Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the hell has happened to Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3P 2022.28.2

Had Teslas for 7 years and I think my last couple of Autopilot drives in my car have be the worst since owning.

I’m convinced convinced in the last update they have removed the LiDAR sensors and now rely solely on vision.

Multiple phantom braking events for no reason. Clear road. Decent weather. No shadows etc etc. Lots of the bloody things - far more than before.

Apprehensive driving.

In stop start traffic autopilot was a godsend. Now it’s utter tripe. Jerky. Stops about 5 car lengths from the car in from in 5mph traffic (Distancing set correctly). Hard braking every minute.

Wipers now have to been on or in auto with autopilot engaged (vision only?). In clear blue skys with dark clouds 30 miles ahead my wipers are going, screeching across my windscreen with no way of stopping this crap unless I turn the autopilot off.

With autopilot engaged I’m spending so much of my time cancelling bings and bongs or warnings or suggestions - it’s really much safer just to drive manually but that’s not the point.

The car I once loved and I’m slowing beginning to despise.

I can’t believe in 7 years things haven’t really improved “consistently overall”.

To think I paid for FSD twice and my current car is as close to doing that now as it was all those years ago when I pressed the order button for the first time.

Best as I could tell, UK autopilot hasn't actually been updated much, if at all. My car behaves exactly the same way it did over a year ago.
The only change i've noticed is that FSD now puts the headlights on auto, which is super annoying because I never use auto as its garbage and just flashes everyone constantly as i'm going down the road.

I use Autopilot every single day to get me to and from work around the M25. Very rarely have to get involved at all.

Wipers still work perfectly fine.
Have you tried a reboot? Possibly your car is just having a bit of a meltdown?

I've just done my normal 1400km drive from France to Spain in my one week old M3P. Autopilot is just the same as it was in my LR - very picky when lane changing if the indicators aren't full on or the correct pressure isn't kept on the wheel right through the maneuver. So no difference there. I did my first bit of night driving last night since the last upgrade. I can confirm I have pissed off about a dozen Spanish drivers with auto high-beam which I have always turned off as it never works properly. Now, I have to keep pushing the stalk forward to turn it off.

Tesla Vision roll out (for those with MCU2+AP3) does indeed feel that it dropped the use of radar (though likely kept on to compare with predictions).

It has been keen lately to rush up to queuing cars more briskly, and far less keen at accelerating away into moving off traffic gaps.

Still seeing mulitple HOV diamond symbols in the UK IC visuals (around cross hatching), hinting that its a US-centric/trained neural network running here.

It seems to me to be OK in daylight, provided you remember it can't see oncoming traffic which can lead to some sudden takeovers..

OTOH not sure I'd use vision AP at night. Already had a close call with a pedestrian it couldn't see - the old system would have braked before I did. That means the safety systems are compromised, and you've got to be extra careful.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Agree with the jerky acceleration in stop/go traffic.

No phantom braking for me apart from one weird case a few weeks ago where it keep trying to brake hard to a standstill in traffic that was crawling along at about 20mph. Don't understand why, but it hasn't happened again. Are the cameras clean?

AP is still okay for me, but I don't like the forced switch to wipers on and auto-high beam when AP is engaged. It took me a little while to realise what was happening there and it can be quite irritating when you don't want either auto-wipers or auto-high beam on. It wouldn't be quite such an issue if these features were less flaky in their operation! As it stands both require a fair bit of manual intervention, so I don't want the car switching them on just because I happen to have engaged AP.

M3P 2022.28.2

Had Teslas for 7 years and I think my last couple of Autopilot drives in my car have be the worst since owning.

I’m convinced convinced in the last update they have removed the LiDAR sensors and now rely solely on vision.

Multiple phantom braking events for no reason. Clear road. Decent weather. No shadows etc etc. Lots of the bloody things - far more than before.

Apprehensive driving.

In stop start traffic autopilot was a godsend. Now it’s utter tripe. Jerky. Stops about 5 car lengths from the car in from in 5mph traffic (Distancing set correctly). Hard braking every minute.

Wipers now have to been on or in auto with autopilot engaged (vision only?). In clear blue skys with dark clouds 30 miles ahead my wipers are going, screeching across my windscreen with no way of stopping this crap unless I turn the autopilot off.

With autopilot engaged I’m spending so much of my time cancelling bings and bongs or warnings or suggestions - it’s really much safer just to drive manually but that’s not the point.

The car I once loved and I’m slowing beginning to despise.

I can’t believe in 7 years things haven’t really improved “consistently overall”.

To think I paid for FSD twice and my current car is as close to doing that now as it was all those years ago when I pressed the order button for the first time.
There is no lidar but they apparently disabled the radar for whatever bizarre fetish Elon has for proving vision works better, now the following number is a min of 2 instead of 1, which is annoying and a feature removal as far as I am concerned.

The auto wipers on auto pilot as well as auto lights is ridiculous, if I have my wipers/auto lights set to off then enable auto pilot and cancel it, the lights and wipers are now both on in most cases, which is just badly thought out, at least go back to the original setting.

Well, this was actually a courtesy car, mine which also doesn't have issues (apart from the overheating issue it's in for) is in the SC, also my previous Model 3 was equally fine. So at least 3 in 100,000.
Great! Now, given the fact that my autopilot is downright dangerous, auto lights and auto wipers are worse than on a Ford from 20 years ago, and that with each update my car has got worse over the last six months, I guess I just got unlucky and received a Friday car. Still, the next two or three Teslas I get I might get lucky like you have. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Rooster6655