Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting really tired of the recent 32.x change to AP that keeps prompting me to apply turning force to the steering wheel while I have both hands on the wheel!. I have to really turn the wheel now. In older versions that would have been enough to turn off AP. I hope, but doubt, this is addressed in 36.x
I concur, I had to adopt the “shove your arm through the steering wheel” trick.

Only thing I am having a hard time getting used to is reverse with hold mode. So used to rolling out, would be nice to turn it off for reverse. Also have to get used to the new timing, don’t have to release the accelerator as early anymore to stop.

I'm guessing that request will never happen - in the name of consistency. I think Tesla likes to keep this stuff consistent across the driving experience. That's why you can't even change the regen settings unless you put the car into Park. They want the user to be very aware of what they're doing, and that when they do it it's a consistent experience. I admire that, though of course it comes with a few potential downsides for advanced users.

Got the update here in PA, P3D w/FSD. Just in time for the snow. Took it for a quick spin and at 45% SOC it def pulls hard, not sure how much but butt dyno says harder

One pedal driving seemed nice in the 3 stops I got to use it at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam3
Finally got the update. I really love Hold. Cone Visualization is cool. It's interesting having such a stark contrast in color to the other elements in that window. That's the point of traffic cones though. Just a big change. The power increase seemed immediately noticeable to me, but admittedly that could be a placebo effect. I love this car!

Reactions: Bratt
Just got the update here. July 2019 Build SR+ without FSD. Previously was on 2019.32.12.2 58f3b76.

Side note, the updates always seem to rush to about ~260mb (I’m on a 100mbits line so it downloads about a meg a second). Then it’ll pause for a long time (minutes) and then continue... anyone else notice this odd download behavior? Wonder if there is a 256mb cache or something that then slowly copies over or something?

Got the update here in PA, P3D w/FSD. Just in time for the snow. Took it for a quick spin and at 45% SOC it def pulls hard, not sure how much but butt dyno says harder

One pedal driving seemed nice in the 3 stops I got to use it at.

Got mine (P3D) today. Definitely feels smoother in power delivery... Almost less effort to dart/squirt in and out of traffic. And does feel a touch stronger on the 'pull' when accelerating too

Last edited:
Reactions: Garlan Garner
A few things:

1.) I do NOT think there's any blend of friction brakes taking place here. You can hear the motor whine as it regens all the way down to 0mph
2.) I tested regen and how it would behave on steep hill (going down it). The car regen'ed down to 0mph, and then automatically enabled "Hold." Now, if you press the brake at that point, it will take the car out of "Hold." I noticed on the regen bar that it was actually using a little energy to keep the car in place, NOT the friction brakes. After a few seconds of sitting with 0mph displayed, it went back into "Hold" mode.

Anyway, my feelings haven't changed so much on this new "Hold" mode. I love it for driving, - less so for parking.

A few things:

1.) I do NOT think there's any blend of friction brakes taking place here. You can hear the motor whine as it regens all the way down to 0mph
2.) I tested regen and how it would behave on steep hill (going down it). The car regen'ed down to 0mph, and then automatically enabled "Hold." Now, if you press the brake at that point, it will take the car out of "Hold." I noticed on the regen bar that it was actually using a little energy to keep the car in place, NOT the friction brakes. After a few seconds of sitting with 0mph displayed, it went back into "Hold" mode.

Anyway, my feelings haven't changed so much on this new "Hold" mode. I love it for driving, - less so for parking.

I agree with you 10000 percent. There is NO physical braking to get down to 0mph.

I believe there was some kind of thought out there that Tesla was using the full battery pack to regen - therefore there was no more room for any more charge resistance to the motors. Maybe the "original" regen was only utilizing 20% of the battery to regen on. Maybe its 50% now. Who knows.

Flower Power ....

Yep....Rose power.

A petal-a-day keeps the frowns away. I will forever single petal accelerate and stop.

Here is a whole bunch of petal joy to share with everyone.

th

Last edited: