Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Questioner - "Elon, when will we get to see the taillight design for the Model 3?"

Elon - "We will have the taillight at the end of March."

OMG!!!! They're only going to have the taillight at the 'Reveal' !!!!!!
Yep. This is immediately clear to anyone who bothered to actually look at the video rather than just read reports that throw in all their on interpretations. Elon was asked about pictures and he responded about pictures. That does not mean all they will show are pictures at the unveiling. It doesn't make much sense to have a huge unveiling just to show some pictures.

I am not surprised as I read an article in late December saying that the Model 3 was still in the conceptional stage and a prototype was not in the foreseeable future. Add to it all the issues with the Model X rollout I am sure they have their hands full.

It it appears the problems with the Model X have been corrected and they are starting to deliver production cars. It looks like at least 200 production cars have been delivered in the last week. Very few of those who have ordered a Model X are active on this forum and even fewer put their info in the ModelXTracker database. Therefore it is really hard to know exact numbers. There are still some Signature owners who do not have their cars, some because they delayed in configuring their car and others due to initial production line problems.

I am not surprised as I read an article in late December saying that the Model 3 was still in the conceptional stage and a prototype was not in the foreseeable future.
Hmmm... This statement looks disturbingly like... BAIT.

Meh. I'll bite...

Where was this article published? Who was the author? Whom was his source?

If it was in [WHISKEY JULIET] or on [SINKING ANCHOR], it can be ignored.

If it was written by Cory Johnson or Jim Cramer, it can be ignored.

If the source was not identified or amounted to naught more than 'it may seem to some' or 'some people claim', it can be ignored.

Just sayin'.

If y'all remember, the driveable alpha prototype of Model S, when the first "spy pics" of it caught in the wild on the road were taken, *had no interior*. Loose wiring everywhere.

If that's the stage they're at with Model 3, they might be willing to show photos of the exterior of an actual prototype, but totally unwilling to let anyone get up on stage and look inside.

Even if the interior is in the state which the Model S interior was in at the formal reveal (with completely different seats from the production seats, among other things), they might not want people looking too much at the inside.

If I were to guess based on Tesla's history, I'd guess the exterior is pretty much designed and the prototype is driveable, but they may have a lot of interior decisions left to make. To avoid confusion they might not show off a totally-not-final interior.
Showing off a non-final interior is much better than showing no interior. Of course, it should try to be as close as possible to the actual production interior. They shouldn't for instance show an interior with a 17" LCD, and then when they release the car the LCD is gone. Or folding rear seats and then it's gone on the production version. No overpromising would be good.

I don't know why everybody says Model 3 will have no 17" LCD when this could be one of the cheapest parts of the car... please, we are in 2016, LCD touchscreens ARE REALLY CHEAP. I will not be surprised if it cost less than 100$. Take this feature that is almost Tesla DNA out from Model 3 has no sense.

I don't know why everybody says Model 3 will have no 17" LCD when this could be one of the cheapest parts of the car... please, we are in 2016, LCD touchscreens ARE REALLY CHEAP. I will not be surprised if it cost less than 100$. Take this feature that is almost Tesla DNA out from Model 3 has no sense.
I agree, I just used it as an example. But I'm not so sure the LCD will be 17". The Model 3 should be narrower, so it's entirely possible it will be something like 15" to fit into the interior better. (If they show the car with a 17" and it launches with a 15", I think people will forgive that.)

Questioner - "Elon, when will we get to see the taillight design for the Model 3?"

Elon - "We will have the taillight at the end of March."

OMG!!!! They're only going to have the taillight at the 'Reveal' !!!!!!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Way to go!

I think I am known in the TMC community for not being a Tesla "fanboy", but this thread and its OP or actually, guys like him in general, really make me wanna puke. Asking rhetorical questions or trying to stir up unnecessary panic, just because he has a (badly hidden) agenda, doesn't make for good forum behaviour.
Not looking up the proper source material or ignoring/ridiculing answers that don't support his views doesn't help either. This guy "valuationmatters" is the definition of a spoilsport imho.

Anyway, I don't even care - personally - whether Elon shows just pictures of the Model 3 prototype or an actual full-size prototype on stage at the event at the end of March. As long as he shows it at all, I am very happy. And knowing that neither Model S nor Model X production models looked exactly like the prototypes I don't expect to be what will be shown in March to be the final form either - but at least a very close approximation.

Last edited:
I agree, I just used it as an example. But I'm not so sure the LCD will be 17". The Model 3 should be narrower, so it's entirely possible it will be something like 15" to fit into the interior better. (If they show the car with a 17" and it launches with a 15", I think people will forgive that.)

At one time Elon said that the Model 3 will only get one screen, not two like in the TMS/X. But he did not say witch one will stay and witch will go... And it was a long time ago, so he may have changed his mind since then...

But yes, I have always expected what you say here: The smaller TM3 will get a smaller 15" screen in the console.

At one time Elon said that the Model 3 will only get one screen, not two like in the TMS/X. But he did not say witch one will stay and witch will go... And it was a long time ago, so he may have changed his mind since then...
The statement wasn't very absolute, it had a "maybe", "possibly" or something similar in it, and I don't think it was Musk who said it, I think it was someone else at Tesla.

I think it will have two screens.

The statement wasn't very absolute, it had a "maybe", "possibly" or something similar in it, and I don't think it was Musk who said it, I think it was someone else at Tesla.

I think it will have two screens.

It was definitely Elon who said that. I can't remember any "maybe" og "possibly" in the statement, but that can be my memory that is failing ;) Tried to find a link, but did not find any... (But it must be before 19. feb. 2014, as I found a reference (by me :p) to that statement posted on that day.)

But yes, despite what Elon has said, I do also expect it to have 2 screens.

Ergonomics and Visibility are key. The Model ≡ will likely be narrower than the Model S, but still wider than its contemporaries: 3-Series, A4, ATS, IS, etc. There is no reason to change the size of the display. Some had estimated/measured the screen in the prototype Model X as 19" or so, but it is the same as a Model S in a Production version.

The expense, if any, isn't the screen, so much as the computing power behind it. And that, even if updated considerably since 2012, will probably be less expensive, especially with higher numbers being ordered from the vendor, nVidia. There are many reasons why Elon Musk continually mentions economies of scale.
pcmag_-_ihs-tesla-model-s-teardown-credit-ihs.jpg

PC Mag -- IHS Tears Down Tesla's Model S

As it is, there are people over age fifty (and some over forty) that complain that text on the Model S display can sometimes be too small to see without reading glasses. Others, though rarely, complain that the hot spot for on-screen buttons is at times not as forgiving as they would like, requiring more precise touches to activate things like the garage door opener than they would prefer. Try squishing the same control interface into smaller real estate, and the advantage of a touchscreen over a multitude of buttons is largely lost.

It will be the same size. The screen is what separates tesla from the other car brands.
well, that and the regular over air updates, the beta release program, the excellent charging network, the continuous in model improvement, no dealer network, direct ordering, excellent telematics , the best AP on the market:biggrin:
sorry, couldn't resist a "what have the romans done for us" moment, just without the togas! :cool:

17" may appear proportionally out of place in the smaller 3, and they may drop it to 15" for product differentiation from the S & X as well.
Proportion is of no consequence. I'm 6'-1" tall whether I sit in the driver's seat of a Honda CR-X, Toyota Corolla, Acura TLX, or Lexus LS. And whether it is a Chevrolet Spark, Cruze, Malibu, or Corvette the distance from my right shoulder to the tip of my index finger on my right hand is the same. Any vehicle that doesn't have 8.333~" inches across, and 14.814~" vertical spacing between the top of the dash and the center console area is probably too small for me to drive anyway.

Google

An actual drawing (from Tesla) for those who just can't wait.
Basically, it's a smaller version of the Model S.

Lets assume for a minute that this actually is a drawing from Tesla. Why should I believe this is what the Model 3 would like?
There were many drawings with only one drawing that matters and I doubt this is it. To imply this is what the Model 3 will look like is conjecture at best.

Lets assume for a minute that this actually is a drawing from Tesla. Why should I believe this is what the Model 3 would like?
There were many drawings with only one drawing that matters and I doubt this is it. To imply this is what the Model 3 will look like is conjecture at best.

Based on the wheels, I'd guess it's an early concept sketch for the Model X.

I think there's a zero percent chance the Model 3 will have an "old style" fake grille like this.