Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Massachusetts Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to the SA. They confirmed if I purchase the car with Enhanced Autopilot I DO NOT qualify for mass state incentive, so I definitely need to do that as a separate transaction. Enhanced Autopilot is a rather large software download so I can either do it at home (but no wifi in my garage so it may slow via a phone hot spot) or just do it at the service center on their wifi but as a separate transaction. I may do that so I can use it on my drive home.

Talked to the SA. They confirmed if I purchase the car with Enhanced Autopilot I DO NOT qualify for mass state incentive, so I definitely need to do that as a separate transaction. Enhanced Autopilot is a rather large software download so I can either do it at home (but no wifi in my garage so it may slow via a phone hot spot) or just do it at the service center on their wifi but as a separate transaction. I may do that so I can use it on my drive home.
I was told it needs training and calibration time. Not sure if you'd be able to use it right after purchasing the new car.

Oh I see, in that case might as well do it later.
You can read the Drive Calibration section here:
FSD Calibration
Model Y must maneuver with precision when Autopilot features are being used. Therefore, before some features can be used for the first time or after some types of service repairs, cameras must complete a self-calibration process. For your convenience, the touchscreen displays a progress indicator.

When calibration is complete, Autopilot features are available for use. Calibration typically completes after driving 20-25 miles (32-40 km), but the distance varies depending on road and environmental conditions.

Reactions: KangThe
Good to know. If I install it at the shop then by the time I get home the calibration may be complete, so one reason I may want to do it there. Also if their wifi is faster than my phone's hotspot that would be helpful as well.

Just a note about EAP. Your car does not have ultra sonic sensors, so summon and self parking will not work until Tesla figures out how to make them work with vision only. That means you're paying 6k for auto lane change. I would wait and see if Tesla figures out the vision only solution before purchasing EAP.

Good to know. If I install it at the shop then by the time I get home the calibration may be complete, so one reason I may want to do it there. Also if their wifi is faster than my phone's hotspot that would be helpful as well.
Almost everyone I have spoken to says it takes much longer than the stated 25 miles to calibrate. Not sure why you are rushing when (as others have pointed out) many features don't even work. Unless you want this added as part of your loan, I see no reason to do it on the first day. It does not take that long about 20 minutes to download and another 20 to install. So if you really think you have wifi issues in garage, then you can always go back to Tesla store some other day and spend an hour there to get this done. But its not the end of the world if you still do it on the day of pickup. Its just that you need to keep your expectations with FSD in check if you do it that way. Other options are to buy some repeaters in the house and boost the signal in the garage. They are quite cheap these days and boosting the signal in your garage will help you in future as well.

Just a note about EAP. Your car does not have ultra sonic sensors, so summon and self parking will not work until Tesla figures out how to make them work with vision only. That means you're paying 6k for auto lane change. I would wait and see if Tesla figures out the vision only solution before purchasing EAP.
Navigate on autopilot as well as Lange change is what I want it for, I thought those were both pretty great when I test drove. Helpful to not miss an exit while on autopilot.

I have faith that parking features will return after seeing videos of a car with no USS detecting object distances.
Yeah I could technically wait but I kind of want to use navigate on autopilot sooner rather than later.

Almost everyone I have spoken to says it takes much longer than the stated 25 miles to calibrate. Not sure why you are rushing when (as others have pointed out) many features don't even work. Unless you want this added as part of your loan, I see no reason to do it on the first day. It does not take that long about 20 minutes to download and another 20 to install. So if you really think you have wifi issues in garage, then you can always go back to Tesla store some other day and spend an hour there to get this done. But its not the end of the world if you still do it on the day of pickup. Its just that you need to keep your expectations with FSD in check if you do it that way. Other options are to buy some repeaters in the house and boost the signal in the garage. They are quite cheap these days and boosting the signal in your garage will help you in future as well.
It's not a house, it's a condo and the garage is far enough from my unit that repeaters won't work. Cell reception is also hit or miss. I will bug the HOA to install wifi but they're pretty damn slow to do anything.

Yeah I know what I'm getting into. I put a lot of miles on a. model 3 with regular autopilot and only tested EAP once for 30 minutes but thought it was cool enough that I'm ready to give Elon my money.... maybe I'll wait and install it in a random parking lot via cellular hotspot one day but would be pretty convenient to drive out with the features I want. If not, definitely not the end of the world...

It's not a house, it's a condo and the garage is far enough from my unit that repeaters won't work. Cell reception is also hit or miss. I will bug the HOA to install wifi but they're pretty damn slow to do anything.

Yeah I know what I'm getting into. I put a lot of miles on a. model 3 with regular autopilot and only tested EAP once for 30 minutes but thought it was cool enough that I'm ready to give Elon my money.... maybe I'll wait and install it in a random parking lot via cellular hotspot one day but would be pretty convenient to drive out with the features I want. If not, definitely not the end of the world...
One more suggestion, do not get EAP, but instead, once you take delivery subscribe to FSD. It's $199 a month, and then you will be able to fully evaluate EAP before donating 6k to Elon's coffers.

To those who took the recent delivery of MY in MA. Do they install the front license plate? Or are you required to do that yourself? Also, does that require drilling holes in the front bumper? Not sure how'd they install otherwise.
I receive my model Y this week but I'm curious as well. I think I saw something online about an adhesive front license plate holder...

Last item on this page:

Last edited:
I receive my model Y this week but I'm curious as well. I think I saw something online about an adhesive front license plate holder...

Last item on this page:
Looks like they want it to be stuck on the bumper with a glue instead of screws. So clearly no drilling required. I was hoping someone who had recently received might chime in. But I guess they are too bz enjoying their MY instead of posting on this thread. Well, if you get it, then please don't forget to post :)

To those who took the recent delivery of MY in MA. Do they install the front license plate? Or are you required to do that yourself? Also, does that require drilling holes in the front bumper? Not sure how'd they install otherwise.
Picked my brothers up last week in Peabody. They installed both the plates themselves. I am not sure if it is glued or drilled in. I see him in the morning tomorrow so I will check it out and let you guys know.

Reactions: MeanDOG