Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question for you. Do you believe the DNC used voter suppression in Super Tuesday by closing stations, especially in Texas.

Long voting lines in Texas renew accusations of voter suppression

AOC implies voter suppression cost Bernie Sanders Michigan primary: 'Kids were waiting three hours' to vote

Please don't just say Republicans are worse.

The first article about Texas mixes the lack of active voting machines (sufficient for increased turn-out), with the closing of 750 polling stations. While the first could very well be the DNC's responsibility, it is not clear if the second (probably bigger) problem is a general one (and will also affect the November election).

I think there were problems in other states as well. In any case, I think everyone agrees that those long lines are not acceptable, and that something went wrong. That's an important step to fixing it. (I hope.)

when I move, I only remember to file a change of address with the post office to forward my mail to the new address. That service only lasts for 90 days. When I was in college, I moved at least twice every year, and then out of college, I rented and needed to move about once a year. I missed many elections (both at Fed and State level), because although my vote was important to me, the election process was not. Purging people and putting the onus on them to re-register is disenfranchising to some people (because of how their lives work), and that affects the results.

That's a weak argument, and one that is basically "it's not convenient for me to be responsible and re-register to vote.". Periodically checking and purging the voter rolls is necessary. What happens if you have a relatively generic name and have registration at 2 addresses because you moved frequently. When I moved, CA state allowed me to keep my old copy of my driver's license. I literally had two copies, with two addresses.

That is a scenario RIPE for abuse. And given the level of hatred exhibited here for the current administration, I'm absolutely certain that if that opportunity existed that some people would deem is "morally necessary" or however else they wanted to justify it to vote more than once.

Reactions: ccook
Medicare for all is exponentially more expensive. And that 1.5T is not a "lost expense". Just like with the last QE, it will be drawn down at a future date.

I.e. it's a loan, not a grant.

From the investor thread:

. Social Injustices--when the Fed Reserve says they will pump 1.5T into the mkt's, what they mean is that the US govt will print govt bonds(IOU's which will never be paid back if you think about it) and the Fed Reserve will print electronic 000's and buy the bonds.Then the govt gets it first, followed by banks and large corporations as cheap cheap money. The govt expects the avg Joe to get the benefit years later, when businesses start to spend it, make loans, govt can create some new social programs and etc, but during the acute time of need, not much happens.

From the investor thread:

That is incorrect. The Fed's Repo process is the exchange of one asset for another. The Fed prints dollars and exchanges it for Treasurys. In theory, it is supposed to be unwound when the crisis is over. What we learned from 2009 and the $4T of QE 1/2/3 is that it's hard to unwind without going back into a recession (December 2018).

If the Fed printed $1.5T and gave to the US Treasury to spend on services, that would be different and akin to MMT. We're almost there if rates go to zero and we can't find anyone to buy our debt. Japan is already at this point.

That is incorrect. The Fed's Repo process is the exchange of one asset for another. The Fed prints dollars and exchanges it for Treasurys. In theory, it is supposed to be unwound when the crisis is over. What we learned from 2009 and the $4T of QE 1/2/3 is that it's hard to unwind without going back into a recession (December 2018).

If the Fed printed $1.5T and gave to the US Treasury to spend on services, that would be different and akin to MMT. We're almost there if rates go to zero and we can't find anyone to buy our debt. Japan is already at this point.

Correct. And Japan has been at this point for a decade.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan
There were 309,000 voters summarily purged , 120,000 of them only for not voting since 2012, not because they were dead, just didn’t vote as reported late 2019

Constitution never guaranteed a "right to perpetual voter registration". If those people want to vote and they were purged, re-register. In all 50 states anyone that wants to vote and register on election day at a local polling station.

So you accept that 120,000 voters were unregistered just because they didn't vote in the last main election, and defend it by saying that it is possible to re-register? Uhmm, as opposed to never be allowed to vote again?

When the argument being made is that voting is made inconvenient for a purpose, in the context of general voter turnout is horribly low anyway?

So you accept that 120,000 voters were unregistered just because they didn't vote in the last main election, and defend it by saying that it is possible to re-register? Uhmm, as opposed to never be allowed to vote again?

When the argument being made is that voting is made inconvenient for a purpose, in the context of general voter turnout is horribly low anyway?

Convenient that you ignore the post where I expound upon this. Market politics

So you are saying that voters who only vote in main elections and miss once, should get unregistered by principle?

I'm saying it's complicated, and that if they were sent a letter (which they were) and don't respond to maintain that registration, yes they should be removed and have to re-enroll.

Your argument is akin to saying that once someone has a driver's license that they should never have it expire. The world simply doesn't, nor shouldn't, work like that.

So you are saying that voters who only vote in main elections and miss once, should get unregistered by principle?
@Norbert
Stacey abrams concession speech”... You see, despite a record high population in Georgia, more than a million citizens found their names stripped from the rolls by the Secretary of State, including a 92 year-old civil rights activist who had cast her ballot in the same neighborhood since 1968. Tens of thousands hung in limbo, rejected due to human error and a system of suppression that had already proven its bias. The remedy, they were told, was simply to show up – only they, like thousands of others, found polling places shut down, understaffed, ill-equipped or simply unable to serve its basic function.....”

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
I'm saying it's complicated, and that if they were sent a letter (which they were) and don't respond to maintain that registration, yes they should be removed and have to re-enroll.

Your argument is akin to saying that once someone has a driver's license that they should never have it expire. The world simply doesn't, nor shouldn't, work like that.

A driver's license is a privilege, not a birth right.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Especially those who think it's just the Republican party.

I think some are happy that a certain candidate for Florida governor didn't win election last time. Thanks voter suppression?
@dmunjal
Yes perhaps, what exactly did you have against Andrew Gollum, if that is whom you are referring to
Please be specific.
Right now Ron Desantis is attempting voter suppression by going against voters who voted _for_ amendment to re-enfranchise ex-felons whom did their time
Way too many folks who want to remove the voting franchise rather than let all citizens and residents vote
If you wish, you could comment on Ex governor, now Senator Rick “skeleton” Scott who it was reported did massive Medicare fraud, and others, most not surprisingly, presently, Republicans.

@dmunjal
Yes perhaps, what exactly did you have against Andrew Gollum, if that is whom you are referring to
Please be specific.
Right now Ron Desantis is attempting voter suppression by going against voters who voted _for_ amendment to re-enfranchise ex-felons whom did their time
Way too many folks who want to remove the voting franchise rather than let all citizens and residents vote
If you wish, you could comment on Ex governor, now Senator Rick “skeleton” Scott who it was reported did massive Medicare fraud, and others, most not surprisingly, presently, Republicans.

I don't know Gillum at all. Just that the recent news would likely require him to step down if he had won.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-outbreak-response-trump-us

F
rom the article:

Perhaps Trump’s greatest blunder was turning down the offer of a German-made diagnostic test approved by the World Health Organization and taken up by many countries. The US government’s own painfully slow progress led to a nationwide shortage of test kits at the most critical moment. It was reported that just 11,000 tests have been conducted in America so far, whereas South Korea is carrying out 10,000 tests per day.

Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told the Bloomberg news agency: “This is an unmitigated disaster that the administration has brought upon the population, and I don’t say this lightly. We have had a much worse response than Iran, than Italy, than China and South Korea.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/coronavirus-outbreak-response-trump-us

F
rom the article:

Perhaps Trump’s greatest blunder was turning down the offer of a German-made diagnostic test approved by the World Health Organization and taken up by many countries. The US government’s own painfully slow progress led to a nationwide shortage of test kits at the most critical moment. It was reported that just 11,000 tests have been conducted in America so far, whereas South Korea is carrying out 10,000 tests per day.

Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told the Bloomberg news agency: “This is an unmitigated disaster that the administration has brought upon the population, and I don’t say this lightly. We have had a much worse response than Iran, than Italy, than China and South Korea.”

The issue is that the so-called "blunder" has only one side of the story. What CDC developed is a different test than what WHO had; heck, the main countries involved all have different tests.

So the question really is, 'what is the efficacy of the CDC-developed test relative to the others?' Is the CDC test more accurate, say at 99% while the WHO test is only 90%? (just making up numbers here) If so, perhaps the delay was worthwhile as the CDC test will have fewer false positives and false negatives. (The new fast test being used in Singapore has a 90% accuracy, for example.)

Yes, I get that CDC has failed to respond to the question. And that may be due to embarrassment, or perhaps bcos they don't want to call out the quality of the WHO test in comparison to theirs? (not good for international relations in the public health world) Or, as some partisans are inferring, the WH directed CDC to only make it in America?

In any event, without the answer, it's only the appearance of a blunder. IMO, he's had a whole lotta verbal blunders in the past week. Communicator-in-chief he is not.

note, the 2 week delay due to kit malfunctions is just a total screw up, and Trump shoulda taken the high road: 'despite old bureaucratic mechanisams that caused delays, the buck stops with me'.

Status
Not open for further replies.