Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.2 - FSD AutoSteer Stop Sign Warning and Adjacent Lane Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im confused.. why are people saying they have a 2020 Model 3 when its not 2020 yet..

Tesla doesnt do model years.. so if your car was built in 2019.. its a 2019 model.
You are correct they don't do model years, but they did change to registering the VINs as 2020 for cars produced in the Q4 (starting oct 1, 2019) - presumably to be more similar to the rest of the industry.

However, there is no difference between a 2019 model 3 produced on Sept 30 and a 2020 produced on Oct 1. That's what they mean by not doing model years.

Adjacent Lane Speeds : Rather not be stopping/slowing in the HOV lane just because the regular lanes are stopped. That would rather defeat the purpose.
I disagree. A high speed differential in two adjacent lanes is extremely dangerous, particularly on the edge lanes (e. g. HOV lanes or weaving lanes) where people can jump out of the slower lane with no warning. If the HOV lane is flowing and traffic in the normal lanes is stopped, I surely don't want my car to stop in the HOV lane, but I don't want to be zipping along at 72 MPH and being on tenterhooks waiting for some genius to pop out into the lane without looking for oncoming traffic from behind. And, as the release notes say, if you want to go faster, there's a lever for that.

I disagree. A high speed differential in two adjacent lanes is extremely dangerous, particularly on the edge lanes (e. g. HOV lanes or weaving lanes) where people can jump out of the slower lane with no warning. If the HOV lane is flowing and traffic in the normal lanes is stopped, I surely don't want my car to stop in the HOV lane, but I don't want to be zipping along at 72 MPH and being on tenterhooks waiting for some genius to pop out into the lane without looking for oncoming traffic from behind. And, as the release notes say, if you want to go faster, there's a lever for that.

On the routes I drive on my commute, the HOV/Toll lanes are separated, part physically, part with separations. They are treated as separate roads, with defined merge points, with gaps in the physical barriers where needed.

Like I said, I hope it acts sensibly, and doesn't slam on the brakes, more than it does already, when it gets a gap and sees a car in an adjacent, (but separated by a significant distance) lane.

It already does slam on in cases where there is a merge and sees an adjacent, parallel lane, but 4 or 5 lane widths away.

Additional, if the main carriageway is stopped, and you aren't traveling at the speed of traffic on the HOV lanes, which might be full speed, you may well be ticketed.

On the routes I drive on my commute, the HOV/Toll lanes are separated, part physically, part with separations. They are treated as separate roads, with defined merge points, with gaps in the physical barriers where needed.

Like I said, I hope it acts sensibly, and doesn't slam on the brakes, more than it does already, when it gets a gap and sees a car in an adjacent, (but separated by a significant distance) lane.

It already does slam on in cases where there is a merge and sees an adjacent, parallel lane, but 4 or 5 lane widths away.

Additional, if the main carriageway is stopped, and you aren't traveling at the speed of traffic on the HOV lanes, which might be full speed, you may well be ticketed.
I can see both sides of the Adjacent Lane Speed conversation. Time will tell how sensibly this was implemented. Worst case it slows to exactly match the adjacent lane. But I assume in fact it allows some differential. Absolute? Relative? Algorithmic minds want to know!

Reactions: DopeGhoti
I can see both sides of the Adjacent Lane Speed conversation. Time will tell how sensibly this was implemented. Worst case it slows to exactly match the adjacent lane. But I assume in fact it allows some differential. Absolute? Relative? Algorithmic minds want to know!
Maybe they will allow owners to turn this feature on or off, just as they do with may of the other Autopilot features.

Do you FSD owners with HW3 already have the "stop light warning" feature triggering now? The release notes say stop signs in addition to stop lights. I have FSD with HW2.5 and I certainly don't have the stop light detection on 2019.36.2.4.
The stop light warning that I've seen so far on AP2/AP2.5/AP3 only seems to activate if it detects the light turning red as you are going through the intersection.

Based on that, I'm guessing the stop sign warning will activate if you run a stop sign.

I have FSD with HW2.5 and I certainly don't have the stop light detection on 2019.36.2.4.
The warning is shown when Autopilot + Autosteer are active and it detects a red light. I can trigger it pretty consistently with HW2.5 on 2019.36.2.4 adjusting the set speed down to 18mph as I approach stop lights giving myself enough time to manually stop the car before the line.

I would assume stop sign warning will be similar (beeping and showing on screen a big red steering wheel and brake pedal) with enough time to actually stop before the line.

You are correct they don't do model years, but they did change to registering the VINs as 2020 for cars produced in the Q4 (starting oct 1, 2019) - presumably to be more similar to the rest of the industry.

However, there is no difference between a 2019 model 3 produced on Sept 30 and a 2020 produced on Oct 1. That's what they mean by not doing model years.

there is a difference for 2020 model 3 for details check the 2020 model difference post in the delivery section, here is some example: no hook in the front trunk, no light indoor pocket

• Informative
Reactions: naux
(This may not really belong here, but neither does all the model year discussion...)

Does anyone else make note of when, in TeslaFi percentage terms, they get the new release? I haven't been obsessive/perfect about checking, but I'm seeing pretty consistently that I get the new release when the population percentage reaches between 12% and 15%.

upload_2019-12-6_12-3-7.png

I got offered .36.2.4 (from .36.2.3) on the afternoon of the 4th, when the percent reached about 12%, for example.

FWIW, I'm a P3D+, #63xxx, HW2.5, preference set to Advanced.

Does anyone else make note of when, in TeslaFi percentage terms, they get the new release? I haven't been obsessive/perfect about checking, but I'm seeing pretty consistently that I get the new release when the population percentage reaches between 12% and 15%.

FWIW, I'm a P3D+, #63xxx, HW2.5, preference set to Advanced.

P3D, Sept 2019 build, HW3, usually in the 20 to 25% bucket, also advanced

The warning is shown when Autopilot + Autosteer are active and it detects a red light. I can trigger it pretty consistently with HW2.5 on 2019.36.2.4 adjusting the set speed down to 18mph as I approach stop lights giving myself enough time to manually stop the car before the line.

I would assume stop sign warning will be similar (beeping and showing on screen a big red steering wheel and brake pedal) with enough time to actually stop before the line.

I've yet to see a traffic light warning and I've purposely tried to trigger it a couple of times.

• Informative
Reactions: Bloomj and GSP