Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you suspect that a dedicated routine is not implemented? Yesterday, on 10.3.1, I encountered a left through a roundabout so new that the navigation data thought it was still a 4-way stop. FSD handled it fine, even though navigation tried to re-route halfway through it thinking the turn had been missed
I was just speculating because my experience with roundabouts is that FSD beta is terrible at entering, traversing and exiting them. It's easily its worst feature just behind unprotected left turns. In my experience with 10.2 and 10.3.1, it can barely do a small one lane roundabout if there is any traffic and multilane roundabouts are virtually impossible.

It seems to me that FSD beta thinks that a roundabout is just an unrelated sequence consisting of an unprotected right turn, a curved road and then another a right turn. It even signals as such. It also has no idea what speed to use.

So I have FSD engaged and took my first ride yesterday. Some quirks, most of which were already relayed here (stopping at a stop sign WAY too far back to see if anyone was coming, not noticing these little pedestrian walkways in this tiny beach town) but overall it was great. So here is my dumb question. On turns, conscious of the requirement to keep the hands on the wheel, I find that I am "accidentally" disengaging FSD since any pressure from me seems to stop the turns. How are you all finessing this?

Did you know that FSD can arbitrarily decide to start reversing when creeping forward at intersections? I didn't, now I know that hitting the accelerometer could send me backwards if the FSD decided to reverse.
This has been discussed before. Some people think, this is dangerous. I think it is fine - as long as the car makes sure not to hit the car at the back. I frequently see cars reversing too - usually when they get into backed up intersections, thinking they can go through but the signal changes.

ps : What I didn't know was that you can include reddit comments here like that !

Reactions: impastu
So I have FSD engaged and took my first ride yesterday. Some quirks, most of which were already relayed here (stopping at a stop sign WAY too far back to see if anyone was coming, not noticing these little pedestrian walkways in this tiny beach town) but overall it was great. So here is my dumb question. On turns, conscious of the requirement to keep the hands on the wheel, I find that I am "accidentally" disengaging FSD since any pressure from me seems to stop the turns. How are you all finessing this?
Same here. I am unable to finesse this as well. It doesn’t take much to disengage FSD. Happened twice today.

This has been discussed before. Some people think, this is dangerous. I think it is fine - as long as the car makes sure not to hit the car at the back. I frequently see cars reversing too - usually when they get into backed up intersections, thinking they can go through but the signal changes.
I didn't think they actually shipped this, Elon only Tweeted about but never saw it mentioned in the wild.

Did you know that FSD can arbitrarily decide to start reversing when creeping forward at intersections? I didn't, now I know that hitting the accelerometer could send me backwards if the FSD decided to reverse.
Wow I didn't know the car could reverse yet. I agree the car should make it VERY clear that it is in reverse. PRND indicator alone is not enough if it's being changed autonomously IMO.

This is stupid as hell. I constantly hit the go pedal as an override, and sometimes have to gun it to make sure I don’t impede oncoming traffic. If it does it without warning it’s very likely I’ll back into someone eventually. when Tesla no longer needs us to override and the Beta just works, this is fine. As is, it’s one of the dumbest effing things they could implement.

Wow I didn't know the car could reverse yet. I agree the car should make it VERY clear that it is in reverse. PRND indicator alone is not enough if it's being changed autonomously IMO.
IMO it should audibly say "reversing reversing" inside for as long as it's engaged, it should be annoyingly obvious, it's in Beta. Plus say REVERSING in big letters across the display. Jeez, not even mentioning this clearly in the notes that it may reverse without warning!

Last edited:
Let the wheel slide underneath your hands and apply pressure to takeover if the car does anything you don't want it to.

Here is an example of problem created because the mapping was completely incorrect and messed with FSD.
The planner was correct that I should be making a left hand turn. But the navigation had me making a right hand turn out of the parking lot which is wrong. Making it worse is the next turn immediately after the turn shows as a U-Turn. Really! This also appears to be affecting when I'm taking a right hand turn into the grocery store where on 2 occasions FSD wanted to turn back onto the main road after I was already pointed into the store parking lot. Obvious disengagements. Maps where I live clearly s...k. Reported to Tesla beta team.

Market Basket- Combined Panes.jpg

Here is an example of problem created because the mapping was completely incorrect and messed with FSD.
The planner was correct that I should be making a left hand turn. But the navigation had me making a right hand turn out of the parking lot which is wrong. Making it worse is the next turn immediately after the turn shows as a U-Turn. Really! This also appears to be affecting when I'm taking a right hand turn into the grocery store where on 2 occasions FSD wanted to turn back onto the main road after I was already pointed into the store parking lot. Obvious disengagements. Maps where I live clearly s...k. Reported to Tesla beta team.

View attachment 726052

the car doesn't like Market Basket. (sorry inside joke)

kinda like this?

SOURCE: giphy.com
The point is the driver didn't know it was in reverse. Didn't even know it could go in reverse. Most commentators didn't know it could go in reverse. Even with a warning I'm not sure we should be allowing reversing.

If you "let" the car reverse into a pedestrian or cyclist YOU are going to be charged with the injury. Think about that.

Reactions: zigmeister
The point is the driver didn't know it was in reverse. Didn't even know it could go in reverse. Most commentators didn't know it could go in reverse. Even with a warning I'm not sure we should be allowing reversing.

If you "let" the car reverse into a pedestrian or cyclist YOU are going to be charged with the injury. Think about that.
Has it been verified the car goes into reverse with 10.3.1?

Novox77 you live in the general area are you finding significant mapping problems? I'm beginning to wonder how much of my problems are caused by FSD or just the crapping maps FSD has to use.

When I read your post, I was thinking about how Billerica revamped 3A/Boston Rd around the town center and how that might impact mapping and FSD behavior. tbh, i haven't been putting a lot of mental power into tying FSD behavior to potential mapping issues. I just disengage whenever the system does something stupid.

As you know, I did dig around OpenStreetMaps a bit, since there seems to be a popular consensus that some mapping data may be sourced from there, but so far I haven't found a smoking gun tying incorrect/missing data from OSM and FSD. That doesn't mean there might not be a problem with Tesla's map, but I'm not sure we can do much about it except report the issue.

100% on board with this. this would cause legit sudden unintended accelerations (in reverse).

Reactions: Dan D.

What did the “drive selector” show?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dan D.