Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
L3 seems so easy. Just following another car under a certain speed on limited access freeway. Could Elon enable this when ever he feels like it? Is pothole detection needed? Just assume the other car doesn't fall in the hole? Does seem like a little more robustness would help. Will FSD know if a truck and or trailer has a long pole sticking out long ways from behind?
pot hole / speed bump detection seems like such low hanging fruit given the suspension sensors already tracking the travel of each wheel independently.

Reactions: planetary
I was able to swipe down for home/work the same as before...
I reset the display and recycled power and the swipe down worked fine. I usually do this after an upgrade so me bad.
Did a 150 mile highway drive today. FSD was not operable for about half of the drive with a message related to weather. Not a heavy rain and the wipers never went full speed so was certainly disappointed. FSD worked the whole drive going home in a light rain and was excellent. Super smooth and handled mergers coming in from the right really well. Probably the best highway drive I've had but since it wasn't heavy traffic don't want to get carried away.

Had short FSD drives to and from the highway and they went pretty well. My wife actually asked me if I was driving or was the car driving which is a first. The drives were pretty simple but still a very positive sign. Only negative was it missed a speed bump that is highly visible and clearly marked. Has never recognized the speed bump which I don't understand.

Last edited:
I reset the display and recycled power and the swipe down worked fine. I usually do this after an upgrade so me bad.
Did a 150 mile highway drive today. FSD was not operable for about half of the drive with a message related to weather. Not a heavy rain and the wipers never went full speed so was certainly disappointed. FSD worked the whole drive going home in a light rain and was excellent. Super smooth and handled mergers coming in from the right really well. Probably the best highway drive I've had but since it wasn't heavy traffic don't want to get carried away.

Had short FSD drives to and from the highway and they went pretty well. My wife actually asked me if I was driving or was the car driving which is a first. The drives were pretty simple but still a very positive sign. Only negative was it missed a speed bump that is highly visible and clearly marked. Has never recognized the speed bump which I don't understand.
just a question for clarification - on the highway was the car in FSD or AP?
I wasn't sure if it just based it on speed limit or treated highways differently?

No difference between the levels? What a joke. Level 2 honda can't even take moderate turns on the freeway.
The problem with L2 anything is they're all driver assist so manufactures or regulators (especially in Europe) will limit what they can do.

The biggest thing Tesla brought to the table wasn't having a very robust system, but in pushing other manufactures to offer more.

If it wasn't for Tesla we'd still be stuck in the "but, it can't take moderate turns" L2.

Both on the initial drive to my destination. FSD would kick in and out. On the way home FSD only.
it seems that the cutoff has been 65mph. Above that its the AP stack, below it is the FSD stack. Although I've noticed that going from FSD->AP is always 65, sometimes the AP->FSD as been 60.
I was just curious if it also used the highway designation to use AP. Its difficult to tell here because I don't have a highway with a <65 limit
Actually just typing that now made me realize I'm conflating highway and interstate :D

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
In California only L4 and L5 vehicles are allowed to operate without a driver on public roads.
That seems like it’s worth something.
Ofcourse it is “worth” something because business people created it - as Hotz says.

In engineering terms there are no levels. It’s just about errors per million miles.

The standard I’d like to see would have well defined ODD and error rates.

Tried 10.8 this morning, I was on the 10.5 before. Dry roads daylight no sun. Acceleration on chill. FSD, average. Use a 4 mile course (same one I used before) on back roads little or no traffic. Similar problems as before but less pronounced. Crossing yellow center line when making right turns (no oncoming traffic) moving slightly left to make right turn and crossing yellow line when finishing turn (no traffic in intersection). The speed control is better entering and leaving the turn, on right hand curves still crossing the center line with no oncoming traffic. Not as much jerking in the steering as with 10.5. I cannot define or clearly state why or what made me feel more confident in the driving that I witnessed, it could be I am more accustomed to the moves the care makes or it could be the car is driving better, I really don't know (as I drive and use it more maybe it will become clearer). I agree with what others have stated about the display, blue/gray steering wheel needs to be larger and should be collocated with TACC. All warnings should be symbols and in a common location (upper left of screen) along with warning noise to alert you to check. The shifter position indicator (RPND) has changed from (RNPND) does not reflect accurately the neutral positon between R and P I don't know why they changed that. The fact that the D is blue as is the Wheel symbol when engaged could cause confusion. I liked the the light show a lot as did the grandkids.
What is the blue Grey indicator for on fsd and noa?

I'd like them to move the steering wheel back next to the TACC speed setting ("Max") - then it can be as large as before / a little bigger.

View attachment 748153
Tesla needs to come up with a better way to indicate FSD vs TACC etc.

1640396581557.png

For one thing, the current ideas are not accessible to color blind. There are a lot more color blind people than we realize. They should change the icon instead of just the color. And ofcourse make it at least as big as the speed.

Another idea is to let us tap the FSD blue wheel to report problems.

What is the blue Grey indicator for on fsd and noa?
What I was referring to was the steering wheel symbol. When it is present and gray it means that steering is available on AP, either FSD or NoA and when blue, is engaged in either AP mode. The problem I see, I wear trifocals, is that when making a quick glance at the upper left of the UI and maybe looking through the wrong lens you could just see blue and mistake the blue D for the blue steering wheel because of the similarity in size and color.

Tesla needs to come up with a better way to indicate FSD vs TACC etc.

View attachment 748534

For one thing, the current ideas are not accessible to color blind. There are a lot more color blind people than we realize. They should change the icon instead of just the color. And ofcourse make it at least as big as the speed.

Another idea is to let us tap the FSD blue wheel to report problems.
Agree and seems strange that after the curfuffle in China and the rumbling complaints in US that Tesla would make it MORE obvious instead of making the Wheel icon smaller. Seems a good way would be to make a Larger Wheel (as it was) and next to it have something like AP On, FSD Beta On, TACC On and Manual next to it. Could be placed in the open area between the signal lights (or some type of rearrangement).

Here is a problem I'm still having (was hoping 10.8 would correct). It always goes into the right lane (which is fine). However it 100% of the time turns the left signal on and start changing lanes in the middle of the intersection. If I don't disengage it aims straight for the island after dangerously changing lanes. While changing lanes in the burbs on wide and open roads through intersections is debatable it should NEVER do this in the city. It is redecules that Tesla allows this unsafe behavior.

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 1.51.08 PM.png

Agree and seems strange that after the curfuffle in China and the rumbling complaints in US that Tesla would make it MORE obvious instead of making the Wheel icon smaller. Seems a good way would be to make a Larger Wheel (as it was) and next to it have something like AP On, FSD Beta On, TACC On and Manual next to it. Could be placed in the open area between the signal lights (or some type of rearrangement).
I agree with a larger wheel symbol but would suggest not using to many words, use more symbols or abbreviations with a line through the abbreviation to signify not in use. AP, AP : FSD, FSD : TACC, TACC

Reactions: JulienW
Atleast, I'd do something like this ... FIrst one for when FSD available, and second when FSD is on. Different icons in the same place - as big as the speed. Afterall when FSD is on or not is atleast as important as the speed.

1640396581557.png
1640396581557-2.png

ps : Icons with different colors (or shades for the color blind) is ok in mobile / desktop UI. Car needs a different kind of UI because you need to be figure out things in sub-second.

Anyone else see this behavior? Have noticed that when not on AP or FSD the ‘Lane Departure Avoidance’ does not see to work anymore (Assume since I got FSD Beta). If I let the car drift it use to correct and chime. Now it does neither.
Did you check to be sure it wasn't changed in the v11 update. I always go through and check my settings on a new update and v11 is a biggie.

Reactions: Oil Freedom