Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here you go again.

Sticking to things people actually said?

Maybe try it sometime?

When you give a percentage is it a fact or isn't it? I took your percentage to mean an estimate which clearly mine is. Yours also is an estimate unless you have data that shows your 98%. Do you?

Again, here's literally the words I wrote that you seem to keep wanting to make up your own version of.

I've bolded the words that make it most obvious you refuse to accept or understand the actual words written.

FWIW my own experience is that when my car was new in 2018 it was not great at all-- today it's probably 98% as good as the rain-sensor-having Lexus I had before it.

Let me make this simple for you.

You can do that by not making up arguments nobody presented then demanding they prove the strawman claims you substituted for their actual words.

Yes or no, just answer the question. Do you think that the fact Tesla launched their car with no rain sensor and no replacement of equal efficacy has been to the detriment of the experience of the consumer?

Do you think that the fact Tesla launched their car with no rain sensor and no replacement of equal efficacy has been to the detriment of the experience of the consumer?
This question is akin to "did you rape the woman before or after you hit her?"

@Knightshade has clearly answered your question: you just keep choosing to ignore it since you persist on asking it over and over, pushing for a "gotcha response that you can exploit. Maybe it needs to be this simple (and @Knightshade, please correct me if I have misspoken - I do NOT claim to speak for you):
  • For @Knightshade, the auto wipers on his Tesla today perform pretty much as good (98%) as another car he had (a Lexus).
There's nothing more to it than that. He can make no more assessment than his own experience (just as neither you nor I can). And (again, not speaking for @Knightshade), 98% is a negligible (irrelevant, inconsequential, meaningless) difference. And more importantly, there is no claim nor representation of empirical data: just one's personal observation.

All that verbiage and there’s still no way to adjust the wipers to a sensible wiping rate either using the sensor or manual settings. I suppose some like frenetic wiping, but giving me a choice would make me much happier with the car. Pushing the wiper button once every minute or two in a modern car just seems stupid; we have machines that can do that task.

When you tap the button to wipe you are presented with 4 manual settings on the screen, along with off an auto. Those aren't sufficient?

When you tap the button to wipe you are presented with 4 manual settings on the screen, along with off an auto. Those aren't sufficient?
I would definitely like more manual settings - especially at the lower end - as I had in previous cars I have owned. I love my Model 3, but the wiper controls are definitely an area where Tesla falls a bit short.

As I've said before the manual choices on mine are "too fast", "way too fast", and "are you kidding me" for most light/intermittent rain, mist, and road spray conditions we have here. (I only get three choices for speed) In heavy rain they are fine, but that's only rarely what I'm driving in.

As I've said before the manual choices on mine are "too fast", "way too fast", and "are you kidding me" for most light/intermittent rain, mist, and road spray conditions we have here. (I only get three choices for speed) In heavy rain they are fine, but that's only rarely what I'm driving in.
Have to agree. The manual options are too fast.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Infinite or nothing!
Absolutely!

So disappointed that is not standardized, particularly here in the PNW. Because empirically it works SO well to prohibit squeaks, dry wipes and get just the Right wipe from the lightest mist to the heaviest downpours. Thats the dream is to have machine learning Fix those issues, not make them worse...but until then...

Possible anyone knows of a Standalone 12Vdc wiper controller that would control both speed and intermittent delay adjustable independently, and with "infinite" adjustment between high/low speeds?

Have ran wiper systems off of 12Vdc PWM controller, and that allows easy manipulation of speed, but not delay period that is adjustable.
And have struggled to find a 12Vdc controller with "infinite" Adjustable intermittent delay with a standalone module.

The S3XY buttons appear to give you half-steps between the normal manual wiper settings, but I have not personally used them. It appears to give you a setting below the lowest Tesla setting as well, at least according to this page:

I've had cars with auto wipers as old as 2003. They've all worked exceptionally well. They've all had a sensitivity setting for how easily they're triggered. The Tesla's are by far the worst - sometimes non functional auto rain sensing wipers I've ever used. Simply put, if they can't manage to achieve parity with 20+ year old technology it is a stretch to think the cars will be driving themselves competently anytime soon.

I've had cars with auto wipers as old as 2003. They've all worked exceptionally well. They've all had a sensitivity setting for how easily they're triggered. The Tesla's are by far the worst - sometimes non functional auto rain sensing wipers I've ever used. Simply put, if they can't manage to achieve parity with 20+ year old technology it is a stretch to think the cars will be driving themselves competently anytime soon.
There are many things on a Tesla that are not on par with 20-year-old technology. My biggest pet peeve is the USB music UX. And this would be a MUCH easier fix than the wipers.

But but......USB music is 20 year old tech. :) I kid i kid.......I know music purists prefer it for higher bit rates.
It is still the only way to get lossless music into the car. (I have a significantly upgraded sound system in my car.)

While the Tidal Hi Fi + plan is better than most streaming, I am not getting as many "HiFi" tracks as I would like.

Absolutely!

So disappointed that is not standardized, particularly here in the PNW. Because empirically it works SO well to prohibit squeaks, dry wipes and get just the Right wipe from the lightest mist to the heaviest downpours. Thats the dream is to have machine learning Fix those issues, not make them worse...but until then...

Possible anyone knows of a Standalone 12Vdc wiper controller that would control both speed and intermittent delay adjustable independently, and with "infinite" adjustment between high/low speeds?

Have ran wiper systems off of 12Vdc PWM controller, and that allows easy manipulation of speed, but not delay period that is adjustable.
And have struggled to find a 12Vdc controller with "infinite" Adjustable intermittent delay with a standalone module.
Well, at least the auto high beams have been working much better. Now I don’t blind oncoming drivers, even though I can’t see them very well in the rain.