Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like ceramic coating because of the gloss it provides. It does not do anything to actually protect the car against anything. But it does make washing it a bit easier.

As far as PPF (films) go, I am not a big fan. It costs over 5K to cover the car. I feel like if you get a chip or a scratch, it will be cheaper to repair that chip over the life of the car than to pay 5K for the PPF. It is just a personal opinion. But say, you got a chip and wanted to get it fixed, it may cost you like $200 to get it fixed, cheaper if you do it yourself. But you can fix 25 chips for about $5K, and you already mentioned how there aren't any issues with your Mini Cooper's paint. I have never had any issue with paint being chipped or anything. So I am not a big fan of it.
Thanks super useful. I looked closely at my mini and you know what - it does have some small mud flaps! They’re barely noticable but probably good I have them.

What about a clear bra on the front of the Tesla? I heard that nice painted front bumper with no gross can be damaged easily and thought if I added protection somewhere that might be it…

Thanks super useful. I looked closely at my mini and you know what - it does have some small mud flaps! They’re barely noticable but probably good I have them.

What about a clear bra on the front of the Tesla? I heard that nice painted front bumper with no gross can be damaged easily and thought if I added protection somewhere that might be it…
Ya. If you can find a good deal. But most in the area are charging 2k for it.

Again, I don’t see a value in it. I have had 4 cars in the past and never got it on them. Idk why I would spend so much on something I never thought about on the other cars.

But all this is personal opinion, it may make sense to someone else and work for them. Doesn’t mean one is right or wrong. Just do what makes you feel comfortable and happy.

Again, I don’t see a value in it. I have had 4 cars in the past and never got it on them. Idk why I would spend so much on something I never thought about on the other cars.

But all this is personal opinion, it may make sense to someone else and work for them. Doesn’t mean one is right or wrong. Just do what makes you feel comfortable and happy.

The argument people keep telling me is Tesla isn't like a traditional car, it has no grill in the front therefore there's more paint to get damaged. It makes logical sense to me but not sure if there's any practical evidence that Teslas get more rock chips than say Mini Coopers on the same road.

How much do you think is fair price? Too bad it's so pricy in Boston.

The argument people keep telling me is Tesla isn't like a traditional car, it has no grill in the front therefore there's more paint to get damaged. It makes logical sense to me but not sure if there's any practical evidence that Teslas get more rock chips than say Mini Coopers on the same road.

How much do you think is fair price? Too bad it's so pricy in Boston.
To me, if it was $500 or so I would consider doing it. But that isn’t the going rate. Again, to someone else a fair price may be $2k.

But again, you gotta do what you feel is correct and appropriate for you.

It just doesn’t make sense to me. And there are so many Tesla owners and not all of them get a PPF. I’d say maybe a small percentage do. But we don’t see too many posts regarding paint chippings. Search through all these forums and you will not see that many.

I agree with you in terms of cost vs benefit. While its true that Teslas don't have front grill so they tend to expose more area for rocks/bugs to hit and cause some minor damage. In addition, Tesla body panels are lightweight and they use soft paint which compounds the issue. For some reason they continue to put less paint coats thereby making cars vulnerable to rock chip damage. And then there is the fact that they only offer like 4 colors. So the trend for PPF started with all those things. I asked around in MA and got price quotes anywhere from $2K to $6K. I am no longer pursuing it. I might consider just front bumper because that bears the brunt of all these issues, and a precut front only costs $179 in DIY kit. Might do that. Its a much easier install now that the USS sensors are gone. However my biggest issue with PPF is wrapping. The car I have ordered is white. So if you don't wrap the PPF, the edge line starts collecting dust and looks bad after some time, especially on white cars. No idea how you can wrap a bumper without taking it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments and info everyone, I appreciate it.

I would definitely be interested in some small level of protection like just the bumper on my red. Probably don’t need it but anything that saves headaches in the future might be a good idea. I try to be somewhat wabi sabi in car care but a big rock chip down to the metal never looks good.

I also hate waxing and probably won’t wax my car often due to my parking setup so ceramic is tempting but probably depends on cost.

if I do anything it would be on the minimal / targeted side.

Guess it’s time to get some quotes. Does anybody have a shop they recommend In the Boston area?

I just got this quote:
when u consider DIY film alone is $600 (its not that unreasonable). Ppl mention just the bumper DIY takes at least 2-3 hours

when u consider DIY film alone is $600 (its not that unreasonable). Ppl mention just the bumper DIY takes at least 2-3 hours

I am not 100% sure why the DIY film is so expensive. The material is dirt cheap:
3M PPF
and
Knife for cutting

Congrats. Was this Fremont build or Austin build? I recall you have three on order. So was this the first one?
Yes, three on order. This was the first one. It was Austin Built. We went out today in the sun to take another closer look at the car to make sure we didn't miss something, but perfect condition.

The 2nd car comes in next week, it is scheduled to be delivered to the showroom on the 14th. That too is Austin built.

Reactions: MeanDOG
I want to get that sweet Massachusetts state incentive when I buy my car so I was very careful to keep my Model Y order below $55k (mine has red paint but no other upgrades to keep it in range).

Does anybody know if adding enhanced autopilot will affect my ability to get the incentive? It definitely puts the total price over $55k but if they itemize it and say the car is $55k including paint etc and the autopilot is separate I supposed everything will be ok? Has anybody had any experience with this?

I want to get that sweet Massachusetts state incentive when I buy my car so I was very careful to keep my Model Y order below $55k (mine has red paint but no other upgrades to keep it in range).

Does anybody know if adding enhanced autopilot will affect my ability to get the incentive? It definitely puts the total price over $55k but if they itemize it and say the car is $55k including paint etc and the autopilot is separate I supposed everything will be ok? Has anybody had any experience with this?
Add it afterwards.. no difference in price. unless you want to include in financing?

Reactions: Detect