Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still on 10.5 😒, but I took some time today to repeat a loop I've been testing. I finally figured out why FSD sometimes thinks the speed limit jumps from 35 to 50 on one of the roads. I don't know what this sign is, but I did report it so hopefully it gets resolved.
View attachment 744435
My first thought was it’s an antique 50mph sign!

My first thought was it’s an antique 50mph sign!
The recommendation to look at Google Street Maps was a winner. It appears to be a mile marker for State Route (SR) 2033 aka Terwood Road.
1639575410584.png

Weird. May be some calibration issue ?
Maybe, but I figure a lot of the ultimate target demographic won't be calibrating or even cleaning cameras unless they have to, so I try to collect "real world" data for Tesla by letting them be (except the backup camera, since I use it). On that note, maybe it was raining on the way home the night of the update. Fender cameras look fine when reversing, and the behaviors I'm talking about seem location specific, so it could also be some bad map revisions. Regardless, if it keeps up on the next version, I might try cleaning or maybe even calibrating the cameras.
I'd say if we don't get 10.6.1 by tomorrow morning, then we're never going to get it and will get 10.7 as the earliest next version.
Way to jinx everbody. I hear 10.7 was on track for internal testing tomorrow right up until you made this post.

Noticed this odd behavior this morning... seems like the "play" amount in the steering wheel is allowed to increase each time you move it back and forth without kicking you out of AP... by a LOT....

Lmao

Looks like the experience Dirty Tesla had recently when his FSD went bonkers next to a UPS truck. Funny here, could be really concerning if the stars aligned as a bad situation was playing out

Noticed this odd behavior this morning... seems like the "play" amount in the steering wheel is allowed to increase each time you move it back and forth without kicking you out of AP... by a LOT....

Wiggling back and forth is the wrong way to disengage. Either brake or make a forceful steering correction.

Infact wiggling won’t even get rid of the nag many times.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Wiggling back and forth is the wrong way to disengage. Either brake or make a forceful steering correction.

Wiggling back and forth sure, but he builds up to full-on wrenching the wheel left and right. I don't know how that not disengaging autopilot makes any sense. It's also not consistent, wiggling disengages but then wrenching doesn't.

What does the manual say?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: EVNow

I am increasing the turning amount more and more each time... to the point that the entire car is rocking back and forth... it has to be something with the amount of "play" Tesla is allowing before disengaging AP... it seems like its not a specific amount/degree of movement, but an increasing/expanding amount/degree, especially if you are going back and forth... just seems really odd they don't have a set limit on the amount of play allowed.

Wiggling back and forth sure, but he builds up to full-on wrenching the wheel left and right. I don't know how that not disengaging autopilot makes any sense. It's also not consistent, wiggling disengages but then wrenching doesn't.

What does the manual say?
Exactly... It's very inconsistent.. I have experienced both extremes... barely touching the wheel can disengage AP... but also wiggling back and forth won't get rid of a nag, and moving the wheel enough to disengage AP is the only way to stop the nag.

Yup. If FSDbeta caught you eyeballing the nav too long or playing with your phone then wiggling the steering wheel won't make the nag go away. You need to pay attention for a while.

I rest my left arm on the steering wheel so I don't get the nag, but FSDbeta will hit me with a warning when it catches me using the nav and not paying attention.

Exactly... It's very inconsistent.. I have experienced both extremes... barely touching the wheel can disengage AP... but also wiggling back and forth won't get rid of a nag, and moving the wheel enough to disengage AP is the only way to stop the nag.

• Informative
I am increasing the turning amount more and more each time... to the point that the entire car is rocking back and forth... it has to be something with the amount of "play" Tesla is allowing before disengaging AP... it seems like its not a specific amount/degree of movement, but an increasing/expanding amount/degree, especially if you are going back and forth... just seems really odd they don't have a set limit on the amount of play allowed.
Haven't had this issue - but then I don't wiggle at all. Does the wheel turn when you wiggle ? What happens if you just turn the wheel and hold ...?

When I drive with AP/FSD, I always have my foot lightly on the brake. So, I brake when I need to disengage. Ofcourse, I also have my hands on the wheel and sometime FSD disengages when I won't let it turn too much ...

Haven't had this issue - but then I don't wiggle at all. Does the wheel turn when you wiggle ? What happens if you just turn the wheel and hold ...?

When I drive with AP/FSD, I always have my foot lightly on the brake. So, I brake when I need to disengage. Ofcourse, I also have my hands on the wheel and sometime FSD disengages when I won't let it turn too much ...
99% of the time, putting slight pressure on the wheel in one way or another (or a slight wiggle back and forth that shows the wheel moving the display) is sufficient to satisfy the nag... and this nag occurs even though my hand is on the wheel and my attention is directly on the road. It seems to still wants this physical resistance every once in a while to make sure you are still awake/alive...

Again I believe the steering wheel threshold or limit that Tesla uses to both disengage AP and satisfy a nag, seems to be the main issue here.
In other cars I've own that are drive by wire, they alter the steering amount/ratio and sensitivity depending on your speed. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is doing the same thing, and assume they can do this for AP and nagging as well.

99% of the time, putting slight pressure on the wheel in one way or another (or a slight wiggle back and forth that shows the wheel moving the display) is sufficient to satisfy the nag... and this nag occurs even though my hand is on the wheel and my attention is directly on the road. It seems to still wants this physical resistance every once in a while to make sure you are still awake/alive...

Again I believe the steering wheel threshold or limit that Tesla uses to both disengage AP and satisfy a nag, seems to be the main issue here.
In other cars I've own that are drive by wire, they alter the steering amount/ratio and sensitivity depending on your speed. I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla is doing the same thing, and assume they can do this for AP and nagging as well.
Adjusting the controls in steering wheel or yolk also goes toward showing attentiveness.

Leaving my neighborhood there is a T intersection immediately after crossing a train track that has a Stop sign where I typically turn right. The Stop sign is perfectly visible and does appear on the display yet the car consistently blows right through it and executes the right turn without stopping first. It barely even slows down. Any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Reactions: impastu
Leaving my neighborhood there is a T intersection immediately after crossing a train track that has a Stop sign where I typically turn right. The Stop sign is perfectly visible and does appear on the display yet the car consistently blows right through it and executes the right turn without stopping first. It barely even slows down. Any ideas as to why this might be happening?
Not sure but my guess is the car is connecting the railroad crossing to the stop sign such as if there is a stop sign on the arms that come down at some rail crossings (usually lights not signs). I know it shows those lights as a green-yellow-red light even though there is only red available (usually shows up blank).

I’ve got a road I travel daily that is 35MPH. There is a 100 yard stretch where for no seeable reason the car interperts something that causes it to think the speed limit has increased to 60 MPH. Scared me the first time it happened but now I know to expect It.

Strange thing is, it does not do this every day, just random days and times and always in that same 100 yard stretch. I keep looking for what it is misinterpreting but can’t find it yet.

edit to say this is on 10.5, I’m in the boat where I never got 10.6 or 10.6.1

Not sure but my guess is the car is connecting the railroad crossing to the stop sign such as if there is a stop sign on the arms that come down at some rail crossings (usually lights not signs). I know it shows those lights as a green-yellow-red light even though there is only red available (usually shows up blank).
Yeah it's weird. The crossing arms are up and are not even visible on the display. The Stop sign clearly is but the car just ignores it. I send a snapshot every time so I hope the engineers can figure out what's going on.

Um .. it’s beta software? You should use the button to report this back to the FSDBeta team.

I’ve got a road I travel daily that is 35MPH. There is a 100 yard stretch where for no seeable reason the car interperts something that causes it to think the speed limit has increased to 60 MPH. Scared me the first time it happened but now I know to expect It.

Strange thing is, it does not do this every day, just random days and times and always in that same 100 yard stretch. I keep looking for what it is misinterpreting but can’t find it yet.

edit to say this is on 10.5, I’m in the boat where I never got 10.6 or 10.6.1
Could your car be seeing a number on a sign and interpreting it as a speed limit sign?

See these two posts.