Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting to make a right turn, it drives off the road and waits half in the shoulder. Then corrects once the other car moves. Junk.
Never seen that ...

BUT, I've seen a ton of people do that. Sometimes because they are distracted and at other times to be able to see in front of that truck. Just the other day a guy in front of me drove almost a full block like that ...

ps : FSD now goes into the shoulder while turning. A definite change from 69.x

Never seen that ...

BUT, I've seen a ton of people do that. Sometimes because they are distracted and at other times to be able to see in front of that truck. Just the other day a guy in front of me drove almost a full block like that ...

ps : FSD now goes into the shoulder while turning. A definite change from 69.x

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Failed worse than ever in two different roundabouts.
Yeah. On 11.3.3, I was approaching a roundabout, and was interested to see how well it handled it. Well, not well. Approaching the roundabout there is a "suicide lane" for bidirectional left turns in the straight road south of the roundabout. The suicide lane does not itself participate in the roundabout in any way. But just short of entering the roundabout, the car signaled and moved left into the suicide lane. I yanked it back where it belonged and proceeded manually. I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd let it go.

The nav knew it was a roundabout, and the blue planned path showed it as such. The planned turn was a 270-degree one, that is, a net left turn. So maybe somewhere in the car's tiny silicon brain it said to itself, "hey, we're turning left. I'll scoot into the suicide lane." Or maybe it's just goofy.

24 mile Sunday drive - Highway, residential and rural roads

Conditions:
Dry and mostly cloudy

It did just okay, overall. Some issues include:

1. Entering the highway, it shot all the way over to the left passing lane, cutting in front of a car that was clearly moving much faster than mine. Really pissed that other driver off. I waved when he flipped me a middle finger.
2. Still tried to “dive” into the shoulder at that same spot as yesterday (see prior posts), even when no lead car was in front.
3. Very heavy/jerky braking and wheel spasms at numerous turns/intersections
4. Missed its turn at a 4 way stop. Just sat there until all cars were done.

Positives:

1. Cruising on the highway (with minimal lane changes toggled on) was good.
2. Handled a construction and demilitarized zone well. Even went around a downed Hazard barrel and navigated around many that were in a new, “under construction” roundabout. Why it can’t handle old and existing ones remains a mystery.
3. I arrived home in one piece… this time…

Last edited:
Just the one attempt? If duplicatable, I'd love to see that video. It should not move immediately to the left, NOR cutoff an approaching car. Two component fail?
Not sure. Was heading down the on ramp and it didn’t signal, so I did. 1000’ later it enters the right lane at the very end of the ramp and then continues another lane to the left (passing lane).

• Informative
Not sure. Was heading down the on ramp and it didn’t signal, so I did. 1000’ later it enters the right lane at the very end of the ramp and then continues another lane to the left (passing lane).
You sure FSD didn't disengage, either silently or due to some wheel torque that was missed due to the more complex traffic scenario? Sounds like what might have happened due to 1) not signaling, 2) multiple lane changes, and 3) cutting off an approaching car.

You sure FSD didn't disengage, either silently or due to some wheel torque that was missed due to the more complex traffic scenario? Sounds like what might have happened due to 1) not signaling, 2) multiple lane changes, and 3) cutting off an approaching car.
Not sure. I was focused on cutting off the other car, rather than documenting the occurrence. If I were to guess, I was nearly a 1000’ before entering the highway when I helped it signal. It might have stored and later executed a lane change after entering the highway, rather than using that stored signal to so intentions of entering the highway. Will try to replicate next time I’m heading that way.

24 mile Sunday drive - Highway, residential and rural roads

Conditions:
Dry and mostly cloudy

It did just okay, overall. Some issues include:

1. Entering the highway, it shot all the way over to the left passing lane, cutting in front of a car that was clearly moving much faster than mine. Really pissed that other driver off. I waved when he flipped me a middle finger.
2. Still tried to “dive” into the shoulder at that same spot as yesterday (see prior posts), even when no lead car was in front.
3. Very heavy/jerky braking and wheel spasms at numerous turns/intersections
4. Missed its turn at a 4 way stop. Just sat there until all cars were done.

Positives:

1. Cruising on the highway (with minimal lane changes toggled on) was good.
2. Handled a construction and demilitarized zone well. Even went around a downed Hazard barrel and navigated around many that were in a new, “under construction” roundabout. Why it can’t handle old and existing ones remains a mystery.
3. I arrived home in one piece… this time…
Suggestion:

When posting your FSDb drive observations, share your FSDb profile setting. That might explain a lot, like hesitation when turning, etc., more so than an inherent issue. Mine is set to “Average” and I usually flip the “minimal lane changes” toggle on as well.

Suggestion:

When posting your FSDb drive observations, share your FSDb profile setting. That might explain a lot, like hesitation when turning, etc., more so than an inherent issue. Mine is set to “Average” and I usually flip the “minimal lane changes” toggle on as well.
Good idea. Let's all do that. I was always on chill for 17 months and changed to assertive a month ago. I like assertive much better

If that was your last post, we know how it turned out for you. RIP 🙏!
3ABADD47-34C9-4C81-BAB1-156AA29DFAE7.gif

• Funny
Not sure. I was focused on cutting off the other car, rather than documenting the occurrence. If I were to guess, I was nearly a 1000’ before entering the highway when I helped it signal. It might have stored and later executed a lane change after entering the highway, rather than using that stored signal to so intentions of entering the highway. Will try to replicate next time I’m heading that way.
This is perhaps the result of a design that uses the same input (driver selects turn signal) for two possible commands (either turn on the turn signals, or command a lane change). If autopilot (or FSD) is engaged, there is no way to "help" the system by compensating for its non-use of turn signals without also commanding a lane change.

The situation would be improved somewhat if Tesla would have FSD use turn signals earlier, so there was no need for the driver to compensate by commanding the turn signal. As it is now, it often selects the turn signal much later than I consider appropriate to alert other drivers of the intentions.

On Model 3/Y or Model S/X prior to the latest refresh, the turn signal stalk has two levels. Push a bit to hit a soft stop, or push harder and further to go all the way to the hard stop. Tesla could change the design such that if Autopilot / FSD is engaged, moving the turn signal to the soft stop would command turn signals, but would not command Autopilot / FSD to do a lane change. Pushing the turn signal stalk all the way to the hard stop would trigger turn signals AND command a lane change.

For the new Model S/X without turn signal stalks - use the duration of the press on the turn signal button as the discriminator. A short press triggers turn signal but would not command Autopilot / FSD to do a lane change. A long press would trigger turn signals AND command a lane change.

2nd Drive of the day (Wife sends stooge to store for dinner bread)...

Profile: Aggressive

Same six mile R/T drive as yesterday. Several disengagements, but will only share the oddest. Car pulls into double left turn lane with turn light red. No cars in front of me as I approach the red turn light. 100' prior the car slams on the brakes, thinks, then proceeds to move up to the stop line by light (see photo of intersection).

So, I'm done (again). FSDb is unusable (outside of party tricks and showing off) for "city street" driving ("junk"). Reserve FSDb use for those occasions when on highways or long-run rolling rural roads.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 at 4.27.21 PM.png

Last edited:
Got 11.3.4 last night and tried it today. Not impressed. Making all the same mistakes as 96.x plus some old mistakes. Turning out of driveway with the route requiring a left turn the car goes right, at the odd angled turn at the end of my street it still tries to pull out in front of traffic. Most disturbing the swinging right to make a left turn is much worse that before, to a point where it is dangerous to and cars to my right. The deceleration is much improves at speed limit changes. I did not try it on the interstate highway today, maybe tomorrow.
The gains that have been made in v11 do not make up for the improvements that were lost in 69.x