Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto here. They work great to me, much better than at first. I occasionally hit the left stalk button for a manual wipe when it first starts drizzling.
In the early months of owning this car, auto wipers were flaky at best, and as OP said, taking your eyes off the already impaired view of the road to tweak the manual settings just added to the stress.

But at least for me and @jdcollins5, it has gotten much better. I think it was 2019.8 or 2019.12 that made the difference. I never use manual anymore. It keeps up just fine from light spritzes to blinding downpours. Now and then I pop the button on the stalk, usually for spray from someone else's tires.

Not sure what the variability is between different owners' experiences. Maybe personal preference. Maybe actual difference in performance. But in any case, I do think the manual UI could be a bit slicker. You know how when you touch the button the wiper dialog appears on the screen for a few seconds? My thought is the left thumb wheel could be a wiper adjuster during those several seconds, instead of its usual role of volume adjustment. You could do that by feel, keeping your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

Wiper controls should be manual and on the steering wheel like every car.
I've never ever encountered a car with wiper controls ON the steering wheel. Do you mean a stalk attached to the steering column?

That's been the case for all Japanese cars I've had/had driven since the 90's. American cars have been putting them on a stalk for ages, as well (since the 80's). Much earlier American cars (e.g. model year 1980 GM) put them on a control on the left side of the dash, IIRC.

Since I live in the western part of Norway where we have lots of rain, i use my windshield wipers a lot. The automatic is not not working as I want it to. It starts after the window is so full of wather you hardly can see throu it. The next wipe comes to late. In my opinion the automatic is useless

Reactions: drewpost
Since I live in the western part of Norway where we have lots of rain, i use my windshield wipers a lot. The automatic is not not working as I want it to. It starts after the window is so full of wather you hardly can see throu it. The next wipe comes to late. In my opinion the automatic is useless. Exept for that I am very satisfied with my car.

Reactions: BobAbooey
The automatic is not not working as I want it to.
This issue has been discussed extensively in multiple threads in the Model 3 forums and others on TMC. Search for “Auto wiper” and you will find them. Here is one such thread Auto wipers are still horrible

Please continue the discussion in that thread or any of the others on this topic. Thank you.

Since I live in the western part of Norway where we have lots of rain, i use my windshield wipers a lot. The automatic is not not working as I want it to. It starts after the window is so full of wather you hardly can see throu it. The next wipe comes to late. In my opinion the automatic is useless
I find the auto wipers work very well now in all situations including mist, night, etc. All areas they used to suck at. Having said that, it’s very version dependent.

When I first received my car early in 2018 the software for the wipers wasn't even available so it was always handled manually which was a super pain. So it had to get better:) and has.
Over last year+ the software has improved and now works reasonably well. Not perfect but better. My biggest complain now is when it rains at night and when you do need to use the manual settings. The manual settings only remain on the display for a few seconds after you activate the wipers from the left stalk. At a minimum the wiper manual settings should stay displayed for a few minutes. Adding voice commands would also be very helpful.
Oh and along with the wiper software not being available initially the software for the auto headlight dimming wasn't ready either! Whenever I want to complain I think about all the software changes I've gotten and that cheers me up!!

I just got 2019.32.1 a few days ago, and drove through light rain today. Halfway through my drive I realized that I hadn't touched the wiper button at all, and the auto wipers were just doing the right thing the whole time.

They gave a few quick wipes when I got in the car. They didn't run when it wasn't raining. They ran intermittently when there was a little rain when I was parked/slow, and when I started driving at highway speeds in light rain they went to continuous. They slowed back down when I slowed/stopped.

Basically they did what I'd have done if I were micromanaging them.

I didn't see any talk about this, but have others noticed any substantial improvements in this update, because this is VASTLY better than I've ever seen the auto wipers perform. Really I'd say they performed flawlessly today. Up until today I've never been able to drive in rain and not have to constantly fidget with the wiper controls on the touch screen or keep hitting the button to get some additional wipes.

I guess I'll see if this holds out in other conditions, but I'm optimistic that some engineer has finally tried driving a Tesla outside of SoCal...

Reactions: techmaven
I am not on 32.1 yet, just 32. I personally have noticed the wipers getting better over time. Still not 100% perfect for me, but better. I have also noticed there are not a lot of posts on the topic any more - maybe that is proof things have improved. Now I am hoping 32.1 gets wipers to 100%.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
The biggest improvement I had was simply adding Rain-X to my washer fluid. Auto-wipers went from total garbage to basically perfect overnight. I think if the water can spread out and form a film over the entire windshield (including the cameras) so the system has trouble detecting the raindrops. Rain-X causes the drops to form perfectly on the windshield so the neural net can see the pattern easily. Neural networks work on pattern recognition.

I am not on 32.1 yet, just 32. I personally have noticed the wipers getting better over time. Still not 100% perfect for me, but better. I have also noticed there are not a lot of posts on the topic any more - maybe that is proof things have improved. Now I am hoping 32.1 gets wipers to 100%.
Or maybe because it's summer and it's not raining in as many parts of the country as in other seasons?