Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a stop, I guess ?

I've had some right turns - not from a stop - that would be indistinguishable from human turns.
No sorry the light was green. I should have said a traffic light and NOT red light. I was slowing to turn right in the right lane and the BMW was coming up in the left lane and going straight through the light and pass me. Right as I get to the turn FSD Beta swings the front end to the left to make a right turn like II was pulling a 20' trailer (does this all the time) and hindered the left lane that the BMW was about to pass me in.

I've watched a few YouTube videos where FSD Beta will attempt to go down the actual tracks, believing the tracks to be the road!

I'm sure you already are, but just in case... hit that report button whenever you find FSD acting inappropriately with train tracks. ;)
Yeah, I'm surprised it's so bad on that street, considering the dozens of Teslas that must drive down it daily including Tesla employees (I've seen several manufacturer-plated Teslas in the area) lol

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
Right as I get to the turn FSD Beta swings the front end to the left to make a right turn like II was pulling a 20' trailer (does this all the time) and hindered the left lane that the BMW was about to pass me in.
If you have a recording you can check - my guess is it "detected" some protrusion at the right corner curb and tried to avoid hitting the curb.

Reactions: impastu
If you have a recording you can check - my guess is it "detected" some protrusion at the right corner curb and tried to avoid hitting the curb.
No this is a behavior LOTS of people are complaining about that is in 10.4. It is speculated that it was added because of a curbed wheels. However it is still VERY unnatural and not good on narrow multi-lane roads. I have been honked at 3 times now for this behavior. Once when it did it to a large truck on a tight road.

Later driving some on Georgia Tech camps came out on 10th Street and the was making a right. BMW coming up in left lane and Tesla whips into the left lane to turn right forcing/startling the BMW to brake and honk. This swing left to turn right is UNACCEPTABLE on tight city streets.
Oh yeah, mine does this 100% of the time making a right turn onto my street. Doubly bad when it's coming from an unmarked road so it's already driving too close to the middle, and then swings even wider to the left to make the right turn

Oh yeah, mine does this 100% of the time making a right turn onto my street. Doubly bad when it's coming from an unmarked road so it's already driving too close to the middle, and then swings even wider to the left to make the right turn
What I find unacceptable is on a right hand turn where the car approaches a T intersection and is perpendicular to the road your coming to. When it makes a right hand turn it scares oncoming cars (and me) who believe the car will cross over the center yellow line into the lane they are driving on. This is especially dangerous when FSD needs to creep making it almost impossible to turn 90 degrees without crossing the center yellow line. I don't know any driver who doesn't approach the T intersection with the car pointed in the direction of the right hand turn. (Note: I'm referring to fairly narrow roads)

No this is a behavior LOTS of people are complaining about that is in 10.4. It is speculated that it was added because of a curbed wheels. However it is still VERY unnatural and not good on narrow multi-lane roads. I have been honked at 3 times now for this behavior. Once when it did it to a large truck on a tight road.

yeah the proper fix would be to go forward a bit more before making the right turn. For regular cars, you never have to turn away for a turn. Humans do it all the time here, and I've seen people cross the double yellow into my lane for a right turn. I will lean on the horn when I see that.

yeah the proper fix would be to go forward a bit more before making the right turn. For regular cars, you never have to turn away for a turn. Humans do it all the time here, and I've seen people cross the double yellow into my lane for a right turn. I will lean on the horn when I see that.
People cross yellow line on turns all the time - but only when there is no car there !

What makes this all the more difficult is that FSD will jerk the wheel a few times before moving.

Reactions: impastu and Nakk
Did a drive early this morning (LOW traffic) through midtown/downtown with mixed results. First leg was with 0 disengagement or mistakes. Next leg it blew by the right turn with blinker on. Rerouted and blew by the second right with blinker on. Rerouted again for a right on 14th Street (busy divided multilane) and was in far right lane then cut on the left blinker and starting turning wheel. Immediately disengaged. Navigation correctly display a right turn.

Later driving some on Georgia Tech camps came out on 10th Street and the was making a right. BMW coming up in left lane and Tesla whips into the left lane to turn right forcing/startling the BMW to brake and honk. This swing left to turn right is UNACCEPTABLE on tight city streets.
The moving left to make a right turn is the same behavior I've seen. I just got the FSD so I don't know if this is something new or it has been a problem in previous FSD's. It is absolutely the wrong thing to do in any situation but especially in close traffic situations.

The moving left to make a right turn is the same behavior I've seen. I just got the FSD so I don't know if this is something new or it has been a problem in previous FSD's. It is absolutely the wrong thing to do in any situation but especially in close traffic situations.
Does no one have video of this? You guys know how to capture dashcam footage, right? Sitting here with my mis-timed 99 (got it hours after they started pushing 2021.36.5 to the second batch, recovered it just an hour before they started the third) desperately wanting to try stuff like this...

Third day has good weather and dry roads. Came to a T intersection with traffic light red. no traffic coming from left (I was making a right turn) car stopped behind car in front, car in front made right turn my car pulled forward and stopped, no traffic from left car began a gentle right turn, one third of the way into the turn it accelerated rapidly and unexpectedly ( no traffic from the left). Disconnected with steering wheel to insure I maintained proper lane then reconnected when straight and in lane. I don't know if the car would have veered into the left lane because of the rapid acceleration, I disconnected only because I was surprised by the suddenness of the maneuver.

Third day has good weather and dry roads. Came to a T intersection with traffic light red. no traffic coming from left (I was making a right turn) car stopped behind car in front, car in front made right turn my car pulled forward and stopped, no traffic from left car began a gentle right turn, one third of the way into the turn it accelerated rapidly and unexpectedly ( no traffic from the left). Disconnected with steering wheel to insure I maintained proper lane then reconnected when straight and in lane. I don't know if the car would have veered into the left lane because of the rapid acceleration, I disconnected only because I was surprised by the suddenness of the maneuver.
This is fairly normal behavior and definitely takes some time to get used to. Hopefully this will improve with new releases. The suddeness of some turns and rapid acceleration is a bit disconnecting though.

Best morning drive to drop kids at school I've had in a month since we started Beta testing.

No disengagements /interventions except for a flagger near the school and one roundabout that is not in the map yet.

One of the left turns was a bit challenging because there was a truck parked on the left side of the T-junction partially blocking the view.

More random twitches to one side or the other this morning. Also to add to the unpredictability, they really need to do a better job of communicating the car's intent to the user. Most of the time it will stop very far from the crosswalk if there is anyone crossing, but this morning it was creeping up all the way to the crosswalk while people were actively walking (though still on the left side of the road). I ended up disengaging with the brake pedal because its behavior starting to worry the pedestrians

I had a 99.34 safety score for the first 110 miles. Then i went birding in eastern Oregon frequently off main roads with all kinds of obstacles Which brought my score down to 96.97 at 996 miles. So im wondering if I can opt out of the beta program (I have a button for that) and then opt back in and start fresh. Has anyone done this?

I had a 99.34 safety score for the first 110 miles. Then i went birding in eastern Oregon frequently off main roads with all kinds of obstacles Which brought my score down to 96.97 at 996 miles. So im wondering if I can opt out of the beta program (I have a button for that) and then opt back in and start fresh. Has anyone done this?
I believe the safety score is now on a 30 day moving average so as older lower scores drop out, if they are replaced by a newer better score, your overall S/S will improve. I don't know about starting over, whether that is a better option or not. My under standing is that the scoring is also based on mileage. I myself am new to all of this and I am just repeating what I have read in this forum. If I have stated something incorrectly I'm sure someone will correct me.