Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Funny
Reactions: coconutboy84

Unlikely, but possible.

In any case what you're suggesting implies that they did this only on the Performance and not on the AWD, which doesn't make a ton of sense.

We'll see. It'll be obvious when people get their cars delivered and take the two critical pictures of the Energy consumption screen which tell you the nominal maximum energy content.

:(:(
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1319363500695785473?s=20

Green with some info from the software.
  • Top console that nobody noted?
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Efficiency package, probably the heat pump
  • Heated radar
  • USB-C in glove box
  • Liftgate
  • New wheels added
  • MY with 3rd row flat fold, and HEPA filter.
  • ADAPTIVE SUSPESION, in the works for 3/Y :eek:
  • And talks about sourcing new radar with higher res and longer range
Air suspension?? Now I'm really sad

Unlikely, but possible.

In any case what you're suggesting implies that they did this only on the Performance and not on the AWD, which doesn't make a ton of sense.
I am just suggesting the refresh is related to energy density improvement. The kWh numbers in EPA tests are just too "random" to explain.

For example, Why didn't Tesla pick another 2021 LR car with ~80.8kWh after they performed a test with only 78.557kWh? Impossible for us to explain.

"OEMs do the range testing in-house to the EPA's specifications and provide the report to the EPA. In about 15% to 20% of the time, the EPA takes the report and conducts its own testing in-house to verify the OEM's data."
Porsche Taycan Turbo Crushes EPA Range Rating On Our 436-Mile Drive

Last edited:
OEMs do the range testing in-house to the EPA's specifications and provide the report to the EPA. In about 15% to 20% of the time, the EPA takes the report and conducts its own testing in-house to verify the OEM's data."

There are a lot of reasons for this.

The Adjustment Factor Tesla Uses to Get Its Big EPA Range Numbers

It’s also maybe a bit easier to make the EPA range if you start off less efficient like the Porsche (assuming it is not drivetrain losses proportional to power output), since aero is a smaller factor in overall consumption. They appear to have averaged 340Wh/mi and I don’t get the sense they were going 80mph (at that speed you see about 300Wh/mi in a Model 3). Says they went 70-80mph.

I am just suggesting the refresh is related to energy density improvement. The kWh numbers in EPA tests are just too "random" to explain.

Not ruling out that there is a hidden density improvement, but the car is not lighter and it has no more energy available for now (in the LR). Maybe later.

Last edited:

For example, Why didn't Tesla pick another 2021 LR car with ~80.8kWh after they performed a test with only 78.557kWh? Impossible for us to explain.

"OEMs do the range testing in-house to the EPA's specifications and provide the report to the EPA. In about 15% to 20% of the time, the EPA takes the report and conducts its own testing in-house to verify the OEM's data."

Up until 2020 model 3 LR had 75Kwh battery, right? Where do the 78.557 and 80.8 come from?

• Informative
Reactions: EVNation
Up until 2020 model 3 LR had 75Kwh battery, right? Where do the 78.557 and 80.8 come from?

No that is incorrect. Always been in the range of 78-80kWh. Except for original LR RWD which was software locked a bit lower for a while (later unlocked for owners to full capacity).

SMT typically shows around 78kWh when new.

Vehicles start showing loss of rated miles below 76kWh (pre-2020) and 77.6kWh (2020).

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: transpondster
Laminated windows spotten in Belgium, but on the older Model 3.
Tesla-Model-3-double-pane-windows-2.jpg