Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems really really odd to me that this mass released version would have 'slithering' (mild ping pong) and the herky-jerky 'adaptive cruise control' following. Something must have happened at the end or it only affects certain types of cars.

No way all the beta/early testers didn't notice this as well. That is just illogical.

z9515cq.jpg

Reactions: mtndrew1
I haven't experienced this slithering herky jerky feel in my LR RWD car. If anything it has improved quite significantly. It is less jerky at low speeds than the previous versions. It keeps to the centre line of the lane. It is far more confident and decisive than previously, for example a single lane splitting into two, it will pick a lane and stick to it whereas previously it couldn't quite make up it's mind until the last minute.

The ping-ponging feels like an underdamped system to me. It settles down in a straight line, but a curve, lane change, or adjacent truck can set it oscillating again. A few times it has been very obvious, a large side to side swing gradually settling down into the middle of the lane. Activating Autosteer while on the edge of a lane should trigger this as it recenters itself.

This is a different problem than abrupt lane position changes due to adjacent trucks, though that is hardly ever clear when people are just complaining about weaving all over the place.

The ping-ponging feels like an underdamped system to me. It settles down in a straight line, but a curve, lane change, or adjacent truck can set it oscillating again. A few times it has been very obvious, a large side to side swing gradually settling down into the middle of the lane. Activating Autosteer while on the edge of a lane should trigger this as it recenters itself.

This is a different problem than abrupt lane position changes due to adjacent trucks, though that is hardly ever clear when people are just complaining about weaving all over the place.
I noticed today that how I hold the wheel seemed to have some affect on the ping ponging. If I hold in my normal way applying torque with my right hand it wasn’t so bad. But if I let go completely it was much worse.
Maybe a coincidence... but seemed pretty consistent.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I did a 80 miles round-trip today and didn't experience any of the issues you guys are reporting. I'm actually very impressed with the improvement of AP/NOA.

Wipers also working really good.

There are 2 things that I think it got worse. One: is the smart summons, super slow (1 mph) and less smart.

Two: AP/TAC no longer slows down before entering a tight turn, instead it enters the turn at set speed and only slows down quite aggressive right in the middle of turn.

• Informative
Reactions: ISoGrumpy
I wonder if it's only cars with HW 3.0 that are having these issues.

I have HW2.5 and I've noticed some lane ping-ponging as what seems like a delayed response to bigger vehicles. For e.g. if a van passes me on the left, moments after the van has passed my car will move to the right side of the lane, realize the van is long gone, and then move back. With lots of vehicles around, it can feel like a constant sway in the lane.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I'm seeing a noticeable improvement in IQ with the backup camera on my HW2.5 TM3. I've felt the IQ has been inferior to some mid-2018 firmwares for sometime now and finally have seen a marked improvement that I've been evaluating over the last few days and, therefore, don't believe is placebo.... Can some other folks evaluate it? Sharper and better contrast in the day time is the best description I have.

Reactions: afty and McFlurri
I drove 500 miles yesterday on the east coast and was pretty happy with AP/NoA. No ping ponging and I felt it was far better at following curves than it previously was. I’ve always had the issue where the car seems to react 1/4-1/3 second too slow on sharper curves and it would get very close to crossing the lane lines and sometimes did. It was not a good feeling and surely was freaking out cars near me. It has greatly improved in 2019.40.2.1 for me. Lane changing ability is so much better. It still paused a couple of seconds when cars were nearby but when there were larger gaps it was smooth and confident as I would change lanes. Wipers are still hit or miss. It was drizzly most of the day. They started out great for a few hours. Then the conditions changed slightly and they became terrible. Max speed wiping when it was just super light spray from car tires in front of me so I would turn them off and go back to manual activation. I tried them on and off for the 8 hours of driving and final result is they are still not great for me. hopefully the neural net learns quickly from all of us and improves quickly.

My main issues are that my car still seems to hug a side of a lane. The side has changed since I bought the car in May and between software versions. It’s very apparent at times as cars may pass me on the left and they’re hugging their left side as I’m close to the line. Or if they’re centered in their lane I feel we are very close to each other sometimes uncomfortably so when they are close to their right side and I’m hugging the left. I would also like the car to respond slightly better to curves. It’s far improved for me in this version but it still is just a fraction of a second too slow to react at times and when I’m already hugging one side of a lane it gets close to crossing the lane on some curves.

Overall, pretty happy with the update. And was able to hit 128 kWh on my last supercharger stop at the end of my trip so that was nice.

I used AP for 95% of my drive. I did parking lots and the short local road stops I made for charging. Makes the drive so much easier.

SR+ FSD May 2019.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Drove our 3 yesterday for the first time in a while (usually GF’s commuter car) and don’t see any of the above. Weird. No ping-pong, pretty stable. Middle of lane, good takeoff from stop. I always wonder what the variability in results is from with cars of the same hardware and software.

Love the hold/one-pedal driving and wish my X had/could have it. But still none of the many issues in this thread.

Reactions: Richt
Y
I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but I'm seeing a noticeable improvement in IQ with the backup camera on my HW2.5 TM3. I've felt the IQ has been inferior to some mid-2018 firmwares for sometime now and finally have seen a marked improvement that I've been evaluating over the last few days and, therefore, don't believe is placebo.... Can some other folks evaluate it? Sharper and better contrast in the day time is the best description I have.
yes. The back up camera shenanigans of HW2.5 “seem” to be gone with this update. Well since 2019.40.x update. Always respond now, no delays, no black screens for 15seconds+. Happy about that. The update seems very stable for the most part, the ping-ponging seems to vary day to day. Our HW3 model 3 bounced around a lot when it updated to 40.2.1 where the hw2.5 got much better with 40.2.1 vs 40.1.1. But now they seem ok. Like someone else stated, it appears to be delayed when giving room for bigger trucks and cars and then moves to much and almost will drift out of the lane then catches itself and moves back but this takes places all within 2-5 seconds which gives that slithering feeling. But I think this is our last update for the year. So hopefully next year we get more stuff which we will but I think we aren’t that far away from street level NOA.