool: Just grab the interior handle and pull the lid down while making a "bow", then pull out your hand at the right moment. Kind of like this guy, just holding the handle instead of the hat: ;)

XEM8QC0.gif

With just the right amount of momentum my trunk closes nicely without slamming it.

Now they just need to put a speaker on the Model 3 that says "good day to you as well sir" when you do this.

It doesn't require any real strength to do, and for step 3 my 4 year old is definitely strong enough to do it. Doing it this way also means you never come into contact with the car's paint, so you're not going to scuff it up by repeatedly putting your hand on the trunk deck.

Cutting springs and messing with factory parts? Uh, no.

+1!! This is what I do.

Reactions: insaneoctane
When i first got my TM3, the trunk was very firm to close, and I always found myself doing the 2 hand method.
1. Grab inner handle, pull down halfway
2. Other hand graps spoiler and pushes down to complete the close.

Now I simply do the same thing that @Eno Deb does. "Good day to you sir" one smooth motion, one hand on the inside only. No slamming at all.

What I found is that if the trunk is left open for a longer period of time (1-2 min or so), it is harder to close. This effect seems to be more prevalent when the outside temperature is warmer as well.
There should be some lubricating oil inside gas strut. Maybe it settles to the opposite side within a minute. Warmer=lower viscosity.

I wouldn't need to use my trunk as often if there was only a decent place to put my water bottle inside the cabin.
5gallonwaterjugs-mount-vernon-211x300.jpg

That might be excessive consumption. Check for leaks.:eek: