Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went out for a drive in drizzling rain. The car performed very poorly on a winding 2-lane road. Crossed over the double yellow line multiple times, slowed way down because I assume it couldn't hold the lane due to the water reflections.

This is a bit surprising to me because my experience with regular AP has always been decent in rain. Looks like the NN needs more rain training. Hopefully my drive satisfied some of Tesla's triggering events. Reporting my AP snapshots as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00
To me it seems they are a tad slow to start, then they start working the best and follow the rain well. It is when the rain goes from a little fast and slows down or stops that the wipers are wonky and keep working on high and take WAY too long to slow down or stop. This to me is the worst part. Having the wipers wiping like crazy after the rain has stoped. They are just WAY too slow to react after the rain slows or stops.
Agree 1000%!

Reactions: impastu
What did the “drive selector” show?
That's a good question. A few days ago this happened to me. I was at an intersection about to make an unprotected left turn, when my car started to make the turn, not seeing a nearby car coming from the right in the lane I was about to enter. I hit the brakes to disengage so I wouldn't be hit and immediately moved the stalk upward so it wouldn't still be in cruise contol mode. However, with my foot on the brake, I unintentionally put the car into neutral. Now, taking my foot off the brake, the car began to drift backwards (the road I was on was not flat). I thought the car was in reverse until I looked at the selector and saw I was in Neutral. Anyway, I was very confused at the time about why the car was moving backwards.

Has it been verified the car goes into reverse with 10.3.1?
A couple of people said 10.3.1 goes into reverse, on Twitter, one said Elon had "liked" the tweet but I didn't verify that.

Let's say it does do reverse creep. What happens if you floor the accelerator during the reverse. Does it go fast backwards, go forwards, disengage FSD, or do nothing? What do you want it to do?

Say you didn't notice the reverse creeping, the R gear selector, perhaps there's other displays too. But at that moment you are correctly looking out at traffic at the truck barreling towards you as your car is poking out. You're not sure if FSD is gonna go for it quickly, but you think you'd better floor it and scoot away with your acceleration.

So you floor it. FSD has quietly switched into reverse creep and is slowly going back a few inches. You didn't notice. So what happens when you floor the accelerator right then?

I don't know. Is there a correct answer? That's why there's a physical mechanical mechanism on most ICE cars so you can't engage reverse without intentionally doing so. This is different. This is the car changing direction without clearly telling you, but YOU NEED to know because you're the one actually driving.

To those who say you should notice you're backing up. Have you ever been beside a car that is slightly moving, or is it you moving? Well your foot is on the brake so it's not you. But on FSD beta how can you be positively sure while looking out the windshield...?

Last edited:
10.3.1 came about the same time it started raining here. It is now taking corners on winding roads much slower--about 10 mph slower--than 10.2 did on dry roads. Same roads. before, it would do about recommended speed--yellow speed sign-- +5mph. Now it's -5mph. Is the car actually recognizing the roads are wet, or is 10.3.1 just taking corners slower? It will be a few days before I can drive those roads when they are dry.

10.3.1 came about the same time it started raining here. It is now taking corners on winding roads much slower--about 10 mph slower--than 10.2 did on dry roads. Same roads. before, it would do about recommended speed--yellow speed sign-- +5mph. Now it's -5mph. Is the car actually recognizing the roads are wet, or is 10.3.1 just taking corners slower? It will be a few days before I can drive those roads when they are dry.

i think the car is having a harder time detecting the lane, so it slows to a speed where it can process what's going on. I never got to test rain on 10.2 either, so I dunno if this is new to 10.3 or not. I suspect 10.2 would have struggled as well.

I was just speculating because my experience with roundabouts is that FSD beta is terrible at entering, traversing and exiting them. It's easily its worst feature just behind unprotected left turns. In my experience with 10.2 and 10.3.1, it can barely do a small one lane roundabout if there is any traffic and multilane roundabouts are virtually impossible.

It seems to me that FSD beta thinks that a roundabout is just an unrelated sequence consisting of an unprotected right turn, a curved road and then another a right turn. It even signals as such. It also has no idea what speed to use.
FWIW, I didn't have the beta until Sunday, with the release of 10.3, but I have seen it use left and right turn signals in roundabouts.

FSD Beta continues to struggle with
- Turning on to road with a divider from an unmarked road
- Small round-abouts
- Turning left from one unmarked road to another
On my test run today - 10.3.1 successfully handled the 1st condition above.

It had failed multiple times in the past.

The success could be because
- dumb luck
- planning has actually improved
- earlier disengagements were because I was holding on to the wheel

Ofcourse, the car first tried to drive on to the divider, then swung right and then somehow managed to get into the lane.

On roads with just side markings - it seems to be better behaved. Drove towards the right (of center) and handled oncoming traffic without panicking.

Need to confirm with a few more tries.

Last edited:
Here is my first experience and I sent this information over to the email that Tesla gave us for FSD beta.

I sent a lot of snapshots on October 25th between 5:30 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. I am using the chill profile, but it doesn't feel like it, haha.

First thing, the turn signal should be activated before the car goes into a turn lane even if it's a new lane. On navigate on autopilot , the turn signal is turned on before making the exit. The same thing should happen for lane changes even if it's a new turning lane.

The car gets really scared and hits the brakes kind of hard for a short moment when it notices a car in its path. I feel like it should be initially slower and only get progressively harder if we start getting too close to the other car. I sent a few snapshots of this occurring. It seems to occur on hills more often.

I live near Amish and Mennonites. There are a lot of Amish buggies that use our roads and we have to go around them when it's safe of course. It looks like FSD doesn't detect them yet. I saved the snapshot of when I took over in order to wait until it was safe to pass one. I'll try this again in the future see what happens.

Even at the farthest following distance of seven. I feel like it gets too close for my liking depending on the speed. This happened even before FSD beta. I feel like there should be a 10 setting for people like me who don't like to tailgate. I'll rather have people changing lanes in front of me because of my large gap instead of driving too close to the car in front.

When approaching stopped cars or red lights, the car brakes too late and sharply. I like to brake nice and slow just like as if we were being tested for the Tesla safety score.

I was thinking that I was having so many issues because maybe my cameras were dirty. When I got home, I proceeded to clean all my cameras with a wet paper towel and then dry it with a dry towel. They didn't look like they were that dirty, but there's something funky going on with the front camera. See the attached picture. I used Aquapel 2 years ago in order to help the rain come off the car more easily. I'm going to apply it soon again since it's starting to wear out. I applied it on the whole windscreen including the cameras. It looks like there's an issue with the Aquapel coating or my windshield. What do you think? This could be why I'm having so many issues with the car being scared and braking often. The section where the cameras are located was really hot as well. I'm assuming maybe the heating elements were on since I see what looks like defroster heater lines in front of the camera.

I also sent a snapshot where there is a downhill winding road and the car drove over to the other lane for no reason. I figured it was going to be tricky since it was a very complicated section.

Also when turning on a neighborhood street with no lines, the Tesla went over the other opposing lane and didn't stay on the right side of the street very well.

I look forward to improving FSD beta for our complicated Pennsylvania hills, blind corners, Amish buggies and aggressive drivers.

Attachments

• PXL_20211025_223131387.jpg
    PXL_20211025_223131387.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 67
How often should we hit the record and send to Tesla button? Every time it does anything out of the ordinary? Only when it does something dangerous? If it repeats the same thing at the same location every time do we continue to hit the button every time? Same questions re sending emails. I'm really surprised there's no guidance from Tesla. Your thoughts

Here is my first experience and I sent this information over to the email that Tesla gave us for FSD beta.

I sent a lot of snapshots on October 25th between 5:30 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. I am using the chill profile, but it doesn't feel like it, haha.

First thing, the turn signal should be activated before the car goes into a turn lane even if it's a new lane. On navigate on autopilot , the turn signal is turned on before making the exit. The same thing should happen for lane changes even if it's a new turning lane.

The car gets really scared and hits the brakes kind of hard for a short moment when it notices a car in its path. I feel like it should be initially slower and only get progressively harder if we start getting too close to the other car. I sent a few snapshots of this occurring. It seems to occur on hills more often.

I live near Amish and Mennonites. There are a lot of Amish buggies that use our roads and we have to go around them when it's safe of course. It looks like FSD doesn't detect them yet. I saved the snapshot of when I took over in order to wait until it was safe to pass one. I'll try this again in the future see what happens.

Even at the farthest following distance of seven. I feel like it gets too close for my liking depending on the speed. This happened even before FSD beta. I feel like there should be a 10 setting for people like me who don't like to tailgate. I'll rather have people changing lanes in front of me because of my large gap instead of driving too close to the car in front.

When approaching stopped cars or red lights, the car brakes too late and sharply. I like to brake nice and slow just like as if we were being tested for the Tesla safety score.

I was thinking that I was having so many issues because maybe my cameras were dirty. When I got home, I proceeded to clean all my cameras with a wet paper towel and then dry it with a dry towel. They didn't look like they were that dirty, but there's something funky going on with the front camera. See the attached picture. I used Aquapel 2 years ago in order to help the rain come off the car more easily. I'm going to apply it soon again since it's starting to wear out. I applied it on the whole windscreen including the cameras. It looks like there's an issue with the Aquapel coating or my windshield. What do you think? This could be why I'm having so many issues with the car being scared and braking often. The section where the cameras are located was really hot as well. I'm assuming maybe the heating elements were on since I see what looks like defroster heater lines in front of the camera.

I also sent a snapshot where there is a downhill winding road and the car drove over to the other lane for no reason. I figured it was going to be tricky since it was a very complicated section.

Also when turning on a neighborhood street with no lines, the Tesla went over the other opposing lane and didn't stay on the right side of the street very well.

I look forward to improving FSD beta for our complicated Pennsylvania hills, blind corners, Amish buggies and aggressive drivers.
Are those bubbles in the glass in front of your cameras?

How often should we hit the record and send to Tesla button? Every time it does anything out of the ordinary? Only when it does something dangerous? If it repeats the same thing at the same location every time do we continue to hit the button every time? Same questions re sending emails. I'm really surprised there's no guidance from Tesla. Your thoughts

word from older testers suggest there's only enough storage in the car for 5 AP snapshots, per day. Certain disengagements will also trigger data to get submitted automatically. Use the snapshot feature if you think something is really wonky/bad and really needs attention.

Did you know that FSD can arbitrarily decide to start reversing when creeping forward at intersections? I didn't, now I know that hitting the accelerometer could send me backwards if the FSD decided to reverse.
Priuses have had that inside-the-cabin beeping for reverse since 2003. It seemed silly, but it just takes one event where you thought you were in drive but the car was actually in reverse. I don't miss it, having been Tesla only since 2015, but I understand why Toyota designed that in.

Reactions: gaspi101 and Dan D.
I am using the chill profile, but it doesn't feel like it, haha.

After a few similar reports, I'm wondering if the aggressiveness toggle is mainly a feedback mechanism.

Like if 90% of beta users switch to chill, they'll get that data and start working on making the ride smoother. And then if everyone switches over to aggressive they'll get the message they made it too slow.

Reactions: GargantulaKon