Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wipers were fine until today. When driving locally today, there was no cell reception, so I did a soft boot and the music system resumed playing after a minute or so. Just a quick spray to clean the windshield before entering my garage and the sprayer stuck on, whether the wipers were running or not. After practically emptying the reservoir, the pump stopped. It didn't occur to me until now to send a bug report. Here in snow country, you can't afford to let the reservoir run dry...too dangerous!
Anyone else have this problem?
Could the wiper button have gotten physically stuck in the depressed position?

Possibly. I repeatedly pressed the end of the stock as the spray was coming out and the physical feel of the button returning to its rest position felt normal. Without my touching anything, the pump would run for a couple of seconds, stop a couple of seconds, then keep repeating this cycle all while the wipers were at rest in the stored position.
Now I'm a little nervous to go anywhere since our roads are wet with slush/salt/sand covered surfaces.

Definitely the weakest link so far for me in an otherwise excellent experience. Auto function just isn’t good enough. Heavy spray on a busy road and I’m fumbling round trying to get them on.

Also I don’t have a washer function - the motor works but a drop of water at best comes out. It’s like the jets are blocked? Despite this I had a low washer fluid warning so I thought perhaps it was never filled. However I’ve filled it and still get nothing more than a dribble. I really don’t want to drive 2 hours to Tesla if anyone had a fix?

thanks very much

Definitely the weakest link so far for me in an otherwise excellent experience. Auto function just isn’t good enough. Heavy spray on a busy road and I’m fumbling round trying to get them on.

Also I don’t have a washer function - the motor works but a drop of water at best comes out. It’s like the jets are blocked? Despite this I had a low washer fluid warning so I thought perhaps it was never filled. However I’ve filled it and still get nothing more than a dribble. I really don’t want to drive 2 hours to Tesla if anyone had a fix?

thanks very much
Regarding you washers not working: A while back someone discovered that the little hoses that go from the reservoir/pump to the wipers had become disconnected. As I recall, there is a Y where one hose splits to two (one per side), and a hose had come off (or never been put on in the first place). Easy fix. As I recall, you pop off the cover just behind the frunk storage compartment to access this.

Reactions: Chickenc
People have had such varying experienced with the wipers, it's kind of amazing. I've only had a few phantom wipes in my garage, but other than that the wipers really have been just fine for me for the last 6 months of ownership. Others have had veritable nightmares with the wipers, so much so that they only use them in manual mode (!!!), so I've always wondered and will continue to wonder what the issue is/was. Maybe this new update is a way of stabilizing everyone. I hope it doesn't break my wipers because they've been just great for me!

Today I downloaded software version 2019.40.2.1. The wipers went from not wiping at all in torrential rain pre-update to hysterically wiping with the slightest drop ot rain post-update. Another car I own is a 14 year old Land Rover Discovery 3 where the rain sensor has always been working perfectly. Upon downloading the newest software release I got some nice text about the auto wipe function improving with deep learning and so forth, but in essence it seems that it boils down to Tesla having installed a crappy sensor as the aforementioned Discovery rain sensor has been working fine for the last 14 years without any learning whatsoever :)

They simply aren't sensitive enough. Even in heavy rain they only intermittently wipe leaving me blinded most of the time. While blinded I have to take my eyes off the road to turn it to manual. Not a safe situation.

I use manual all the time. I keep rechecking after each update to see if the wipers are usable but they are still not.

And if yours works great then great for you. Doesn't change the fact that many of us have unusable autowipers.

You should get some RainX windshield washing fluid. The orange stuff. They are amazing and I never use anything else. Most of the time you don't even need to use the wipers.

Autowipers are still terrible on 40.50.1. I have noticed one thing though. It may be a side effect of the car's aerodynamics more than anything else. Next time you are driving in misty conditions, take a look at the top of the windshield where the cameras are. You will probably notice there is almost no water spraying up there for the cameras to pick up. Not sure if there is a software fix for that one...

Autowipers are still terrible on 40.50.1. I have noticed one thing though. It may be a side effect of the car's aerodynamics more than anything else. Next time you are driving in misty conditions, take a look at the top of the windshield where the cameras are. You will probably notice there is almost no water spraying up there for the cameras to pick up. Not sure if there is a software fix for that one...
Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. It’s drier near the top. I keep a spray bottle in my cup holder. When this happens, I reach out the window and spray at the cameras.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that too. It’s drier near the top. I keep a spray bottle in my cup holder. When this happens, I reach out the window and spray at the cameras.

That's an interesting solution but I guess do what works? Haha.

Now that I have noticed that it stays drier at the top, I am sad to realize that the autowipers will probably not get much better because if there isn't water getting on the area covered by the cameras, there really isn't any way for the cameras to know its wet. Not really a software solution there...

The recent wiper update has worked wonders. Now you can put it in auto and leave it. Just remember to shut it off when you enter a carwash:confused:

Or when you park in a garage - every time I forget to disable auto-wipe, it will do so when I put the car in reverse. :D

The new neural net wiper update was sent in the holiday update, it's supposedly supposed to be a huge improvement.

Neural net or not, "one setting fits all" approach will NEVER work for the entire population of Tesla owners.

Some prefer more frequent wiping action, some less so.
Some have applied RainX or similar products to their windshields, some did not.
Some live in climates with rain and ice accumulating on the windshields (when wiping is ill advised), some do not.

A far simpler approach is to regulate the frequency of wiping manually, so suit your preferences and conditions.
You can semi-achieve that by pressing the turn signal stalk button in once (for one wipe). Then set the frequency UI pops up, and you can adjust it manually.

HTH