Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there are similarities. I thought the visualization of the road and vehicles and their positions looked solid - which should have prevented veering off to the side - but your explanation is likely. Wish this was not the case.

3stacked.jpg

Throttle" and "Accelerator" still seem acceptable words for the "gas" pedal rather than "go" pedal.
There are plenty of anachronisms in every day English that we use without a second thought - dialing a phone. Hanging up a phone. Cranking an engine. Everyone knows what a gas pedal is, although one day they may not know what ‘gas’ is!

From the path the FSD wants to use - looks like the right swerve us to avoid that black SUV ...
I have seen this behavior as well. What I have notices, however, is that there is a delay between the time the possible incursion into the cars path occurs and the reaction of the car. I once saw a car very close to the right side of the road, but could see it would stop before hitting my car, my car also saw the car to the right but did not take evasive action until we were about 10 feet past the point where the cars would have collided. My feeling is that while driving a car using vision only is possible, humans do it all the time, however the human brain is far superior to any computer chip(time wise) at seeing something and reacting to a possible problem. I think at some point Tesla will come to the same conclusion and use radar or LIDAR or something else that does not require as much time to process as pure vision does. Let me further state that is my opinion and opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one and thinks theirs is the best. I have no expertise in human brains or computers.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The strangest thing I have noticed is sudden lane changes. Both while driving at normal speeds, around 45 to 55 mph, and also as the car is braking to slow for a red light. It will instantly change lanes left or right with no warning as you are almost at a complete stop. The lane it changes to may only have 1 or 2 less cars in those lanes. I am already on chill mode, so I can't imagine what mad max would be like...

Reactions: pilotSteve
The strangest thing I have noticed is sudden lane changes. Both while driving at normal speeds, around 45 to 55 mph, and also as the car is braking to slow for a red light. It will instantly change lanes left or right with no warning as you are almost at a complete stop. The lane it changes to may only have 1 or 2 less cars in those lanes. I am already on chill mode, so I can't imagine what mad max would be like...
When it changes lanes, does it indicate why? Usually it says it's changing lanes for something, like keeping you on your route, or keeping you at your set speed.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
What bothers me most with 10.10.2 is the "Moving Out of Far Right Lane" "feature". I hate this and it always does it to me every time lately on a two lane road where I prefer to stay right. I understand this is intended for multilane roads, but in my case we are talking about just two lanes with lots of right turns and stop lights every mile or so. I have started reporting it as it seems to be worse than ever, but only in some spots.

I am wondering if the software thinks the middle turn lane (like we have in my area everywhere) is actually a driving lane. Not sure because it correctly identifies the middle turn lane with yellow borders. I say this because it occasionally wants to pass on the left into the yellow turn lane at higher speeds when a slower vehicle is in front or changes lanes from the right lane to in front of me. When it does this I get the warning beeps and autopilot disengages and tells me to take over rather than just moving out of the lane.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
When it changes lanes, does it indicate why? Usually it says it's changing lanes for something, like keeping you on your route, or keeping you at your set speed.
I've had mine change lanes seemingly to a lane with a shorter line at a light but it's also changed lanes randomly for no clear reason. No reason was given on the screen, either.

What bothers me most with 10.10.2 is the "Moving Out of Far Right Lane" "feature".....two lanes with lots of right turns and stop lights every mile or so.....
Well this is a good reason since you are continuously hindered and must slow down for EVERY single car turning right for every Starbucks and McDonalds. Right lanes are almost always slower with traffic backing up and sudden stops for right turners. Also the right lane is more likely to have obstacles, stopped cars/trucks, VRUs, curb cuts, pot holes and standing water. I hate being stuck in the right lane and it is better used only when coming up on a right turn.

Well this is a good reason since you are continuously hindered and must slow down for EVERY single car turning right for every Starbucks and McDonalds. Right lanes are almost always slower with traffic backing up and sudden stops for right turners. Also the right lane is more likely to have obstacles, stopped cars/trucks, VRUs, curb cuts, pot holes and standing water. I hate being stuck in the right lane and it is better used only when coming up on a right turn.
This is a highway situation with a 60 mile an hour speed limit and nothing like you are describing. There are right-hand turns but there is a shoulder for those and about half are at lights. I agree with your reasoning, but it does not fit this situation.

This is a highway situation with a 60 mile an hour speed limit and nothing like you are describing. There are right-hand turns but there is a shoulder for those and about half are at lights. I agree with your reasoning, but it does not fit this situation.
I should add that if it were moving out of the right lane because of routing or slower traffic I would understand, and that would/should fall under the "Moving into a faster lane", or "Changing Lanes to Follow Route" function. But neither of those are the case, and it happens with no one in front of me at maximum speed setting. I think the software is using the logic expressed by @JulienW and designed for those situations in a more urban environment. Problem is that it reads the situation wrong or assumes too much. It is also odd that it only happens at the one intersection where I turn on to the highway - that being a right turn off Cuernavaca onto FM2244 (Bee Cave Road) where the speed limit is 60 and there are no potential slowdown points or lights for a mile or so.

Anyone see spurious "changing lanes to avoid cones" behaviors? Happened quite a bit with 10.8.1 both in the city and on the freeway , but 10.10.2 still isn't foolproof. It consistently does this when passing one exit that has a couple cones sitting in front of the concrete column holding up an overpass above (I assume to warn those that aren't paying attention at night). There is an entire shoulder between the leftmost cone and the right lane line and there are just those 2 cones, and yet it tries to merge left as soon as it approaches this fork.

Often not the case around here. Traffic sits stopped in the middle & left lanes while I just scoot down on the right. Yeah you have to watch out for entering / exiting traffic but you can often get where you're going a lot faster.