Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, because dead people should be allowed to vote, right? Anything to advance the progressive agenda. (rollseyes)
There were 309,000 voters summarily purged , 120,000 of them only for not voting since 2012, not because they were dead, just didn’t vote as reported late 2019
Kemp won by 59,000 in 2018 under questionable circumstances, he was in charge of purging voters.
At the present time, it seems Republicans are more engaged in various types of voter fraud or suppression
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ls-its-second-state-make-cuts-less-than-week/

Reactions: Dare
He already said it would be a woman. AOC is too young.

I'm guessing Kamala Harris or Stacey Abrams. Warren is also a possibility. Hillary could also worm her way into it.

LOL. Perhaps if there are an infinite number of alternate universes, in one of them Biden picking Hillary Clinton might happen!

Kamala Harris would not be a seriously bad pick, but as far as locking down more midwest states Amy Klobuchar might be even better.
She was much better able to connect with primary voters.

There were 309,000 voters summarily purged , 120,000 of them only for not voting since 2012, not because they were dead, just didn’t vote as reported late 2019
Kemp won by 59,000 in 2018 under questionable circumstances, he was in charge of purging voters.
At the present time, it seems Republicans are more engaged in various types of voter fraud or suppression
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...ls-its-second-state-make-cuts-less-than-week/

Constitution never guaranteed a "right to perpetual voter registration". If those people want to vote and they were purged, re-register. In all 50 states anyone that wants to vote and register on election day at a local polling station.

If I were purged, that's what I would do.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Constitution never guaranteed a "right to perpetual voter registration". If those people want to vote and they were purged, re-register. In all 50 states anyone that wants to vote and register on election day at a local polling station.

If I were purged, that's what I would do.

how would you know you were purged, other than realizing (after the fact) that you weren't sent voting material or showing up at the polls to find that you were no longer registered?

how would you know you were purged, other than realizing (after the fact) that you weren't sent voting material or showing up at the polls to find that you were no longer registered?

And if you show up to vote and you are not on the rolls. . . re-register. Not exactly rocket science.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that those slated to be purged from the rolls were sent a notice as well (to their address on file), to re-register or they were going to be purged. Not exactly like it was a surprise.

EDIT - yep, looks like proper legal procedure was followed:
Georgia cancels fewer voter registrations after surge last year

Georgia resets rules on voter challenges after a town got it wrong

I live in CA, and I was required to re-register to vote after moving 3 years ago. I just don't see what the fuss is about this. You move, change your address of record so you can continue to keep voting.

How deep into the line-up could Biden responsibly reach? I was favorably impressed with Kirsten Gillibrand, for a number of reasons: her backbone in calling out Al Franken, her refusal to accept PAC donations, her stance as a moderate on the standard issues of importance to the Democrat base. Her performance in the early base was, in a nutshell, poor and her early departure from the field was partly in recognition of that, as well her contiguous bad poll numbers.
That said - that parallels Biden's early performance in many ways, although he consistently had good funding.

Anyway, that is one example. Who has other possibilities? Does anyone agree with @wdolson that Stacy Abrams has taken herself out of the running?

This summer if it's still nearly certain Biden will have little chance of losing the electoral college to Trump, then I think a good choice might be Elizabeth Warren. Unlike Sanders who is a rigid ideologue who rarely shows any flexibility or willingness to compromise to get part of what he wants, Warren is flexible and has proven she can negotiate a difficult political field to get something complex accomplished.
Bidden could assign her the portfolio of putting together and passing the legislation needed to fix and expand Obamacare to get coverage for those without it.
Even beyond that she could lead a much deeper consideration of all the options and combinations to reduce the ludicrous per citizen cost of U.S. healthcare. That is a Gordian Knot worthy of her intellect and energy.
A smart strategy would be to prove that a Democratic administration, Senate and House can greatly reduce the number of uninsured and under insured and can be trusted to enact deeper reforms of the health care system in a second term. Likely with Warren (if she'd been successful and popular as VP) at top of ticket.

Contrast that with a Sanders 1 term presidency where he would rush to blow up the existing heath care system and replace it with his idea of a perfect one, plus all his other promised expansions of government. Sanders supporters can't understand that even if elected, he would refuse to compromise and has no political skills to get narrow Democrat majorities in Senate and House to enact plans that go far enough for him. Even Obama with comparatively good support and skills had terrible losses in the midterm elections. Sanders would lose the Senate and possibly the House in his midterm elections. Lunging for huge structural changes impacting everyone in the country in a single term is a sure prescription to not accomplish any lasting progressive change.

Reactions: UrsS
I'd prefer Warren stay in the Senate, where under a Dem administration she have a voice rather, than playing second fiddle sans bow.

Once a fiery liberal spirit,
Ah, but now when (s)he speaks, (s)]he must clear it.
Second fiddle's a hard part, I know,
When they don't even give you a bow.

And if you show up to vote and you are not on the rolls. . . re-register. Not exactly rocket science.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that those slated to be purged from the rolls were sent a notice as well (to their address on file), to re-register or they were going to be purged. Not exactly like it was a surprise.

I live in CA, and I was required to re-register to vote after moving 3 years ago. I just don't see what the fuss is about this. You move, change your address of record so you can continue to keep voting.
@bkp_duke
Did we read the same article and come to different interpretations?
Apparently, yes

“..Georgia purged 1.5 million voters between the 2012 and 2016 elections, which is twice as many as the state canceled between 2008 and 2012, according to a report from the Brennan Center for Justice, a nonpartisan law and policy institute at New York University’s School of Law.

“The numbers indicate that Georgia has been more aggressive than most other states in purging the voter rolls,”

So, legal yes, many things are legal
However, neither you nor I are capable of changing the other it seems and have different viewpoints and life experiences,

@bkp_duke
Did we read the same article and come to different interpretations?
Apparently, yes

“..Georgia purged 1.5 million voters between the 2012 and 2016 elections, which is twice as many as the state canceled between 2008 and 2012, according to a report from the Brennan Center for Justice, a nonpartisan law and policy institute at New York University’s School of Law.

“The numbers indicate that Georgia has been more aggressive than most other states in purging the voter rolls,”

However, neither you nor I are capable of changing the other it seems and have different viewpoints and life experiences,

The interesting thing, GA purged those according to LONG TERM LAWS that were already on the books. This is also not a NEW occurrence for GA. They have a defined procedure for this (people are sent a letter to the address of record, if they don't reply, they are taken off the rolls). Little important details that you are hoping people don't pick up on perhaps?

The interesting thing, GA purged those according to LONG TERM LAWS that were already on the books. This is also not a NEW occurrence for GA. They have a defined procedure for this (people are sent a letter to the address of record, if they don't reply, they are taken off the rolls). Little important details that you are hoping people don't pick up on perhaps?
I’m unsure where you are going with this, there have been many “ Long term Laws” on the books.

Are you so insular as to be unaware of what went on in the old Confederacy post civil war till well past the 1960’s and even now? Long term laws doesn’t necessarily = just or fair, only legal for a moment
I have memories of poll taxes in Virginia, massive resistance, closing public schools for 8 years (all legal), massive voter suppression through the entire state

I grew up amid unrepentant racists and fascists and authoritarians, not that I’m even hinting you are, which I am not.

Did you read the article, in the article you supplied, where there were complaints of purges of continuous voters due to mishaps or mail got misdirected or whatever?
Far too quick to purge rolls, unless voter suppression is one of the goals.

Voter suppression is alive and well and practiced a fair amount, especially here in Florida where the Republicans are terrified the folks who did their prison time, were rehabilitated, might vote them out and are trying to suppress, few million more voters deciding.

If it was stolen, why did she concede and not take it to the courts? Asking for a friend . . .

In Stacey Abrams concession speech she explained why she wasn't taking it to court. The problem is the existing laws that are designed to hurt likely Democratic voters much more than Republicans.

Stacey Abrams’ concession speech is a powerful critique of US civil rights

Why Dems are losing the young voters that they need

Young people don't vote in large numbers and they never have. Chasing the youth vote is like Charlie Brown and the football.

In Georgia another trap law (unlike California) you have to register to vote a few weeks before an election to be eligible. States like California has same day registration which makes sense in the modern world where we have computers and instant record checks. Georgia hangs on to its 19th century law because it helps them keep down the voting numbers. If someone finds out on election day they were removed, there is nothing they can do for that election, whereas the problem can be solved on the spot in California.

An analysis of how voter suppression worked in 2018:
6 Takeaways From Georgia's 'Use It Or Lose It' Voter Purge Investigation

In Stacey Abrams concession speech she explained why she wasn't taking it to court. The problem is the existing laws that are designed to hurt likely Democratic voters much more than Republicans.

Stacey Abrams’ concession speech is a powerful critique of US civil rights

Young people don't vote in large numbers and they never have. Chasing the youth vote is like Charlie Brown and the football.

In Georgia another trap law (unlike California) you have to register to vote a few weeks before an election to be eligible. States like California has same day registration which makes sense in the modern world where we have computers and instant record checks. Georgia hangs on to its 19th century law because it helps them keep down the voting numbers. If someone finds out on election day they were removed, there is nothing they can do for that election, whereas the problem can be solved on the spot in California.

An analysis of how voter suppression worked in 2018:
6 Takeaways From Georgia's 'Use It Or Lose It' Voter Purge Investigation

Honest question for you. Do you believe the DNC used voter suppression in Super Tuesday by closing stations, especially in Texas.

Long voting lines in Texas renew accusations of voter suppression

AOC implies voter suppression cost Bernie Sanders Michigan primary: 'Kids were waiting three hours' to vote

Please don't just say Republicans are worse.

Reactions: Paracelsus and JRP3

when I move, I only remember to file a change of address with the post office to forward my mail to the new address. That service only lasts for 90 days. When I was in college, I moved at least twice every year, and then out of college, I rented and needed to move about once a year. I missed many elections (both at Fed and State level), because although my vote was important to me, the election process was not. Purging people and putting the onus on them to re-register is disenfranchising to some people (because of how their lives work), and that affects the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.