Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was such a pleasure to drive my 20 year old truck in the rain over the weekend. Intermittent wipers were such a great invention! I personally don't care how I get to control the "too fast". "way too fast", and "are you kidding me" speed options that Tesla offers, I just want to be able to turn the damn things down.
A rain sensing system that worked would be ideal, of course, but whatever is there now seems utterly incapable of slowing down to once every 30 seconds or once a minute when that's what's needed. I don't understand why I need to push the button once a minute for an hour at a time as the only way to get reasonable wiper functionality. The convenience level reminds me of an even older truck I had where the pneumatic motor wore out and we rigged a rope that tied to the wipers and ran through the cab, you pulled it one way or the other to wipe the windows.
Of course if they fixed the wipers I'd pretty much have nothing to complain about with the car.

Got 2023.26 last night but no rain AP test yet

Was on 2023.20.8 and with rain and AP, I was able to take off wiper AUTO, but not turn off

Again, with AP and raining, Tesla is driving and wants a clear windshield view and thus forces on rhe wipers

I was happy with the AP wiper performance
Will test the new code once it rains

what if there was a "what-the-wiper-sees" screen? like the autopilot screen showing (mostly) what it is seeing from the car's perspective.

would love to know what/why, to this day, when it's steadily raining (okay not now in the PNW, ha), that the wipers go like mad while still parked, then stop when i shift to D and drive forward and actually need to see! just. plain. dumb. what kind of "logic" is that?

Mine go max speed when there's hardly any rain, sometimes they don't stop and you have to switch them off entirely. Other times the windscreen is totally opaque with rain and they don't switch on, or switch on to very slow mode.

They are still, consistently awful. They are dangerous, and whatever technology they are using to operate them simply does not work.

They are still, consistently awful. They are dangerous, and whatever technology they are using to operate them simply does not work.

I remember in the 2018 timeframe, people on forums were talking about how the auto wipers weren't working well, but bragging that Tesla has thousands and thousands of cars feeding back live data on raindrops so the "neural network" would rapidly learn to identify raindrops and quickly improve the auto wipers. Well, after 4 years and millions of cars on the road later, it's safe to say Tesla's neural network has a severe learning disability. 🤣

I remember in the 2018 timeframe, people on forums were talking about how the auto wipers weren't working well, but bragging that Tesla has thousands and thousands of cars feeding back live data on raindrops so the "neural network" would rapidly learn to identify raindrops and quickly improve the auto wipers. Well, after 4 years and millions of cars on the road later, it's safe to say Tesla's neural network has a severe learning disability. 🤣
Yep and that’s how autopilot learns. Probably the main reason why every drive in every car is totally different.

Reactions: adsheff
Yep and that’s how autopilot learns. Probably the main reason why every drive in every car is totally different.

It was exposed with V12 that the previous versions of AP/FSD weren't doing any learning on their own. There was some intern programmer having to code 300K lines of exceptions every time they found it doing something wrong. So after hardcoding the exception, you had to wait to get a firmware update to get the change. So many people were led to believe they could "teach" FSD how to drive, but they were duped. The variation in drives seemed minimal, but whatever variations could probably be explained with slight changes in the inputs to the software.

But even though Tesla led everyone believe that AP/FSD was self-learning from the start, this time it's for real with v12! You just need to trust them!

It was exposed with V12 that the previous versions of AP/FSD weren't doing any learning on their own. There was some intern programmer having to code 300K lines of exceptions every time they found it doing something wrong. So after hardcoding the exception, you had to wait to get a firmware update to get the change. So many people were led to believe they could "teach" FSD how to drive, but they were duped. The variation in drives seemed minimal, but whatever variations could probably be explained with slight changes in the inputs to the software.

But even though Tesla led everyone believe that AP/FSD was self-learning from the start, this time it's for real with v12! You just need to trust them!

This is... not an accurate narrative of what happened.

Tesla AFAIK never claimed there was any on-car learning-- and we've known for many years there is not. V12 didn't "expose" that.

It was moderately common knowledge and had been discussed in detail many many times in the various threads here going back years before V12 (indeed before FSDb even existed in any version).

I'm unaware of any claim V12 is any different BTW- the car still does not self-learn-- all training/learning is done by Tesla and behavior changes only when something FROM Tesla is pushed to the car.

Note that's not EXCLUSIVELY a firmware update- it's known that when you enter a destination quite a bit of route data is sent to the car that impacts FSD behavior (again this is NOT a new thing in V12, it's been around and been discussed for a while)

Eh, it's pretty accurate actually.

Eh, it's really not though.

Here's a thread from almost 5 years ago with lots of folks correctly pointing out there is no on-car learning.

That is not new info, and isn't something "revealed" with V12 that's only a few months old.

And Tesla never claimed otherwise.

Why do you think they got sued and lost in other countries for calling it, Full Self Driving??

You might wanna, again, double check your claims. AFAIK there was only ONE case, a local court in Germany in 2020, and Tesla won on appeal to a higher court in 2021.