Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s pretty simple. Full forged wheels have deeper concavity for different offsets. See pic below. The shape of the wheel gets deeper but the material stays more / less the same. Hence same weight ~ 1/2lb difference between offsets. It’s just stretched inwards so the “pad” face in essence comes closer to the hub and the wheel face comes outward more but no more material is added to the wheel. If you look at other full forged wheels you can see concavity clearly. They physically have to make a different design for the face to achieve this.View attachment 623750

Now what flow formed wheel manufacturer have is one barrel and one face only AND they add padded area. See example below. This achieves offset BUT the lug nuts holes are deeper. This in essence creates a “lower offset” but no concavity. The red is the standard wheel face. The purple and green are add on “pads” to achieve the lower offset while keeping the wheel face where it is. That adds weight and you can’t hide from that!
View attachment 623759

I’m sorry but if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck....(missed weights, difficult lug nuts holes, same face profile).

You don’t have to believe me but the proof is in the pudding. TONS of info floating out there in the model 3 Martian forum and all I am doing is make known a lot of things don’t add up. Good luck and be careful on who you chose.
Thanks for that info! Really good explanation of what you meant. I actually like down the street from Martian Wheels so whenever I get a chance maybe I'll drive by and take a look at their wheels. I'd been considering selling the uberturbines and getting a set of these for summers but still undecided.

Thanks for that info! Really good explanation of what you meant. I actually like down the street from Martian Wheels so whenever I get a chance maybe I'll drive by and take a look at their wheels. I'd been considering selling the uberturbines and getting a set of these for summers but still undecided.
If you are down the street and if they allow you to....do this. Bring a flat long piece of 20”+ foam / tape measure and measure the center. If they have different offset wheels there....measure both please. Wheel diameter does not matter in offset depth. If both offset wheels measure the same in depth like the picture below....then you know your answer.

Please take pictures as other members would be interested to know as well
E615C85C-59DA-440B-AE69-27ECDF7EB269.jpeg

Had new Satin Black 8.5x20 installed today. I wanted the Michelin CrossClimate SUV tires which don’t come in 255-40-20 so I went with 245-45-20. Purchased black center caps from Tesla, I haven’t installed the lug caps yet since I need to retorque the lugs after install (though they don’t look bad as is). I like that the smaller 8.5” wheel is a bit more protected by the rubber, hopefully less curb rash.
View attachment 609789 View attachment 609790 View attachment 609791

How are these tires after a few months? Looking to replace the stock tires on the 19in wheels, and was wondering how the noise level and efficiency was as compared to your previous setup.

What do y'all think about black vs gunmetal MW03s? I thought I initially wanted black but the dark grey on my uberturbines kind of look better than full on black. (And gunmetal might be like dark grey, which appears to be darker IRL than what the martian website shows)

Weight? Fitment isn't even correct for some models. I am out $2k on a set that don't fit AT ALL and Martian won't help. Caveat Emptor. Suggest Rohana or TSportline, have had great outcomes with both and frankly both sets have been lighter than my Martians that are currently collecting dust.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Weight? Fitment isn't even correct for some models. I am out $2k on a set that don't fit AT ALL and Martian won't help. Caveat Emptor. Suggest Rohana or TSportline, have had great outcomes with both and frankly both sets have been lighter than my Martians that are currently collecting dust.
And people say it’s ok for a manufacturer to advertise a false weight :rolleyes:.

Love them or hate them, they are definitely worth considering. If I didn't need to tow, it would open up more options. As for the weight, I wish they were more accurate. The ones I am considering, their website says 20.5 and other people who I've reached out to say 21 or a bit under. Yes, it is inaccurate but I can't find many other options in my price range with enough load capacity that weigh less than this.

I could spend $4-5k on a set and likely not be any lighter, or enough that it is worth paying 2 to 2.5 times more money for them. As it is, if I go with the Martians, I'll save at least 8 pounds per corner and is pretty significant. If I had the MYP, and was trying to extract every ounce of performance out of it, then I might consider other options and maybe invest more money. At the heart of it if that were my goal, I should have bought something like the M3P which is so much quicker to begin with.

For me, I want something significantly lighter than my 19" Gemini wheels. The Martians easily tick that box whether they are their stated weight or not. I need enough load capacity that if my car is at max GVWR including at trailer at max tongue weight, I am not going to exceed the load limits of the rear wheels. The Martians easily tick that box as well. I want an easy to clean wheel. They seem pretty good in that regard as well. A wheel that I find attractive. Obviously that is subjective but they tick that box for me as well. Lastly, I have a budget of $2500 or less. Again, even with shipping the Martians met that criteria.

I can't find a better wheel to meet my criteria that costs the same or less as the Martians. I would have to spend more money and buy something like the Signature wheels, which I definitely like, but the long lead times (which I understand) and the cost are significant barriers to purchasing them. So not a lot of options and in general I like the look of the Martians but would prefer a bronze set to go with my car. I could have these powdercoated and still fall within my budget.

I do agree that they should be more accurate with their weight. This is just plain wrong. For me the same applies to Tesla. My MY LR never ever met its claimed 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds. My car barely squeaked under 5 seconds until I got the acceleration boost. That honestly ticks me off more than maybe being off 1/2 pound of weight. At least I know if I buy the wheels what the discrepancy is before I buy.

So if there is a better wheel out there in a 19" size, that can handle at least 800kg, weighs 21 pounds or less, and is under $2500 for a set. I would love to know about it.

Love them or hate them, they are definitely worth considering. If I didn't need to tow, it would open up more options. As for the weight, I wish they were more accurate. The ones I am considering, their website says 20.5 and other people who I've reached out to say 21 or a bit under. Yes, it is inaccurate but I can't find many other options in my price range with enough load capacity that weigh less than this.

I could spend $4-5k on a set and likely not be any lighter, or enough that it is worth paying 2 to 2.5 times more money for them. As it is, if I go with the Martians, I'll save at least 8 pounds per corner and is pretty significant. If I had the MYP, and was trying to extract every ounce of performance out of it, then I might consider other options and maybe invest more money. At the heart of it if that were my goal, I should have bought something like the M3P which is so much quicker to begin with.

For me, I want something significantly lighter than my 19" Gemini wheels. The Martians easily tick that box whether they are their stated weight or not. I need enough load capacity that if my car is at max GVWR including at trailer at max tongue weight, I am not going to exceed the load limits of the rear wheels. The Martians easily tick that box as well. I want an easy to clean wheel. They seem pretty good in that regard as well. A wheel that I find attractive. Obviously that is subjective but they tick that box for me as well. Lastly, I have a budget of $2500 or less. Again, even with shipping the Martians met that criteria.

I can't find a better wheel to meet my criteria that costs the same or less as the Martians. I would have to spend more money and buy something like the Signature wheels, which I definitely like, but the long lead times (which I understand) and the cost are significant barriers to purchasing them. So not a lot of options and in general I like the look of the Martians but would prefer a bronze set to go with my car. I could have these powdercoated and still fall within my budget.

I do agree that they should be more accurate with their weight. This is just plain wrong. For me the same applies to Tesla. My MY LR never ever met its claimed 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds. My car barely squeaked under 5 seconds until I got the acceleration boost. That honestly ticks me off more than maybe being off 1/2 pound of weight. At least I know if I buy the wheels what the discrepancy is before I buy.

So if there is a better wheel out there in a 19" size, that can handle at least 800kg, weighs 21 pounds or less, and is under $2500 for a set. I would love to know about it.
They lie about their weight, and got caught.. and STILL publish the lower weight than the actual weight. They can lie about the weight, but not the load rating? Do you really believe their wheels has 1000kg/2200lb load rating? Lol… Until now, they are the FIRST wheel company advertise that kind of wheel load rating, exceed ANY other brand like BBS, HRE, RAYS, Forgeline, and Signature etc…

Over 3 years course, spending $1.3 extra per day for a set of Signature and not have to doubt about the weight, load rating and quality is well worth it IMO.

Reactions: jb401
What do y'all think about black vs gunmetal MW03s? I thought I initially wanted black but the dark grey on my uberturbines kind of look better than full on black. (And gunmetal might be like dark grey, which appears to be darker IRL than what the martian website shows)
IMG_0982.jpeg

I think they worked out well on MSM, not sure about other colors. On black they'd probably be cool too.

They lie about their weight, and got caught.. and STILL publish the lower weight than the actual weight. They can lie about the weight, but not the load rating? Do you really believe their wheels has 1000kg/2200lb load rating? Lol… Until now, they are the FIRST wheel company advertise that kind of wheel load rating, exceed ANY other brand like BBS, HRE, RAYS, Forgeline, and Signature etc…

Over 3 years course, spending $1.3 extra per day for a set of Signature and not have to doubt about the weight, load rating and quality is well worth it IMO.
Can I buy them at the price you got your Signature Wheels? Based on the prices I am seeing, it is more likely $2/day.

If they lie about the load ratings, and there is an issue, they open themselves up to a huge amount of liability. If they lie about the weight very little legal issues there. I have seen some higher load ratings than the typical 700kg that alot of them are. I looked at some 19" TSW wheels and their rating was 2000 pounds. A lot of their wheels have a 2000 pound load rating in 19", and even some of their 17" wheels too. I am less concerned about that based on what other wheels I've looked at.

@FasterBlaster - that combination almost makes me regret buying white. That looks awesome!

Reactions: FasterBlaster