Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you find out what HW version is on your car?
That can be tricky. There is a VIN indication with the MS - but it is unreliable - supposedly your sentry vids will be h.265 with HW3 but that is also not always the case. I had an HW3 upgrade scheduled because by every indication I had HW2.5 - I went to the appointment and left the car only to be notified an hour later that HW3 was already installed. That was revealed with the SC diagnostic software, not even Tesla knew. My car was manufactured in March 2019.

The most reliable indicator if you do not have 2019.40.50.1 would be previous 2019.36.xx updates that include cone visualization. That only works with HW3 cars.

Reactions: holmgang
Not to take the jam out of anyone's donut, but does it seem at all odd (or at least asymmetric) to anyone else that putting cones on the display was "traffic display improvement" but putting stoplights/signs on the display is somehow an "FSD Sneak Peek"?

No. With regular "stay in lane" functionality from Autopilot, the are already needs to deal with the appearance of traffic cones. We know it won't respond to Stop signs or red lights while running on Autopilot, but it needs to slow or stop for traffic ahead, or for obstructions like cones which may be marking off dangerous roadway or construction.

The new visualizations (Stop sign, traffic lights) only apply for FSD, not Autopilot.

I'm curious about what other road signs and markings will show up now for HW3 equipped vehicles. We've already seen traffic lights, stop signs, stop lines and turning lane markers on the road. Are yield signs being rendered as well? What about traffic lights with directional arrows for turning lanes only?

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I have everything advertised in the release notes except the text message alert/reading. I start message via voice but couldn’t get the tap to send to work. When I had someone message me, nothing happened on the car. Anyone seen it work?

the visualization is cool!

I thought the idea was that the car now understands 'natural language'?

Yes, it understands natural language as a way to ask for particular things... but which particular things can you ask about?

You can't ask it for just anything. I'd like to know the list of things I can ask for while using natural language.

Side note - I'd like to be able to voice-activate voice commands. I don't like the feel of long-pressing a rocker button to trigger it, so I reach to the screen to fire it up.

Reactions: tezzla
This I know. But @Mardak stated he was getting some sort of stop sign warning in his HW 2.5 vehicle. Hence my question.

you probably have it too. It just won’t trigger unless you’re in AP and literally running the stop sign. I started triggering it on my 3 with the 40.2 update that allowed AP speed adjustments down to 2mph. Before that I never was willing to put other people in danger to test it, so I don’t know how well it worked on previous versions, but it’s been fairly consistent for me on the few lights and stop signs are empty of cars enough to test on.

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I havent seen anyone mention this, but I just tested the following voice commands and they worked:

"Turn the wipers on auto"
"Turn the wipers off"
"Turn the wipers on speed 2"
"Turn the wipers on speed 3"

Might be interesting to some, that you can now turn the wiper speed on / off / to a set speed with voice commands...":D

(note, obviously on the newly released firmware this thread is about. Also, just as a data point, my car is a Model 3P MFR date 11/15/2018, Purchased 12/04/2018, with HW2.5 and EAP purchased with the car, and FSD added after the fact during the short 2k discount window)

Last edited:
you probably have it too. It just won’t trigger unless you’re in AP and literally running the stop sign. I started triggering it on my 3 with the 40.2 update that allowed AP speed adjustments down to 2mph. Before that I never was willing to put other people in danger to test it, so I don’t know how well it worked on previous versions, but it’s been fairly consistent for me on the few lights and stop signs are empty of cars enough to test on.
Stop signs worked on HW2.5 but sometimes with NoA on you have to creep right to the edge of the intersection before the visual alert regardless of where the actual Stop sign is. I presume it works the same way now I just haven't tried it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
That can be tricky. There is a VIN indication with the MS - but it is unreliable - supposedly your sentry vids will be h.265 with HW3 but that is also not always the case.

That hasn't been the case for a while now.

Only easy way to tell today is the visualization stuff (if you see cones you have HW3- and after this 40.50 update if you see any of a lot more things you have HW3)

Only other way (besides trusting whatever rando at Tesla you talk to, if you can get one on the phone) is opening up the dash and physically looking at the part.

Haven't received the update yet. Went for a drive this morning and now the car is sitting on Wifi. P3D- w/ HW3

Got the update and it's just occurred to me that my P3D- would be perfect for driving in the City (NYC). I pushed a hack there for years, the Stealth would swing around there like nobody's business........not meaning the FSD stuff but in general......

Last edited:
Has anyone with the Acceleration Boost Option installed and HW3 received this update? Nothing here yet, but I know it's early in the cycle.
WA State 6/19 LR AWD+ w/HW3 FSD
I would have thought this configuration would have been early in the release cycle, no?