Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think that the multi-controls on a the single scroll wheel are a bit complex, at least for me, to operate accurately in a pinch. But maybe I will give it a try.

I will be looking forward to seeing the results of Tesla’s latest attempt to improve the auto wiper function. Actually, my recent experiences with it have not been too bad. Not great, but not bad either. And I appreciate that they continue to try to improve it.

I think that the multi-controls on a the single scroll wheel are a bit complex, at least for me, to operate accurately in a pinch. But maybe I will give it a try.

I will be looking forward to seeing the results of Tesla’s latest attempt to improve the auto wiper function. Actually, my recent experiences with it have not been too bad. Not great, but not bad either. And I appreciate that they continue to try to improve it.

what we really need are two scrollwheels on either side.

I haven't gone back through the thread (or maybe it was another thread), but someone had mentioned the scroll wheel as a possible option for controlling the wipers. Well, you got your wish, and I'll take it! The geek in me still looks forward to updates like these.

Reactions: finman100
I never particularly liked stalk controls for wipers, but have not been all that fond Tesla's controls either. I have not tried the latest iteration of the Tesla controls, with the scroll-wheel option, but my initial feeling is that it might be a bit finicky. I could think of improvements that Tesla could make on its centre-screen wiper controls - that would be my solution (as well as improvements in the auto-wiper functionality).

They did enable voice commands, but I find that voice commands in general work only about 70% of the time due to connection errors (though it's able to stream Spotify and update the map just fine when this happens).

Also, the voice commands are counterintuitive: IIRC saying "wipers up" decreases the wiper speed.

After 5 years owning the car, I still don't understand why auto wiper goes into max speed when in reverse. In SoCal where it rarely rains, I thought the auto setting was "okay" unless it is misting. Then it would rarely wipe when the mist starts to build up on the windshield. I just need to press the manual wipe once in a while. However, every time I back into my driveway, the wipe would go crazy fast (max speed I think) when I don't even need to see out of my front windshield. It's still doing that this year. The only thing I could think of is that when the car is in reverse, the back camera is completely blocked by water, so the car thinks if it speeds up the wipers, it will clear it up? 😁

• Informative
Reactions: finman100
Yeah you still need to watch the screen while changing wiper speed with scroll wheel until you get accustomed to the feel of it. Also need to set wipers as default in the scroll wheel settings.

They must have changed something because I can now bring up the wiper controls by pressing the button on the end of the stalk and then set wiper speed by pressing the left scroll wheel right or left. There is no longer a need to set a default in the scroll wheel settings.