Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate hold while parking in tight spots (forwards or backwards).

I used hold for two days trying to get used to it. Like I said, way better on the road, but my garage is a tight spot for my model 3. Yesterday, as I was adjusting the car moving forward, I realized I would hit something. Instead of taking my foot out of the accelerator, I stepped on it, hard. Luckily, I also turned left, away from the obstacle. It turns out my brain is wired for CREEP mode after a year of driving and the immediate reaction to an "emergency" is to step on the brake or, in this case, step harder on the pedal my foot is on it -- like I had always done.

So, for now, I'll be avoiding it. Maybe I'll create a profile for parking, but it's a bit of a hassle to do that every time.
This is my fear as well. When maneuvering in tight spaces it seems safer to have my foot on the brake instead of the throttle. The “hold” mode seems very well implemented though.
The funny thing is I also drive a stick shift car so you’d think my muscle memory from that would allow me to drive in “hold” mode but it just doesn’t feel right. Or maybe I’ve read so many “unintended acceleration” threads that I’m paranoid. Haha.

Snarky comments are totally unnecessary, smart guy.

The OP shared a legitimate concern of his. A concern which is likely shared by others, and it’s not unreasonable to expect some drivers inexperienced with the differences between traditional transmissions and any car with hold mode could make costly mistakes.

OP, I agree wholeheartedly with your logic.

I realized I would hit something. Instead of taking my foot out of the accelerator, I stepped on it, hard. Luckily, I also turned left, away from the obstacle. It turns out my brain is wired for CREEP mode after a year of driving and the immediate reaction to an "emergency" is to step on the brake or, in this case, step harder on the pedal my foot is on it -- like I had always done.
This is exactly my concern, that my reflex will be to stomp on the pedal.

I understand this concern for driving in Hold mode when parking the car. This can be surprising responsive for small movements. I do love it when driving the car though.

Do other of you notice the click in the dashboard (ac system) below and/or near the gas pedal when the car puts himself in Hold? Exactly at the moment when the H appears on the screen. It’s obvious the brake system that turns on but in a quiet car like the Tesla this sound and click is noticable. Do any of you notice this too?

Cheers

Reactions: John S.
Went through a car wash last week. Automatic wipers started immediately. While fumbling to shut off the wipers (not immediately obvious) with my son's help, accidentally touched open for the trunk!

Expected the worst, but on exit opened the trunk and it was perfectly dry.

A car wash setting that ensured windows are all closed, wipers are off and icons to open trunk, frunk, and charge door are all disabled would be nice for those occasionally inept users like me. Another thing that only Tesla can do, if they so chose and the spirit moved them ;).

I think this hold mode would be better if Tesla allowed for brake blending adjustment. For example, instead of waiting until ~0 mph, allowing blending @2, 1 or 0 mph. The other improvement I could suggest to handle the car going in the opposite direction is to arrest any motion by proportionally applying the brakes opposite to the direction of indicated travel (D or R). An analogy would be like a diode in a circuit where the bias is towards direction of flow.

So maybe it's just me, but 'Hold' mode feels and looks like it uses a lot more energy than 'Roll' in my P-. By feels I mean that I need to press the accelerator further in order to overcome the regenerative braking that "feels" like it's always on. And by looks I mean that for the same stretch of road driven in 'Hold' and 'Roll' modes my 'Hold' energy usage average was up near 450 Wh/mi, whereas in 'Roll' mode I'm at around 250

as we age our brain plasticity diminishes-more we do it we'll be alright
I'm budgeting a month to adapt to Hold mode driving. So far the sticky points have been "stop-then-go" situations like stop signs, and backing out of the driveway with the accelerator pressed the whole time. I figure I'll get used to it soon enough, I find I prefer Hold mode under all other circumstances.