Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the reason I video record all my drives. I'm so focused on the road, I've no time to read whats on the screen.

FSD hasn't changed lanes arbitrarily at the last minute for me, though ....
I've had many last minute very abrupt and seemingly arbitrary lane changes with 10.10.2 that I've never had with other builds. Several of these I've had to quickly take over and the force on the steering wheel needed to correct the problem is pretty significant. You definitely fighting FSD very hard to retake control. Fortunately, no cars have been near me when this has happened. Yet other lane changes are nice and smooth.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't know what is going on with 10.10.2 but Autopilot seems to have lost its mind in the last few days - keeps wanting to go left and now crosses the yellow lines to "Avoid the merge" when there is no merge, and there never has been. The same route that a week ago required little to no interventions is now completely unstable with the car changing into the left lane to follow the route when the route goes right... Tonight I cleaned the cameras after a terrible drive home just to see if that helps tomorrow. Any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I've had many last minute very abrupt and seemingly arbitrary lane changes with 10.10.2 that I've never had with other builds. Several of these I've had to quickly take over and the force on the steering wheel needed to correct the problem is pretty significant. You definitely fighting FSD very hard to retake control. Fortunately, no cars have been near me when this has happened. Yet other lane changes are nice and smooth.
What have you set your lane departure to - I've it at warning. Do you have it at correction ... ? That could be the reason the car is moving to another lane - and hard to take over. Not directly an FSD issue - but a lane departure warning issue.

What have you set your lane departure to - I've it at warning. Do you have it at correction ... ? That could be the reason the car is moving to another lane - and hard to take over. Not directly an FSD issue - but a lane departure warning issue.
Set to "OFF". The abrupt lane changes all happen just before I get to an intersection with the lanes marked. I seem to recall others have posted similar experiences with 10.10.2. Otherwise 10.10.2 has been slightly better than 10.8.1.

This is the reason I video record all my drives. I'm so focused on the road, I've no time to read whats on the screen.

No kidding! It is so helpful to have a video of the screen and road to figure out what just happened.

My only problem is locating the inexpensive dash cam I'm using. My crappy setup has a sideways tripod in the passenger's seat with a phone clamp to hold the cam in place.

It would be helpful to see a variety of solutions for how people mount dash cams to capture it all.

FSD hasn't changed lanes arbitrarily at the last minute for me, though ....
yesterday on my way to work I was watching the road and I noticed a notification on the screen out the corner of my eye. I looked down to the screen to see what it said - "Pay attention to the road" 🙄

How is this happening ? Is the camera seeing other side of the barrier ?

The cameras can't see through the physical barrier so vision is not seeing the lane lines. Maybe the car is using some type of map. Or maybe vision is able to deduce the lane lines based on the fact that it knows it is driving on a 4 lane highway with a divider. So vision might know that logically there has to be 2 lane lines on the other side of the divider, even though it cannot actually see them.

I will add that I've been in situations where something was blocking the b pillar cameras and the part of my screen visualization would be blank. For example, at an intersection in the right lane with a big truck in the left lane line, the left side of the intersection would be blank on my screen.

Some of the main issues I am seeing in 10.2:
- Phantom braking.
- Hesitant and slow to make turns even when there is no traffic.
- Moves to the left lane to "pass slow traffic" but does not return to the right lane.
- Slow to move over to a turn lane. This is especially problematic where there is some traffic in the turn lane because FSD Beta will miss the turn lane entirely. FSD Beta basically stopped in the main lane, waiting to move over to the left turn only lane, annoying cars behind me.
- Oversteering making turns at large intersections. It will start to steer into incoming traffic and then correct itself, making for a jerky turn.
- Wobbles on residential streets with no center lane line to try to center itself instead of keeping to the side. I've had situations where it tries to center itself and then veers back when it detects parked cars instead of just hugging the center lane line.

The cameras can't see through the physical barrier so vision is not seeing the lane lines. Maybe the car is using some type of map. Or maybe vision is able to deduce the lane lines based on the fact that it knows it is driving on a 4 lane highway with a divider. So vision might know that logically there has to be 2 lane lines on the other side of the divider, even though it cannot actually see them.
Definitely some kind of interpretation is happening. Even if the camera is high enough to see some parts of the road - there is no way it can see all the lines, even the one right next to the barrier.

Reactions: diplomat33
Definitely some kind of interpretation is happening. Even if the camera is high enough to see some parts of the road - there is no way it can see all the lines, even the one right next to the barrier.

Yes. I think it was mentioned during AI Day that Tesla has trained NN to extrapolate the shape of intersections and roads based on what vision is able to see. So vision is seeing the two lane lines and a divider and is likely extrapolating that there must be 2 lane lines on the other side.

Yes. I think it was mentioned during AI Day that Tesla has trained NN to extrapolate the shape of intersections and roads based on what vision is able to see. So vision is seeing the two lane lines and a divider and is likely extrapolating that there must be 2 lane lines on the other side.
I think the examples were more like how the road would continue going forward around the bend etc. Would be the first time we are seeing some interpretation for other side.

BTW, there are intersections I drive through where it’s not possible to actually see the lines on the perpendicular road and FSD seems to guess and show the lines. Also turns based on the guess and adjusts the path as the lines become visible.

Car did an awesome road trip yesterday to the Del Valle lake in Livermore, CA. Only screwed up in one intersection and disengaged, rest of the trip was almost intervention (yes, like Elon said) free, for 130 miles. Then I realized this:
EF38DD0A-29CD-4244-9EAF-93979C370F53.jpeg

View attachment 777890

ps :
- 10.10.2 has more disengagements than 10.9 & 10.8.1 - 7 vs 10 vs 16 miles per disengagements
- Midwest has better disengagement rate than California (could be small number of cars in the midwest) !
- Disengagement rates are about flat since November / 10.5
interesting. I wonder what they mean by 'navigation/maps' for disengagement reason? In my limited experience 10.10.2 is about the same as 10.8 but I haven't been able to test much because of weather. It does seem to be worse at unmarked roads.

interesting. I wonder what they mean by 'navigation/maps' for disengagement reason? In my limited experience 10.10.2 is about the same as 10.8 but I haven't been able to test much because of weather. It does seem to be worse at unmarked roads.
"Because of weather,"
Are you referring to snow covered roads?

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc