Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will do. The ones I found are Bluetooth BLE but the person I dealt with had concerns that there is something potentially proprietary done to Tesla's system, not just vanilla BLE, because another customer tried to use them on his MY without any luck. So I am still pursuing the SC angle, e-mailing the advisor who worked with me on delivery day to see if I can order that way. Sad that this is what it takes to order parts, spend money with them.
Don't have my Y yet, but I have had 2 different sets of aftermarket wheels for my 2015 Model S, and it was never a problem getting the TPMS from Discount Tire to work with them. Just call a tire shop and tell them what you have. If they don't know, then they are bad at their jobs. It's not like Teslas are rare anymore!

• Disagree
Reactions: Jmeitz and Lozzy
Already posted. Check out my posts. OEM TEsla TPMS sensors are the only thing available on the market right now for Mode Y.

I have never had any problem with Discount Tire TPMSs for my 2015 Model S. I know it is a different car, but same software. If the tire shop can't help you, you are at the wrong tire shop. Teslas use the 433MHz sensors used by a boatload of car manufacturers. They aren't unicorns.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lozzy and DaveORD
I have never had any problem with Discount Tire TPMSs for my 2015 Model S. I know it is a different car, but same software. If the tire shop can't help you, you are at the wrong tire shop. Teslas use the 433MHz sensors used by a boatload of car manufacturers. They aren't unicorns.

Sorry, but you're misinformed with regard to the Model Y. The model Y is using a new type of bluetooth TPMS that is unique and you can only get it from the service center @ $300 total for all 4. With model s, x, 3, etc - other tpms sensors, like the versions discount tire would provide, worked great. They WILL NOT work on the Y, and right now, you MUST get the OEM part from tesla.

Don't have my Y yet, but I have had 2 different sets of aftermarket wheels for my 2015 Model S, and it was never a problem getting the TPMS from Discount Tire to work with them. Just call a tire shop and tell them what you have. If they don't know, then they are bad at their jobs. It's not like Teslas are rare anymore!

In case you missed it, starting with the MY Tesla changed the TPMS to their own proprietary 2.4 GHz Bluetooth version. Only way to get them at the time I tried was to buy from Tesla. Nobody and I mean nobody had a third party TPMS that I could find that would work with the MY. Maybe that changed recently, but every place that is selling TPMS for a MY is buying them from Tesla. Discount Tire would be no different.

I'm having a heck for a time finalizing my martian order for 8.5 or 9.5 20in wheels. 8.5 I'm liking the 245/45 20 idea verses just a 255/40/ 20 or even 265/40 20 on the 9.5. The 8.5 I think it that config would give a little more cushion for the side and smaller width may make it feel peppier. any thoughts?

@DFibRL8R
Man I was really close to getting the cross climates for my 20x8.5 wheels.... You'll have to post more if you feel any difference from the slightly larger overall diameter of 245/45. Speaking of which, how do you like the look of the little bit of extra "beef" in person?

No noticeable difference from the slightly larger diameter. I do like the look, the tread pattern is more prominent and visible from the side making them look a bit more rugged.

Tank mode enabled.
6DACF069-41B1-493D-A014-AAD7CFB00FCE.jpeg

Reactions: Barrygold and Lozzy
This weight is for what size wheel? 20x9.5?

Their website says 23lbs. I thought about them at first until I realized they were posting 1-3 lbs less weight on their website. Too bad most buyers don’t pay attention to this scam thinking they got “light weight” wheels. Very shady.
Yeah. 20x9.5. Apparently everyone here thinks it’s “ok” so go ahead and order.

Side note...scrolling through the pics here and on FB the face of Martian stays the same and there’s no concavity. The back wheel pad actually grows larger or smaller based on offset so that really tells the tale they’re flow formed but hey....what do I know.

Last edited:
Yeah. 20x9.5. Apparently everyone here thinks it’s “ok” so go ahead and order.

Side note...scrolling through the pics here and on FB the face of Martian stays the same and there’s no concavity. The back wheel pad actually grows larger or smaller based on offset so that really tells the tale they’re flow formed but hey....what do I know.
What does that mean?

It’s pretty simple. Full forged wheels have deeper concavity for different offsets. See pic below. The shape of the wheel gets deeper but the material stays more / less the same. Hence same weight ~ 1/2lb difference between offsets. It’s just stretched inwards so the “pad” face in essence comes closer to the hub and the wheel face comes outward more but no more material is added to the wheel. If you look at other full forged wheels you can see concavity clearly. They physically have to make a different design for the face to achieve this.
409D7C3C-E5D0-48CC-BD37-8D739F641A11.jpeg

Now what flow formed wheel manufacturer have is one barrel and one face only AND they add padded area. See example below. This achieves offset BUT the lug nuts holes are deeper. This in essence creates a “lower offset” but no concavity. The red is the standard wheel face. The purple and green are add on “pads” to achieve the lower offset while keeping the wheel face where it is. That adds weight and you can’t hide from that!
44987F4A-5BAC-460D-ABE5-E3B20128CD3F.jpeg

I’m sorry but if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck....(missed weights, difficult lug nuts holes, same face profile).

You don’t have to believe me but the proof is in the pudding. TONS of info floating out there in the model 3 Martian forum and all I am doing is make known a lot of things don’t add up. Good luck and be careful on who you chose.

Last edited: