Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The three current options are:

Creep: Behaves like a traditional automatic transmission vehicle. If you deeply depress the brake whilst stopped, you will toggle Hold mode on and off.
Roll: Behaves like "Creep Off" used to: as the car decelerates to a near-stop, it will begin to freewheel at and below about 5KPH. If you brake to a stop, the car automagically enters Hold mode.
Hold: The new mode with fully one-pedal-driving. The car will decelerate as with Roll mode, but will actively brake to a stop and engage Hold once stopped.

Thank you!
So, Creep: appears to perform as it had before?

• Informative
Reactions: Ken's M3
After 24 hours, this myth seems "Busted," as I haven't seen many reports of this in TMC or the Tesla forum.... Agreed?
Here are some links to people experiencing this in addition to what's been reported in this thread.

Bug with hold mode on 2019.36.2.1 - car suddenly reversing while in drive on a downhill incline. : teslamotors

Nearly had a minor fender bender: Issue with Hold (1 pedal driving) on a hill : teslamotors

It's definitely too early to write this off.

Here's a link to someone reporting behavior that could be related, but that's just my own speculation.

Car failed while in reverse: put it in Tow Mode, reversed, out of Tow Mode, then worked fine.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcG
Why not turn off Creep for a week or so and get your brain rewired to Stop and Go pedals, and more importantly, learning how to 'feather' the Go? And then switch over to Hold?

(never used Creep so it does take a bit of learning to feather the car into the garage, but if my wife can do it so can you.)

I've never once activated Creep on my car so I'm used to the car rolling. To me Hold is too inconsistent to use right now. YVMV.

So I read all posts on this thread last night and before leaving the garage this a.m. I selected the HOLD mode. This is so counterintuitive to how I’ve been driving for the past 50+ years, whether manual or automatic transmission. My conclusion is that this “feature”, which obviously is the cause of so much controversy, with all the clicks, surges and other negative characteristics, is definitely not for me. I will reconsider if/when I read that improvements have been implemented and more positively accepted. For the foreseeable future I’m a CREEP, as an old guy should be!

Here are some links to people experiencing this in addition to what's been reported in this thread.

Bug with hold mode on 2019.36.2.1 - car suddenly reversing while in drive on a downhill incline. : teslamotors

Nearly had a minor fender bender: Issue with Hold (1 pedal driving) on a hill : teslamotors

It's definitely too early to write this off.

Here's a link to someone reporting behavior that could be related, but that's just my own speculation.

Car failed while in reverse: put it in Tow Mode, reversed, out of Tow Mode, then worked fine.
Thanks, but those first two links are the same Reddit links as WilliamG posted yesterday morning (one imbedded in the other), that we have been talking about. Nothing on more reputable sites like this one, and to a less extent, Tesla's own crappy troll ridden unmoderated forum on this. NOTHING. Unless something is reported here or on the Tesla forum, I consider this a myth that has been Busted.

Edit: Yesterday, I created a thread on the Tesla forum (link below) to see if I could gather any data points on this potentially serious safety matter, after @WillianG first reported it here. Nothing (nothing, but disrupters and FUDsters having a field day about the thread and subject)...

Posted on Reddit: "Bug with hold mode on 2019.36.2.1 - car suddenly reversing while in drive on a downhill incline" | Tesla

Last edited:
Based on what, seriously; just those Reddit posts? Haven't seen anything material reported here or on the crappy Tesla model 3 forum.... Why are you so certain?

Do you want people to try to contact Tesla and request that they print out logs or something? What material evidence do you need? People have reported this issue, and it appears to be very rare so far, but it doesn't seem like they're lying. You're right that their word isn't proof, but it's not necessary to discount it entirely. It's potentially a very big deal. Nobody's certain. Just concerned.

Reactions: rich0 and WilliamG
Do you want people to try to contact Tesla and request that they print out logs or something? What material evidence do you need? People have reported this issue, and it appears to be very rare so far, but it doesn't seem like they're lying. You're right that their word isn't proof, but it's not necessary to discount it entirely. It's potentially a very big deal. Nobody's certain. Just concerned.
Not saying they are lying, just trying to see if it is more widespread than what's being reported in Reddit; as a means to decide whether or not to stop using Hold mode myself until a fix is released (if a real problem). I would have guessed it would have shown up in TMC or other forums, yet it appears only those Reddit posters encountered the issue. The folks on the Tesla site have enjoyed calling the thread and my post "FUD"... Seeking more data points as "Facts and Data will set you free," so to say.

I agree. Nobody is bashing Tesla here, or in the thread where people have had it happen. It's just a concern, that's all.

Reactions: jebinc
Not saying they are lying, just trying to see if it is more widespread than that's reported in Reddit, as a means to decide whether or not to stop using Hold mode myself until a fix is released (if a real problem). I would have guessed it would have shown up in TMC or other forums, yet it appears only those Reddit posters encountered the issue.

Reddit users are FAR ahead of TMC users in terms of experience and updates. Even Elon gets info from there. Heck, my post earlier about the new update coming with neural net for wipers, better lane changes etc - that came from Reddit. You don't doubt that information, do you?

Software update 2019.40.1 will include SR+ charging to 170kW, improvements to lane changes and improved wipers.

Just because it's Reddit doesn't mean it's bad info. A lot of the information on this Hold issue is quite credible, and I absolutely believe it.

Reddit users are FAR ahead of TMC users in terms of experience and updates. Even Elon gets info from there. Heck, my post earlier about the new update coming with neural net for wipers, better lane changes etc - that came from Reddit. You don't doubt that information, do you?

Software update 2019.40.1 will include SR+ charging to 170kW, improvements to lane changes and improved wipers.

Just because it's Reddit doesn't mean it's bad info. A lot of the information on this Hold issue is quite credible, and I absolutely believe it.

I still would have expected members here and/or on www.forums.tesla.com to have reported the problem, if it were a real bug - from a statistical perspective. Nothing. Many over it the Tesla forum feel just the opposite as you re Reddit as a source. Just check the thread I provided a link to over there, and you'll see what I mean. Feel free to add to that thread as well, if you have an account. Just looking to determine validity of this extraordinary safety concern claim that the Tesla EAP program may have missed. As Carl Sagan used to say, “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”...

Last edited:
I still would have expected members here and/or on www.forums.tesla.com to have reported the problem, if it were a real bug - from a statistical perspective. Nothing. Many over it the Tesla forum feel just the opposite as you re Reddit as a source. Just check at the thread I provided a link to over there, and you'll see what I mean. Feel free to add to that thread as well, if you have an account. Just looking to determine validity of this extraordinary safety concern claim that the Tesla EAP program may have missed. As Carl Sagan used to say, “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”...

It doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, I believe it. People have had such varying experiences with different aspects of the car, from the pain, to the fit and finish, to the wipers! Sometimes I feel l'm the only person without wiper trouble - if you believe the posts on here/reddit/official Tesla boards.

The "Hold" update has only just gone wide release, and it seems to be related to edge cases, so we'll see how it plays out over time.

It doesn't really matter. At the end of the day, I believe it. People have had such varying experiences with different aspects of the car, from the pain, to the fit and finish, to the wipers! Sometimes I feel l'm the only person without wiper trouble - if you believe the posts on here/reddit/official Tesla boards.

The "Hold" update has only just gone wide release, and it seems to be related to edge cases, so we'll see how it plays out over time.

Not questioning your belief at all; was just wondering why you felt so strongly about this one when it appears we only have Reddit reports. Yes, time will tell. I hope the reports are really operator error as I plan to continue to use the "Hold" mode, until/unless there are more facts to suggest I shouldn't.

Not questioning your belief at all; was just wondering why you felt so strongly about this one when it appears we only have Reddit reports. Yes, time will tell. I hope the reports are really operator error as I plan to continue to use the "Hold" mode, until/unless there are more facts to suggest I shouldn't.

I don't feel *that* strongly. I just felt it was credible enough to let people know here, just like the release notes for the next update are credible enough for me to post here, too.

I don't feel *that* strongly. I just felt it was credible enough to let people know here, just like the release notes for the next update are credible enough for me to post here, too.

I understand completely; even re-shared your Reddit posts over on the Tesla forum yesterday for the same reason. If you check out that thread, you will be highly entertained, I'm sure. Little of what goes on over there could/would ever go on over here with the TMC process, modern UI, member accountability through use of member tagging post ability, bans, user profiles, etc. etc.

I understand completely; even re-shared your Reddit posts over on the Tesla forum yesterday for the same reason. If you check out that thread, you will be highly entertained, I'm sure. Little of what goes on over there could/would ever go on over here with the TMC process, modern UI, member accountability through use of member tagging post ability, bans, user profiles, etc. etc.

I mostly take every forum post with a hefty grain of salt. But you get a good sense of what's likely true and what isn't. :)