Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.40.50.x - Driving Visualization improvements, new voice commands, Camping Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had several BMWs with this feature, and BMW definitely reads the speed limit via the cameras. You can tell because sometimes it gets it wrong, i.e. it will occasionally read the speed limit sign for an alley or some other adjacent road.

Understood. I'm not saying it's technically difficult, it's that MobileEye (now owned by Intel) have a patent that more or less claims the basic concept of reading speed limit signs. I dont want to comment here on the validity of such "do it with a computer" type patent, but it means that anyone doing speed limit sign reading has to either (a) license the patent or (b) risk going to court to fight over it. My guess is BMW chose (a), and Tesla, for the time being, are avoiding either route by using map data and GPS.

Reactions: RobRain
Don't think server load is a problem. Tesla obviously uses some cloud service from Amazon, Azure or whatever, which can handle much heavier load... There are way more Alexa users than Tesla drivers.

I'm not saying that the cause here IS server load, nor that Tesla is using servers (that has not been proven imho). However, assuming they are using servers, then it may indeed by scaling. Clouds services like Amazon AWS and Azure do not magically scale, the user (Tesla) still has to implement scaling using the infrastructure and tools provided by the vendor. So yes, it could be a scaling problem.

Throughput is not an issue, nor should it be. The pipeline is far more robust these days and can handle just about everything. When you go to a website and there is a delay in response, it's not because the upload/download is clogged. It's all about processing. Amazon has its own servers to handle Alexa.

The voice commands are getting through. Once received, Tesla's servers would have to authenticate the command and respond and activate accordingly to the unique sender. The slowdown occurs when those servers get overloaded.

I assume it's done in stages. First - local client is trying to recognize the command. If it fails it is sent to the cloud and processed there. At least that's how I would implement it...
As for Alexa - first, it doesn't have enough local computing power to process any question completely, second - it anyway has to go to the server for an answer, third - it has stable internet connection.
So the requirements are quite different.

Some weird problems:
1. Car doesn't show "Favorites". Enabled on the phone, All checked on car bluetooth options. Have "Messages", Recent", "Contacts" and "Dialer". iPhone XR.
2. Doesn't send replies - ignores tap on screen and steering wheel right button (Message from voice recognized and shown on screen and "Tap to send" is on the screen).

I'm having the same sending issue. It recognizes/transcribes fine, but doesn't ever send on tap. (iPhone 11 Pro Max iOS 13)

Woah. My car perpendicularly parked with no other cars around it. Just read the lane markings. And auto parked. Holy sheeet

Were there any obstructions to the side of the space that weren’t cars, or was it on an open parking lot? You didn’t necessarily need cars before, just two things the ultrasonics could detect that the car thought it could park between.

My car yelled at me today while on autopilot for almost going through a red light. (no stop sign in sight). I guess the stop sign warning now sometimes works on stop lights.

red light warning was put in at the same time as stop sign warnings. They were just both infrequent since they would only trigger if you were actually running the light/stop sign on AP. You can test it now more safely since you can reduce your speed on AP down to 2mph, unlike the crazy you tubers who were endangering themselves and other people testing it when AP speed could at lowest be set to 18mph.

Reactions: PaulJohn
Were there any obstructions to the side of the space that weren’t cars, or was it on an open parking lot? You didn’t necessarily need cars before, just two things the ultrasonics could detect that the car thought it could park between.

Ok, so I got out of the gym, tried to re-create it, and could not.

Everyday, I drive my Tesla to the gym. I park in the back, totally empty, no cars....I drive in the parking lot, pass a couple spots, reverse into the same parking space everyday. Think of it as parking at a Supercharger.

Today, it picked up the line markings, and autopark came on, I have no idea how it did it, but I could not get it to re-create...this is the only time this has happened. I was really excited when it did, no idea why it won't do it again....obviously something is not right here....I did not save the clip!

Parking lot looks like this:

500_F_232505942_HpwDRVQCUT7GGUuYT6Lwdl93s9BQIuOQ.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PaulJohn
I noticed a power drop with 40.2.1 and now with 40.50.1 I still don't feel that power has returned. LR RWD Model 3. Any other RWD folks also see this?

Folks report this kinda thing often with SW updates.

Nobody's ever actually be able to show there was really a loss once they take measurements with a vbox or draggy though.

Butt dynos are terribly unreliable.

When did you last go to school.:D Google can help the uneducated:)

I know the difference between parallel and perpendicular THANK YOU. Which one of my MANY DEGREES are you referring to? The Undergraduate or Post Graduate Degrees??? And by the way do you have ANYTHING REMOTELY helpful to ADD to this forum? Every post is a snipe or snip at someone. I’m sure I’m quite a bit more educated than yourself. Calling me “uneducated” is not winning you any friends but IS showing the state and enormity of your lack of class. Putting people down in these forums has gotten quite out of control. And you are currently leading that astute group. For the “educated” like yourself that’s the “Classless Lack of Control” Group. Good Day!

Ski

• Funny
Reactions: OzVic
Based on what I am seeing in TeslaFi software tracker, I think the roll out has substantially stalled. Just trickling now (maybe folks on holiday coming back to allow the update to load), but it doesn't seem to be rolling out at anything close to the rate we initially saw on 12/24 (was several installs a minute now one install every several minutes). Maybe some issues? Guess I'm not so bummed that I'm stuck on 40.2.1.
Apparently they just started rolling out 40.2.5 to some users today including me (HW2.5 MCU1). Instead of the 40.50.x released. TeslaTi confirms.

Could be some scalability issue uncovered. It's not because of the available server power though, Amazon/Azure lets you provision all the cloud computing power you need (and pay for). If this is a scaling issue it's only because their software has issues.

Ok, so I got out of the gym, tried to re-create it, and could not.

Everyday, I drive my Tesla to the gym. I park in the back, totally empty, no cars....I drive in the parking lot, pass a couple spots, reverse into the same parking space everyday. Think of it as parking at a Supercharger.

Today, it picked up the line markings, and autopark came on, I have no idea how it did it, but I could not get it to re-create...this is the only time this has happened. I was really excited when it did, no idea why it won't do it again....obviously something is not right here....I did not save the clip!

Parking lot looks like this:

500_F_232505942_HpwDRVQCUT7GGUuYT6Lwdl93s9BQIuOQ.jpg
Wow, cool. Hopefully it wasn’t a fluke and it’s the first step of them using cameras for auto park.

Reactions: jordanair45
Seems likely the visualization will be where Autopilot detects the stop line. I can consistently trigger a warning at a stop sign with a diagonal cross street with a line that isn't directly extended from the sign, and even going slowly at 1mph, it shows the warning only when it would pass the line and not just passing the sign. This is with HW2.5.

It's not too different from traffic light and stop line detection where the two are more likely not aligned and need to be detected separately.
I got this update but have not seen any new visualizations. Is there a setting that I missed or need to configure?