Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New beta tester with 10.3.1 (SS 99) and I am impressed, but it's got a ways to go.
Took a 100 mile drive today, and it completed the first 10 miles segment without a disengagement. Then went on the two lane highway and noticed I couldn't effect following distance change with the thumb wheel. I was set to FSD-"average", and I guess that locks the following distance to about 2 seconds which was uncomfortable for me at 60+MPH. Also the car would slow down a few MPH often with oncoming traffic. Got really annoying and definitely not as smooth as Autopilot/TACC.

Anyone else experiencing this behavior?
I'm using FSD-average and can still change the follow distance on the highway.

Day 3 observations:

I am mostly driving around the Burbank-San Gabriel area. I would not be so confident in downtown LA or Hollywood/weHo with fsd.
  • Turning jerkiness: haven’t experienced a smooth turn yet. There is always at least 1 adjustments while mid turn. Even starting the turn has some hesitation or adjustment that throws off the smooth senses. Definitely an aggressive turner.
  • Turning onto a freeway on-ramp has to be the scariest thing for me. Once it completes the turn, it will go full speed to 65mph, lol. Nice touch that it will change lanes into the freeway for me. I have NoA set to confirm lane changes.
  • Phantom slowdowns: lots of instances where the car will let off the throttle or quickly pump the brakes for 1-2mph speed reduction. It’s weird. But, it seems to be consistently done in the same locations so I can cancel out the worst offenders by manually pressing on the accelerator.
  • Random lane changes: yea this one is weird. Car will change lanes into non optimal lane a mile before but also initiate the lane change in the intersection sometimes.
  • Half my disengagements are from me not wanting to piss the car behind me off: slowdown at wrong time, hesitating at a turn, etc.
  • I’m starting to find the usefulness of fsd on the streets by knowing it’s limitations. Much like AP on the freeways, it has its flaws and i will take control when I need to. In fsd city streets case, it might be when it’s about to take a turn. It’ll get me 90% of the way there. The added abilities to route around cars, react to other cars, better stoplight detection, make driving on main roads pretty useful (roads with speeds >35mph) until it gets to a turn (then I may take over depending on traffic density)
Similar experience for me. I've gotten to the point where I can kind of tell where it will struggle and if there is traffic around me, just take manual control. Its still super nice to have the stoplight control and much better lane following on surface streets. FSD has a long way to go but its making progress.

Day 3 observations:

I am mostly driving around the Burbank-San Gabriel area. I would not be so confident in downtown LA or Hollywood/weHo with fsd.
  • Turning jerkiness: haven’t experienced a smooth turn yet. There is always at least 1 adjustments while mid turn. Even starting the turn has some hesitation or adjustment that throws off the smooth senses. Definitely an aggressive turner.
  • Turning onto a freeway on-ramp has to be the scariest thing for me. Once it completes the turn, it will go full speed to 65mph, lol. Nice touch that it will change lanes into the freeway for me. I have NoA set to confirm lane changes.
  • Phantom slowdowns: lots of instances where the car will let off the throttle or quickly pump the brakes for 1-2mph speed reduction. It’s weird. But, it seems to be consistently done in the same locations so I can cancel out the worst offenders by manually pressing on the accelerator.
  • Random lane changes: yea this one is weird. Car will change lanes into non optimal lane a mile before but also initiate the lane change in the intersection sometimes.
  • Half my disengagements are from me not wanting to piss the car behind me off: slowdown at wrong time, hesitating at a turn, etc.
  • I’m starting to find the usefulness of fsd on the streets by knowing it’s limitations. Much like AP on the freeways, it has its flaws and i will take control when I need to. In fsd city streets case, it might be when it’s about to take a turn. It’ll get me 90% of the way there. The added abilities to route around cars, react to other cars, better stoplight detection, make driving on main roads pretty useful (roads with speeds >35mph) until it gets to a turn (then I may take over depending on traffic density)
You're having almost the same experience as me.

I have experienced some smooth turns though.

The weird random mini phantom braking events are the most annoying to me and probably the car behind me.

The car had a seizure when I enabled FSD at a stop sign when it had to turn. It was terrible. It was turning left and right with major shaking of the steering wheel.

I'm sending lots of snapshots so hopefully it gets resolved eventually.

I'm disengaging often when a car behind me gets close for the same reason as you.

I also find it useful in streets when going straight. No confirming at green lights with no lead car is nice.

IMG_3368.JPG

Finally! Had score of 100 days ago but never got the update. Then I screwed up and lost my score - dropped to 98. OptOut/In to reset and went back to 100. Still no love from Tesla and lost my score AGAIN after a couple days. OptedOut/In again yesterday and drove 108 miles. This update notice cam in this morning around 6AM EDT.

View attachment 726259

Finally! Had score of 100 days ago but never got the update. Then I screwed up and lost my score - dropped to 98. OptOut/In to reset and went back to 100. Still no love from Tesla and lost my score AGAIN after a couple days. OptedOut/In again yesterday and drove 108 miles. This update notice cam in this morning around 6AM EDT.

I thought 2021.36.5.1 wasn't FSD beta....

I thought 2021.36.5.1 wasn't FSD beta....
You're right. It's not. I just assumed it was since I have a 100 score and when I saw the download was available I figured it HAD to be the FSD Beta. Why would they update my old stuff if I'm eligible for the FSD Beta? If they were sending me an update, why not to the beta???

You're having almost the same experience as me.

I have experienced some smooth turns though.

The weird random mini phantom braking events are the most annoying to me and probably the car behind me.

The car had a seizure when I enabled FSD at a stop sign when it had to turn. It was terrible. It was turning left and right with major shaking of the steering wheel.

I'm sending lots of snapshots so hopefully it gets resolved eventually.

I'm disengaging often when a car behind me gets close for the same reason as you.

I also find it useful in streets when going straight. No confirming at green lights with no lead car is nice.
@GargantulaKon While I haven't yet driven 10.3.1, my Plaid had similar seizures when running 10.2 - yoke was thrashing all around, so much so, it raised my concern for abnormal wear and tear due to FSD usage. Now waiting for v11 release.

@EVNow yes.. they are simple rotaries, no multi lane with exits - @jabloomf1230 not like that one. As the roads around here were all built in last 20 years and therefore much more logical and well marked with lane markings. As a former resident of MA… I can only say Godspeed to beta drivers out there !!
As a lifelong Mass resident I appreciate your support.
Our roads developed from centuries of cow paths and horse and buggy trails makes the "D" in FSD stand for disengagement.

@EVNow yes.. they are simple rotaries, no multi lane with exits
Every roundabout I've seen the car stops at the entrance, takes time to figure out what to do and then slowly moves. The stops can be a few seconds long and when the round-about is empty and cars behind us - will feel forever.

Are you saying when the round about is empty, you see the car seamlessly go around the round-abut without first stopping at the entrance for a while ?

Reactions: impastu
Every roundabout I've seen the car stops at the entrance, takes time to figure out what to do and then slowly moves. The stops can be a few seconds long and when the round-about is empty and cars behind us - will feel forever.

Are you saying when the round about is empty, you see the car seamlessly go around the round-abut without first stopping at the entrance for a while ?
@EVNow Not here. I successfully made it through a roundabout in Covington, WA several times (v10.2) - day and night. While the transition was anything but smooth, it didn't stop first, before entering. It just yielded.

It seems to handle this one just fine, and it isn't even mapped as it is new construction:

@EVNow Not here. I successfully made it through a roundabout in Covington, WA several times (v10.2) - day and night. While the transition was anything but smooth, it didn't stop first, before entering. It just yielded.
When you say yielded - it waited for others cars ? That would be fine ... but from what I've seen, it will severely slow down (if not stop) and hesitate to go even when the roundabout is empty.

It seems to handle this one just fine, and it isn't even mapped as it is new construction:

I've to see more of those closely (also record my drives to compare).

Reactions: impastu