Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V10 Impressions from those who have installed the update
They really should change the graphics on the website. I have a feeling that this is the least reliable usage case for Smart Summon. The car simply can't detect obstructions close to the side reliably yet and there's very little time to react to stop it when exiting a garage.
upload_2019-10-1_18-33-47.png

SS works somewhat well in open parking lots with no one around.

I have a theory that an empty parking lot is actually where it does WORSE.

The reason is it tries to drive through empty spaces, and then it just ends up in awkward positions when it encounters some parking lot island.

Where if there are parked cars then it has a better sense of where to drive.

So you gotta have parked cars, but no driving cars.

It seems find with pedestrians. It just waits for them to get out of the way, and then it continues on.

Reactions: 3laine
I tried it this morning with 2019.32.11. The car tried to do a weird three point turn, and then stopped in the middle of the turn. I had to go get it. This was in an almost empty parking lot. It seems like this feature is no quite at the point where it "almost doesn't suck"
I believe the videos showing success more often are the ones around park cars.

I struggle to comprehend how in house testing suggests fully autonomous driving will be ready this year, when there are so many problems with something as ‘relatively’ easy as Smart Summon
I think you are on to something however, we may have over looked the release of smart summon as an exponential learning tool for Tesla.If you seen early releases of Smart Summon, I feel they came a long way already.

I am not sure why Tesla released such a flawed and dangerous feature, unless they needed to gather more data than they did from the people in the EAP.

A fundamental problem with Enhansed Summons is that it will always try to navigate the shortest, unobstructed route from a parking space to its destination. The problem is it doesn't see some, smaller obstructuons. If a lot is full with cars it does reasonably well by traveling between the rows of cars that it easily sees. When a lot is empty, however, it will attempt to go between what it sees as empty spaces. Unfortunately, summons can't see low concrete barriers meant to keep a car from moving beyond its parking space. These parking barriers or stops aren't so low that when transgressed, couldnt damage the underside of a car. This could be a greater problem in the winter when you, as well as the car, might not see a snow covered parking stop. Directing enhanced summons to bring your car to you over a parking barrier with no abort on your part would possibly have damaging consequences to your car.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I am not sure why Tesla released such a flawed and dangerous feature, unless they needed to gather more data than they did from the people in the EAP.

A fundamental problem with Enhansed Summons is that it will always try to navigate the shortest, unobstructed route from a parking space to its destination. The problem is it doesn't see some, smaller obstructuons. If a lot is full with cars it does reasonably well by traveling between the rows of cars that it easily sees. When a lot is empty, however, it will attempt to go between what it sees as empty spaces. Unfortunately, summons can't see low concrete barriers meant to keep a car from moving beyond its parking space. These parking barriers or stops aren't so low that when transgressed, couldnt damage the underside of a car. This could be a greater problem in the winter when you, as well as the car, might not see a snow covered parking stop. Directing enhanced summons to bring your car to you over a parking barrier with no abort on your part would possibly have damaging consequences to your car.
Exactly why this feature is kinda useless. The conditions have to absolutely perfect for it to work even reasonably well and how often does that happen? So glad I didn't front Tesla $6000 for this and the "promise" of FSD that looks to be years and years away if the roll out of ES is any indication.

Okay, I just watched the Saints Cowboys game. I parked very from the entrance like normal at BWW. I set my target, walked to the bottom of the parking aisle to be in range, and my car literally drove to me fast as I would’ve drove. This is crazy.

I probably won’t use it everyday, but the fact that it just did that blows my mind.

Enjoy it everyone!!!

Hey, I'm with you on amazement. So many posts on how SS "Fails" shows a mixture of FUD and stupidity. Helps to understand technology in general. Not magic, still Beta.

I compare the steering and braking to a deer learning to walk the first time. Motions can be erratic at first as the Neural Net evolves with better resolution. (Did I say evolves? Is this evolution? Learning yes, but evolving? Hmm...)

I'm especially impressed at how the car seems to be aware of its own dimensions - not cutting corners.

And use of turn signals! Great idea.

Maybe not ready for prime time, but I would have been happy with the first beta myself.

Hey, I'm with you on amazement. So many posts on how SS "Fails" shows a mixture of FUD and stupidity. Helps to understand technology in general. Not magic, still Beta.

I compare the steering and braking to a deer learning to walk the first time. Motions can be erratic at first as the Neural Net evolves with better resolution. (Did I say evolves? Is this evolution? Learning yes, but evolving? Hmm...)

I'm especially impressed at how the car seems to be aware of its own dimensions - not cutting corners.

And use of turn signals! Great idea.

Maybe not ready for prime time, but I would have been happy with the first beta myself.
Not only the turn signals, but it also does a full-on stop before turning.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Not only the turn signals, but it also does a full-on stop before turning.

Wish I could video record while Summonsing. Feature request for the phone App? You're just holding the stupid button anyway, why not record too? We need more succeed videos - I could have had about 50 already.

Rarely do I cancel, like awkwardly exiting my garage. Seems not too keen on backing up while turning (into a pillar in the garage). Conventional "Reverse" is stupid but mature, except it gets stuck in my garage all the time, even with all settings on tight. Like 2 different people driving for sure (Fwd/Rev vs SS).

Day 3 now going to parking lots and using Summon while in the car. It tried to go around some tree branches actually on the lot, but wanted to rub them a bit to make the turn, that was a cancel too.

And U-turns or 3-point turns! I did not expect that, nor did I expect following the flow of parking, going all around islands to get to the next lane. So cutting across got removed?

I've also seen it use reverse in unique ways to get to the destination. It can go in both directions! If equivalent, we might see even more of this, while humans favor forward for obvious reasons.

Aren't people going out there in masses and experimenting? It's why I bought this car!!! Sucks I have to write about it vs sharing it with discussion in person without feeling like an alien. People either walk away quickly (as if in fear of technology) or just think I'm showing off... that ya-whatever attitude.

WHATEVER? Suppose anti-gravity was discovered, people would complain it's making them too heavy still. Others would chain themselves to heavy objects in fear of floating off. But I'd be flyin' it with a few bruises for sure.

Went back to the same Home Depot this afternoon and decided to do just a standard test and not to try and trick like I did yesterday. Walked over and the only shade was in font of the trailers. Car had an open lot to come to me. It backed out and instead of cutting across it went down the lane and turned. Looking PROPER and good. However it passed the 1st entrance (white line) that the PIN was on and went to the next one. This is the one the the trailer in. Turned in and headed straight or it. Stopped and tried again and it seem to see and started to go around but still decided to "wreck" into it. Weird that was almost like it went out of its way (and the WRONG way) to go and try to go under the SAME trailer as yesterday.:eek::Do_O

For reference car (red arrow) and had PIN at green it and followed blue line. Also no cars parked in-between (orange).
Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 4.42.03 PM.png
IMG_1920.jpeg

Well Well,

It appears that there might not be a smart summon to improve upon thanks to...… Tesla fans?

Tesla owners makes over half a million 'Smart Summons', a few crashes bring NTHSA scrutiny - Electrek

Congratulations.

That's a rather bold statement based on the information contained in the article. It is not outside of the realm of possibility, but so far this is NHTSA saying they share data with tesla regularly. If a human gets run over, maybe a different story, but minor property damage on private property at a very VERY low rate is unlikely to result in them pulling the plug. I'm sure regular summon has caused WAY higher property damage over the years.

Reactions: PACEMD
That's a rather bold statement based on the information contained in the article. It is not outside of the realm of possibility, but so far this is NHTSA saying they share data with tesla regularly. If a human gets run over, maybe a different story, but minor property damage on private property at a very VERY low rate is unlikely to result in them pulling the plug. I'm sure regular summon has caused WAY higher property damage over the years.

My point is this:

Question: Who is trying to help a situation they are finding as bad within Smart Summon?

Anyone?

"Turn it off"
"Its horrible"
"I will never use it"
"They shouldn't have released it"
"Tesla owes me"
"What's wrong with them?"
"Stop doing this and that.….and do this".

That's what I'm hearing....and that resounds with people. People who write articles that gets the attention of media. ( as you can see from my comment above ).
For example....look at the video below this. People are just watching their car run into their house and blaming Tesla.

Why can't the tenor of the response to issues that people have be " To try and help and not complain and go away"? Is it really easier to complain than to help?

I don't have a problem with SS yet. I have seen where it has evolved from. I have seen the improvement and there is no question in my mind that Tesla will continue to improve it - JUST LIKE they have done with just about all of their products to date.

However if everyone wants to "pile on" to the title of this thread.....then.....hold the door open for the NTHSA.

Last edited: