Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Contrary to all the naysayers, I still like my Martians. Downsized from my stock 20" Performance wheels to Martian 19" wheels to save weight and give me a little more sidewall to protect against potholes. My 19" Martians weighed in at ~22 lbs including TPMS sensors and balancing weights -- a nice reduction of unsprung weight of over 6 lbs per wheel over my stock 20's. I'm a happy camper.

They even look better after the coilover installation. ;)
View attachment 710964
Are these Satin Gray? I just changed my Martian Wheels order from 18x8.5 Silver to 19x8.5 Satin Grey since they were in stock.

Reactions: Jamezam
I've had mine (MW03 satin bronze 20 x 9.5) on my MYP for a couple of months. I mounted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S size 265/40-20 tires on them (I wanted Induction wheel spec 255/40-20 sized tires but Discount Tire wouldn't sell them to me due to OEM specs for MYP). So far after about 3~4k miles, I'm observing roughly equal or slightly worse efficiency compared to my Ubers with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4's. Not sure if the lack of improvement in efficiency is from the stickier tires or lower aerodynamic efficiency from the wheels (probably both).

Anyway, I've been pleased with them despite not gaining any efficiency. I love the bronze and I've found the wheel design to be better in person than in pictures.

IMG_1741.jpeg

I've had mine (MW03 satin bronze 20 x 9.5) on my MYP for a couple of months. I mounted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S size 265/40-20 tires on them (I wanted Induction wheel spec 255/40-20 sized tires but Discount Tire wouldn't sell them to me due to OEM specs for MYP). So far after about 3~4k miles, I'm observing roughly equal or slightly worse efficiency compared to my Ubers with Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4's. Not sure if the lack of improvement in efficiency is from the stickier tires or lower aerodynamic efficiency from the wheels (probably both).

Anyway, I've been pleased with them despite not gaining any efficiency. I love the bronze and I've found the wheel design to be better in person than in pictures.

View attachment 954801
Looks pretty great. Interesting about discount tire. That's who I work with. What was their concern?

Last edited:
This thread hasn't been posted to in awhile, any updates on your Martian experiences? Or pictures?

(Didn't realize thread bumps weren't allowed. I have no personal investment in Martian, just considering them in the future.)

You have been posting about martian wheels here since at least march of 2021. Not sure how long someone considers buying wheels but 2+ years is a long time to be considering, if you have no investment in them. Also, yeah "bump" or anything like that isnt allowed.

Last edited:
Looks pretty great. Interesting about discount tire. That's who I work with. What was their concern?
They said the 255/40-20 tires don’t meet the weight rating for the rear axles of the MYP. I doubt it actually matters, but I understand they have liability concerns. 265 width tires do provide a little more rim protection and probably have a smidge more comfortable ride, but they do cost more.

You have been posting about martian wheels here since at least march of 2021. Not sure how long someone considers buying wheels but 2+ years is a long time to be considering, if you have no investment in them. Also, yeah "bump" or anything like that isnt allowed.
Well, the first time around with my MYLR I ended up getting another brand of wheel. I only had that car for about 18 months. I now have a MYP and have already curbed a rim. I am considering Martian again among other brands. I like the idea of skinnier lighter wheels and this is an obvious choice.

I also like looking at pictures of cars and wheels. I like hearing about others' experiences with rims and tires. I do not work in the car industry and only invest in index funds. Hope that clears things up.

They said the 255/40-20 tires don’t meet the weight rating for the rear axles of the MYP. I doubt it actually matters, but I understand they have liability concerns. 265 width tires do provide a little more rim protection and probably have a smidge more comfortable ride, but they do cost more.
I"m not a tire expert, but I thought you just had to find the XL rating. Also, did you ask about 255/45-20? Seems like a good choice too.

I"m not a tire expert, but I thought you just had to find the XL rating. Also, did you ask about 255/45-20? Seems like a good choice too.
There is also a number, 103Y, for the rears specified by Tesla for the MYP, where 103 is the weight rating and Y is the speed rating, I think. I didn't ask about 255/45-20. Ultimately the 265 width is probably the better way to go other than the efficiency and price. I see a lot of people put even wider tires on their MYPs around here.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
I ordered a set of Maritan 20x9” MW05 wheels on March 28th. They arrived in decent time and in perfect condition. I brought them to Discount Tire (DT) and had them install 275-45-20 Continental DWS06 tires. I immediately noticed a new noise while driving. DT agreed they heard it and we decided to install Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons as that is what was on the car before and I didn't hear this before. The tire exchange was made and the same exact noise was still present. It is a medium-pitch, variable droning between 20 and 50 mpg (where I spend most of my commute). The noise is audible most of the time I am driving. I contacted Martian Support. At first they had a 24-hour response time to an email request. They initially seemed like they wanted to work with me. They had me send videos on the sounds. They claimed it was not the fault of the wheel. They didn’t explicitly say it, but I could tell they were hinting that they would not let me return the wheels.

I made sure to read the return policy on the website several times before ordering. It does not say you can’t return wheels based on dissatisfaction. In fact it says all returns not due to manufacturing defect are subject to a 15% restocking fee. They mention “15 days” several times in the policy and I made sure to start my conversation with them well before that time frame.

Though they almost never answer their phone I actually got “Drew” to answer one time. I believe he is the owner of the company. He was very professional, though he also hinted that they don’t take returns that aren’t based on manufacturing defect and I should have someone else read the return policy with me (it is below). I told him I was trying to get used to the sound and I really did like the look of the wheels and that they felt light on their feet. He said that if I wanted to return the wheels it would become a “customer satisfaction” issue. He said he couldn’t sell them as new after a return and we’d have to come to a fair agreement on a buy-back price. I stated that I was interested in that and would try a few more days to get used to the sound first. I made sure to respond within 15 days that I wanted to return the wheels as the new noise was just driving me crazy. I mentioned my conversation with Drew and used his email address and the normal support email address. I replied to the same email thread I had been conversing with Martian on, so the history of the conversation was available to all. They did not respond to that email within 24 hours as they had in the past. I Replied All to the email again and they still ignored me. I am reaching out to the BBB for help.

I know many have positive experiences with the company. I want to support small businesses. They don't have a physical storefront and limited employees. This is something to keep in mind when working with Martian. In retrospect, I should have just found a wheel with Discount Tire or Tire Rack who would have no problem in taking returns or exchanges.

Returns and Exchange Policy​

1. Please inspect items immediately upon receipt. Any defects found and reported to Martian Wheels after 15 days from the delivery date will not be covered.
2. All returns, not due to damage or manufacturing defect, are subject to a re-stocking fee of 15% of the item cost. The restocking fee covers the cost of our order processing, shipping cost, and restocking process. Shipping cost to return an item that is subject to a restocking fee is the responsibility of the customer.
3. Items you wish to return must be approved prior to your return. Contact us for a RA# (Return Authorization Number) and specify the reason for return. All return inquiries must be sent to us within 15 days of receiving the order at the customer's expense.
4. Approved Returns must be sent back to us within 15 days of receiving your RA#.
5. Items returned, not due to damage or manufacturing defect, must be in brand new condition.
6. Shipping, handling, and transaction fees are non-refundable.
7. Once items have been returned to us, and the condition has been inspected and approved, a refund will be issued. Approved refunds are issued within 2-3 business days after approval.
8. Returns cannot be accepted for electronic parts.
9. For any questions, please email: [email protected]

I ordered a set of Maritan 20x9” MW05 wheels on March 28th. They arrived in decent time and in perfect condition. I brought them to Discount Tire (DT) and had them install 275-45-20 Continental DWS06 tires. I immediately noticed a new noise while driving. DT agreed they heard it and we decided to install Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons as that is what was on the car before and I didn't hear this before. The tire exchange was made and the same exact noise was still present. It is a medium-pitch, variable droning between 20 and 50 mpg (where I spend most of my commute). The noise is audible most of the time I am driving. I contacted Martian Support. At first they had a 24-hour response time to an email request. They initially seemed like they wanted to work with me. They had me send videos on the sounds. They claimed it was not the fault of the wheel. They didn’t explicitly say it, but I could tell they were hinting that they would not let me return the wheels.

I made sure to read the return policy on the website several times before ordering. It does not say you can’t return wheels based on dissatisfaction. In fact it says all returns not due to manufacturing defect are subject to a 15% restocking fee. They mention “15 days” several times in the policy and I made sure to start my conversation with them well before that time frame.

Though they almost never answer their phone I actually got “Drew” to answer one time. I believe he is the owner of the company. He was very professional, though he also hinted that they don’t take returns that aren’t based on manufacturing defect and I should have someone else read the return policy with me (it is below). I told him I was trying to get used to the sound and I really did like the look of the wheels and that they felt light on their feet. He said that if I wanted to return the wheels it would become a “customer satisfaction” issue. He said he couldn’t sell them as new after a return and we’d have to come to a fair agreement on a buy-back price. I stated that I was interested in that and would try a few more days to get used to the sound first. I made sure to respond within 15 days that I wanted to return the wheels as the new noise was just driving me crazy. I mentioned my conversation with Drew and used his email address and the normal support email address. I replied to the same email thread I had been conversing with Martian on, so the history of the conversation was available to all. They did not respond to that email within 24 hours as they had in the past. I Replied All to the email again and they still ignored me. I am reaching out to the BBB for help.

I know many have positive experiences with the company. I want to support small businesses. They don't have a physical storefront and limited employees. This is something to keep in mind when working with Martian. In retrospect, I should have just found a wheel with Discount Tire or Tire Rack who would have no problem in taking returns or exchanges.

1. Please inspect items immediately upon receipt. Any defects found and reported to Martian Wheels after 15 days from the delivery date will not be covered.
2. All returns, not due to damage or manufacturing defect, are subject to a re-stocking fee of 15% of the item cost. The restocking fee covers the cost of our order processing, shipping cost, and restocking process. Shipping cost to return an item that is subject to a restocking fee is the responsibility of the customer.
3. Items you wish to return must be approved prior to your return. Contact us for a RA# (Return Authorization Number) and specify the reason for return. All return inquiries must be sent to us within 15 days of receiving the order at the customer's expense.
4. Approved Returns must be sent back to us within 15 days of receiving your RA#.
5. Items returned, not due to damage or manufacturing defect, must be in brand new condition.
7. Once items have been returned to us, and the condition has been inspected and approved, a refund will be issued. Approved refunds are issued within 2-3 business days after approval.
Man that sucks. Sorry you've encountered an issue with your wheels. I guess it would be pretty difficult to prove "manufacturing defect". Have you gained a better idea on where the sound is coming from and how it's being produced?

Man that sucks. Sorry you've encountered an issue with your wheels. I guess it would be pretty difficult to prove "manufacturing defect". Have you gained a better idea on where the sound is coming from and how it's being produced?
I had Discount Tire rotate the wheels to no affect. It sounds like metal resonance, but not rubbing. Sounds like a Tibetan bowl or one of those wind chimes with metal bowls.

The best way to find out if a wheel is defective is to remove the tire and weights and spin the wheel on the balancing machine by itself. This is similar to what is called wheel runout. This is the only way to know if it is truely a wheel issue or tire issue

I have been a proponent against this company for a long time due to their false marketing and customer service. They are not a vendor here nor their voice even as just a member is not heard here. It’s sad to see customers still falling for their shady business practices. Hope y’all choose a better company that SUPPORTS the tesla community.

I have been a proponent against this company for a long time due to their false marketing and customer service. They are not a vendor here nor their voice even as just a member is not heard here. It’s sad to see customers still falling for their shady business practices. Hope y’all choose a better company that SUPPORTS the tesla community.
Good job. I won't buy from them. Matter of fact, I'll stick with my Tesla wheels and plastic caps, thank you.

B0-E68-E66-1527-4-E97-9925-C5-BF0-C552689.jpg

I ordered a set of Maritan 20x9” MW05 wheels on March 28th. They arrived in decent time and in perfect condition. I brought them to Discount Tire (DT) and had them install 275-45-20 Continental DWS06 tires. I immediately noticed a new noise while driving. DT agreed they heard it and we decided to install Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons as that is what was on the car before and I didn't hear this before. The tire exchange was made and the same exact noise was still present. It is a medium-pitch, variable droning between 20 and 50 mpg (where I spend most of my commute). The noise is audible most of the time I am driving.
Hmm i think i have the drone as well, always thought it was because I switched from the Tesla PZ4 tires (with the acoustic foam) to regular PZ4s tires without it. I kinda like the sound though, almost spaceship like lol. I definitely get used to it when I switch to the PZ4s during summer and honestly don't super mind it.

The drone for me isn't there (I think) when I'm on my Michelin CrossClimate 2s during the colder seasons. That or it's less pronounced

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
I honestly don't see why anyone would pick Martian Wheels when Atomic Wheels is producing wheels at the same or cheaper price and publishing specs for the wheels.
Is Atomic Wheels fairly new? I did not know about them before. Their wheels certainly look good and had I been in the market now, I'd probably go with one of their designs instead of the Martians.

I was looking at getting bronze colored wheels last year and Martian was running a decent sale on MW-03s, so I went for it. I guess luckily for me they have been fine and I ended up liking the design more in person than in pictures. Too bad their customer service appears to be pretty sub-par from the few posts above. I did not have to interact with them much but last year I did call to get a new wheel after screwing one of mine up at an HPDE and they did give me a little bit of a discount on that wheel.

Reactions: play150