Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got a primitive dash cam set up - and plan to use it to try to figure out why there is a 25mph to 30mph speed change on a particular city street. Happens routinely at about the same place. Hoping if I have a recording to look at, I can figure out why. Though this is not as dramatic a speed increase as yours, colettimj, it is nonetheless annoying and unwelcome (I always dial it down - lots of parked cars).

Given how speed changes seem to happen after the signs are passed, I'll try to look at the approach more closely.

Yeah it's weird. The crossing arms are up and are not even visible on the display. The Stop sign clearly is but the car just ignores it. I send a snapshot every time so I hope the engineers can figure out what's going on.
In addition to the snapshot I would send an email to the FSD beta address with the date/time and location plus include a subject description that might get a person/bot's attention. A picture might also help. No idea if this will help you but I've done that twice for intersections where FSD blew thru the Stop sign and both were fixed. Probably just a coincidence but worth a try since it keeps happening to you.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I had probably the worst drive I've ever had this weekend.
Driving down Hwy290 from Austin to Houston, previous non FSD AP would drive it pretty well, but every so often the nav would keep jump onto side roads and giving "turn right onto 290" stupid instructions that both myself and AP would ignore and just keep driving along.
Now with the new and improved vision FSD, every time it hits one of those side roads, it detects a 45mph limit, flips from AP to FSD and drops the speed to 45, then flips back to AP and jumps 70mph, over and over again.
To top it off, flashing yellow warning lights that previous AP would slow down for and give a warning. New improved FSD version drives along at 70mph then tries to come to a full and complete stop in the middle of a 70mph highway.
I gave up and drove manually.
Not impressed

Driving down Hwy290 from Austin to Houston, previous non FSD AP would drive it pretty well, but every so often the nav would keep jump onto side roads and giving "turn right onto 290" stupid instructions that both myself and AP would ignore and just keep driving along.
Now with the new and improved vision FSD, every time it hits one of those side roads, it detects a 45mph limit, flips from AP to FSD and drops the speed to 45, then flips back to AP and jumps 70mph, over and over again.
So this sounds like a mapping error. I'm not sure how FSD is at fault here .. it's following the map/route, whereas the non-FSD AP would ignore the map, right or wrong.

Did you report these issues to Tesla ?

Had a very smooth, zero intervention drive this morning with 10.6.1 and it reflected in consumption, 248wh/mi. Closest one with manual drive.

Also I like the quick accelerations right after each turn, it leaves other drivers in the dust so they won’t come close to stare at me or comment my dubious turns, and gives plenty room for the awkwardness of another turn.

+1

But I wonder whether the planner would do this if the car was actually going to hit the truck. Basically - why is the planner doing this .... it can't figure out that it may hit the truck on the side or it thinks the chance of hitting the truck are low compared to hitting the curb, so moves to the right a bit ?

Either way - they need to increase the cost of moving to the right so that the car takes a less comfortable but tighter turn that will not cross the line nor hit the curb.

One thing I'd add here is that the turns seem to be tighter. FSD avoided going over the yellow line on couple of turns ... have to watch for more data.

After a few more drives, I think definitely FSD is making tighter turns in 10.6.1. Not that it won't cross the yellow line - but it does so less often and more like what human drivers would do.

I also had the FSD actually driver around a round-about that it had never completed properly before. Had to push the accelerator once to get over the hesitation - otherwise it handled the tight turn ok ( as in still jittery but acceptable).

I use FSD almost always on way to work and back, amazing how different the results of the exact same drive with the same version of FSD. I guess I thought you would see similar behavior unless a car or obstacle was detected
Yes - lot of variability. I suspect many of the "great improvements" or "it sucks now" that we see are actually just such variability.

I have now been using 10.6.1 since I got it last weekend. I have to say that in my area, it is performing much better than 10.5 - particularly with turns. My M3 is creeping up, waiting for an oncoming car, hesitates maybe 1/2 second to confirm nothing coming and turns right or left which much more alacrity- dare I say confidence - than it used to. I also note that the "slowing for no reason" problem with shadows across the road is also much better now. It still happens, but much less than it used to and usually only dips 2-3 mph when it happens. I am still having the braking for no reason in my lane which is clear for at least 1/2 a mile when on NoA. Of course, FSD not responsible for that.
One more thing...
I would like FSD to turn on the turn signal before it decides to go into a right or left turn lane. I see that when there is a long turn lane, it enters the turn lane without signaling a lane change and then signals the turn that it is about to make. There is no harm in signaling the lane change and leave the signal on until the turn is made. That is what a human would do - at least the ones that actually signal their lane changes.

Last edited:
Really? It's never alerted me for use of the touchscreen. I have to look out the side of the car for a good ten seconds or so to get dinged.
OK, I have had this message come up twice so I do know that the interior camera is definitely watching for attentiveness. I got one warning because I was trying to get a snapshot and kept missing the button. Apparently, I was looking at the screen too long and got the warning. Totally appropriate. But still no voice activated snapshot which I am still going to comment on until I get one.

On that topic - Took me a while but I figured out one on my way home from work - there's a "TRUCK SPEED LIMIT 25" sign, and the 'truck' part is pretty worn, so the car aggressively brakes from 45 to 25.
CQKWEE3.jpg

I have the same problem when I am traveling on Hwy 421 South in North Carolina from Boone to Statesville. There is a steep grade downhill and the truck speed limit is 30. The work TRUCK is even more clear on these signs, but a speed limit is a speed limit. Curiously, if there are two speed limit signs, one above for cars and one below on the same pole is for trucks, it correctly uses the speed limit for cars. This happens on 105 North from Beech Mountain to Boone. Perhaps the top speed limit sign wins?

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and EVNow
Looks like FSD Beta 10.5 can perform decently on snow-covered curvy mountain highways:
10.5 snow.jpg

Visualizations were pretty reasonable most of the time and predicted double yellow lines even though they weren't actually visible. One time the predicted path was very short as it believed there was no more road, so it slowed down then realized there was more and continued fine. However it seems like FSD Beta currently makes a bunch of micro adjustments for steering and acceleration that results in a bunch of minor slipping.

At least twice there was some moderate fishtailing that was accompanied by big red "take over immediately" warning (where one can ignore and still press the accelerator and Autosteer will still be active) -- so unclear if FSD Beta detected the fishtail and aborted or some confusion resulted in moderate steering jerk followed by abort.

Visualizations were pretty reasonable most of the time and predicted double yellow lines even though they weren't actually visible. One time the predicted path was very short as it believed there was no more road, so it slowed down then realized there was more and continued fine. However it seems like FSD Beta currently makes a bunch of micro adjustments for steering and acceleration that results in a bunch of minor slipping.
I think partially visible side lines (and may be center line too) are going to be the issue. If nothing is visible, FSD should treat it as an unmarked road and just drive (ok-ish).

But if lines are visible partially or occasionally, FSD might predict shifting lanes and that will make the car drive somewhat erratically.

My FSD is doing smooth transitions from one highway to the other but not signaling when it merges into the right lane. Do other people see this? It should turn on the left signal to indicate it is merging into the cars on the freeway's right lane, shouldn't it?
I think it should. Could be a GPS issue, though. There is one specific point on my daily drive where an Interstate offramp is merging onto the divided highway I'm already on. My FSD beta often (but not always) signals left when it's in the right lane and that merge lane is to its right (or recently, even a bit ahead). Sometimes it will then proceed to change lanes if I don't cancel the signal, but other times it will cancel the signal after about two blinks, perhaps as if it "realizes it's not merging to the left" or "thinks it has completed its merge to the left". Most of my daily Interstate on-ramps and off-ramps have a designated lane, so I don't get to see the behavior for merging from a ramp very often, but I don't think I've noticed it not signaling when I have been in that scenario. That having been said, it's possible I always hit the signal early in that scenario out of pre-FSD beta habit (or like I always hit the signal before switching to turn lanes because FSD beta doesn't currently signal those lane changes).

Reactions: impastu
So this sounds like a mapping error. I'm not sure how FSD is at fault here .. it's following the map/route, whereas the non-FSD AP would ignore the map, right or wrong.

Did you report these issues to Tesla ?
absolutely its at fault
Why would the system prioritize map data over what the camera sees and car is tracking?
It can see the road markings in front, as well as the car its tracking. It can also see that it hasn't made a right turn and it very obviously doesn't need to make a turn onto the road its already traveling on.
It already has all that information it STILL decides that the map is correct and ignores all the other evidence to the contrary.

Yes did report to tesla multiple times, multiple snapshots taken, emails sent. Opened a support ticket as well.
Tesla replied that mapping errors like this are FSD issues - so they too see it as an FSD issue.