Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's a wise choice - you've had too many poor experiences with FSD Beta to continue using it. I used to chastise people for requesting access to the Beta and then not using it, as they were wasting valuable telemetry and potentially taking a spot from someone else, but now since it's available for all who purchased/subscribed to it now (with the correct hardware), you can wait and test each update as they're released and see if there's improvement.

I know you're frustrated, but please understand that there are many people who have excellent experiences with FSD Beta. Your blanket statement that you would endorse a recall of FSD Beta (removing it from everyone's car) would impact lots of people who enjoy using Beta. You'd feel vindicated, but others would feel angry/depressed/resentful at losing something they liked. Try to look at the whole picture, and a balanced approach.

Endorsing a recall would not be for vindication purposes, but rather for the safety of our children (as stated previously). Point me to one example, in any area of the country, where FSDb recognized, properly, loading/unloading school buses or the associated 20 MPH school speed zones. Money says you can't produce any. Bring on the recall, for safety's sake. Sorry if that removes some "entertainment" for others, but Safety first, right?

Last edited:
Went out for another drive yesterday and the car completely came to a stop on side street with center marking because it thought there wasn’t enough room while a car came toward me. Flat-out hard brake to a stop. I can repeat this all day long on any road which is relatively narrow but still with plenty of space for a below average driver to navigate without a full-on stop (several feet on either side).

So embarrassing.

3. Onramp/offramp speeds for highways seem to have new issues that make it unacceptable in traffic. Common scenarios here have e.g. a feeder road at say 45mph with ramps to a freeway at say 75mph. When onramping, it seems to hang onto the feeder speed setting until the very end of the ramp, then suddenly switch to highway limit just as it's merging. This is very abnormal and traffic-disrupting here, as everyone expects that we all start accelerating at the start of the onramp. Similarly, with some off-ramps, I've seen it start slowing down what seems like maybe up to 1/8 mile /before/ entering the offramp, whereas normal human behavior here is to maintain highway speed till your car is out of the highway lane, then begin slowing (I think I saw this latter problem a little bit on 10.69 as well, but it seems more-pronounced now). I imagine this is all somehow inter-related with the NHSTA fixes for limit-change reactions, etc.
I was getting this in 10.69 and prior on ramps that it treated as local streets (vs switching to the legacy NOAP stack), it's probably only more prevalent now that the FSDB stack is used everywhere. In either case, I'd guess this is more "bad map data" than "not honoring local customs" as the on-ramp is arguably for getting up to speed and FSDB arguably should switch to a speed limit matching the road it merges into like it does when you change roads at any other intersection with good map data (which seems to be pretty sparse in my experience).

Went out for another drive yesterday and the car completely came to a stop on side street with center marking because it thought there wasn’t enough room while a car came toward me. Flat-out hard brake to a stop. I can repeat this all day long on any road which is relatively narrow but still with plenty of space for a below average driver to navigate without a full-on stop (several feet on either side).

So embarrassing.
Consider wearing a "harlequin mask" before heading out.... 🤣

I guess @Ramphex is on holiday today...

Endorsing a recall would not be for vindication purposes, but rather for the safety of our children (as stated previously). Point me to one example, in any area of the county, where FSDb recognized, properly, loading/unloading school buses or the associated 20 MPH school speed zones. Money says you can't produce any. Bring on the recall, for safety's sake. Sorry if that removes some "entertainment" for others, but Safety first, right?
It doesn't recognize school zones yet. But most Beta people understand that and disengage while in school zone areas, driving manually until they're through the zone - then re-engage. Remember it's an L2 assist feature. It's currently designed for boring drives, and should be disengaged in many scenarios, like school zones, construction zones, police traffic control, etc.

I get your frustration, and can tell it's an important issue for you by your use of an appeal to emotion tactic, using "safety of our children". What monster wouldn't want to keep children safe? To date, as far as I can find researching it, FSD Beta has never struck a child. This may be because drivers are disengaging around school busses, zones, and parks where children are present.

For your own edification, there is a site that keeps track of deaths in Tesla accidents, and validates which ones were claimed to be on AP (including FSD Beta), and which ones were confirmed to be on AP/FSD. As a quick summary, since 2013, there have been 16 confirmed deaths on AP, out of 33 claimed.

I know none of this will sway your opinion, but I want to provide a balanced approach, and show the sky is not actually falling.

It doesn't recognize school zones yet. But most Beta people understand that and disengage while in school zone areas, driving manually until they're through the zone - then re-engage. Remember it's an L2 assist feature. It's currently designed for boring drives, and should be disengaged in many scenarios, like school zones, construction zones, police traffic control, etc.

I get your frustration, and can tell it's an important issue for you by your use of an appeal to emotion tactic, using "safety of our children". What monster wouldn't want to keep children safe? To date, as far as I can find researching it, FSD Beta has never struck a child. This may be because drivers are disengaging around school busses, zones, and parks where children are present.

For your own edification, there is a site that keeps track of deaths in Tesla accidents, and validates which ones were claimed to be on AP (including FSD Beta), and which ones were confirmed to be on AP/FSD. As a quick summary, since 2013, there have been 16 confirmed deaths on AP, out of 33 claimed.

I know none of this will sway your opinion, but I want to provide a balanced approach, and show the sky is not actually falling.
I would click the "Disagree" emoji if it were not punitive as it is here on TMC.

• Love
Reactions: FSDtester#1
🛑 April 3rd redo - 12 mile round trip to CU, same intersection as yesterday 🛑

Conditions:
Wet roads and over cast. Speed limit ranging from 20mph (School zone) to 45mph

FSDb Profile: Aggressive

Decided to head out during school bus hour; just to add stress to my day.... First and foremost - FSDb DOES NOT recognize flashing school zone 20 MPH speed limit signs, warnings or other. If you are not paying attention, you could easily fly through these zones at the non school time speeds listed for these roads - and, subject yourself to some steep fines 'ta boot. Similarly, children getting on and off of school buses remains unsafe - no recognition (by FSDb) of the school bus, flashing red lights and swing out school bus stop 🛑 signs. COMPLETE Trash. Personally, I would endorse the government recalling this "junk" sooner than later (save for the highway part).

Next, same behavior at this intersection as yesterday (replied to message above), but I was ready for it.... What I was not ready for was what happened shortly after completing the left turn... FSDb decided it didn't like the traffic in front of me (while moving at about 10mph) and jerked the wheel (Yoke) from my loose grip and jumped across the double yellow line into oncoming traffic lane. Good thing I was paying attention. Oh, and of course, the disengagement voice recording message didn't pop up this time. I forced one a few feet later by reengaging FSDb and then slamming on the brakes. Left them a choice message, I did.

I'm no longer going to use this version of FSDb - too unsafe to use in my area. No joke or exaggeration. Be safe out there, all!

Yep, I wish the car would actually start READING certain signs. For now it seems like it is just using map data, and school zone speed limit/time data is not really part of the map data, at least not in my area.

As for your double yellow excursion...do you recall any alarms/alerts when it did that? I think that if there is an alert mode at the time of disengagement the popup won't come up. I base this theory on my own experience the other day.

I completely support people not using a specific FSDb version after they have tried it and found it unsafe for their specific scenario.

Reactions: jebinc
Endorsing a recall would not be for vindication purposes, but rather for the safety of our children (as stated previously). Point me to one example, in any area of the country, where FSDb recognized, properly, loading/unloading school buses or the associated 20 MPH school speed zones. Money says you can't produce any. Bring on the recall, for safety's sake. Sorry if that removes some "entertainment" for others, but Safety first, right?
It responding to those things isn't a stated feature. So you would be recalling it for something that it isn't currently supposed to do.

Or are you going down the road that Tesla shouldn't be allowed to install FSD Beta on customer vehicles until it is perfect and can handle all "safety" related situations?

Yep, I wish the car would actually start READING certain signs. For now it seems like it is just using map data, and school zone speed limit/time data is not really part of the map data, at least not in my area.

As for your double yellow excursion...do you recall any alarms/alerts when it did that? I think that if there is an alert mode at the time of disengagement the popup won't come up. I base this theory on my own experience the other day.

I completely support people not using a specific FSDb version after they have tried it and found it unsafe for their specific scenario.
No alerts, just following slow moving traffic - maybe it thought there was a passing lane to get around it (when there wasn't)? No idea - I was focused on not getting in an accident. Once crossed over, it recognized it F'd up and stopped abruptly.

• Informative
It responding to those things isn't a stated feature. So you would be recalling it for something that it isn't currently supposed to do.

Or are you going down the road that Tesla shouldn't be allowed to install FSD Beta on customer vehicles until it is perfect and can handle all "safety" related situations?
Riddle me this then - why was a recall issued for other safety issues, like running red lights and stop signs? Because they are known to be illegal - same with the school bus and school speed zones.....

• Informative
Riddle me this then - why was a recall issued for other safety issues, like running red lights and stop signs?
Because it responding to red lights and stop signs is a stated feature? (And is even on non-FSD Beta vehicles.) Even auto-response to speed limit changes is a stated feature.

Are you sure? I've been here a long time and don't recall that change.
Yes, I am sure.

• Informative
Obeying the posted speed limit is also a stated feature and was one of the items previously recalled (i.e., slowing down when speed limit drops, etc.). You're really grasping for straws now...
My understanding is that the speed limit issue was resolved by removing the speed offset option, and reacting to speed changes more assertively. Previously when there was a speed limit drop, the car would coast and slow down very slowly, and now the deceleration curve is higher. The car also seems to react to speed limit signs when visualized instead of making the change at the sign itself. So if the speed limit is lower, the car will detect that and start slowing before the sign is reached.

• Informative
Obeying the posted speed limit is also a stated feature and was one of the items previously recalled (i.e., slowing down when speed limit drops, etc.). You're really grasping for straws now...
Was it? I don't recall that. But are you saying that once something has been recalled, and fixed, that it can't ever be broken again?

I do recall the stop sign response was in a previous recall, and it was recalled again because NHTSA didn't like Tesla's fix.

• Informative