Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I come from a 2009 Mazda 6 with autowiper. I despised these wiper because beside Auto and Low/High, you could make them go intermittent manually or do a single sweep when in Auto. My M3 works better than that but I do find it too precautiously choose a higher speed than needed. I wish AP would allow me to chose one of the mode beside Auto.

I come from a 2009 Mazda 6 with autowiper. I despised these wiper because beside Auto and Low/High, you could make them go intermittent manually or do a single sweep when in Auto. My M3 works better than that but I do find it too precautiously choose a higher speed than needed. I wish AP would allow me to chose one of the mode beside Auto.
You can choose any mode apart from off.

Unless it’s changed in the past month you could have any mode apart from OFF. If you select off it jumps to auto. I hate the wipers so much its even stopping me use NOAP.

I’m heading out in my car shortly so I’ll check if things have changed in a recent update. I’m currently on 2022.40.4.1

From my thread here your can see AUTO did not have to be selected at the time of posting….

You can choose any mode apart from off.

What? You can? Since when??? When I tried, it didn't want to switch away from Auto.
So, in UK, you can't change wiper mode to Off.

And In Canada, you can't change wiper mode away from Auto.

Is this why Biden said Elon Musk's cooperation and/or technical relationships with other countries is worthy of being looked at? 😁

This morning the roads were wet and there was a lot of spray. I will be blindly driving for about 10-15 seconds before the auto wipers decide they need to do something, so then I have to use interval mode. Which ends up scraping the wipers over the dry windshield when I stop at a light. So I switch it to off. Then I start driving again and I need to switch to interval mode again. Rinse and repeat for the entire drive.

Disclaimer - I have never come across auto wipers that I thought were good!

Mine are pretty much fine, too, and I'm not paid, am not lying, and don't have ukltra-low expectations.
Do you get a lot of precipitation or snow where you live? Either it's good for everyone or it's not in heavy usage and I imagine it may just be good enough in places that don't see a lot of rain or snow. Even Car & Driver noted in their long term 40k mile review of their Model 3 that the auto wipers were the worst of any vehicle. This isn't people being too picky as they simply don't work well compared to aut wipers from all other automakers today.

I have two 2022 M3LR. My brother has a 2019 M3, and a Model X. We have no issues. So it seems YOU want the wipers to work exactly the way YOU want to your personal preference. If not, it is 💩
You are in Dallas so clearly you don't drive your Model 3 in a lot of snow storms where auto wipers also have to perform. Don't take it from me. Take it from people that drive all cars from all brands for a living. You are clearly in the minority.

Tesla's auto wipers are noticeably less effective than the systems offered by, well, every other carmaker. —Eric Tingwall

You are in Dallas so clearly you don't drive your Model 3 in a lot of snow storms where auto wipers also have to perform. Don't take it from me. Take it from people that drive all cars from all brands for a living. You are clearly in the minority.

My bro is not in TX. He is in the NE.

Can you post a video of your wipers in action? We can then discuss. I will try to do the same when it is raining here.
The problem with them for example..

In drizzle, they wipe perfectly for 5 mins. Then they may stop or go absolutely crazy for the next few minutes.

I was on autopilot the other week and after a software update the wipers had to be on or in auto (was never like it before)

I was driving with them in auto. It was totally dry but about 50 miles ahead of me the clouds were black. The wipers were going crazy, scratching across a dry windscreen.

With autopilot engaged there was no way to turn the wipers off making the autopilot drive impossible and my frustration off the scale.

For me in my car the wipers are NEVER consistently good. They are average one moment and sh1t the next. In all my years of owning 2 Teslas there has been ZERO OVERALL improvement and I am of the opinion that with the present hardware there never will be.

The problem with them for example..

In drizzle, they wipe perfectly for 5 mins. Then they may stop or go absolutely crazy for the next few minutes.

I was on autopilot the other week and after a software update the wipers had to be on or in auto (was never like it before)

I was driving with them in auto. It was totally dry but about 50 miles ahead of me the clouds were black. The wipers were going crazy, scratching across a dry windscreen.

With autopilot engaged there was no way to turn the wipers off making the autopilot drive impossible and my frustration off the scale.

For me in my car the wipers are NEVER consistently good. They are average one moment and sh1t the next. In all my years of owning 2 Teslas there has been ZERO OVERALL improvement and I am of the opinion that with the present hardware there never will be.
Well, none of your scenario you just described had any snow in it. So how does it differ from what I am experiencing in TX?