Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a decent install guide for Schroth four point harness?
They have manual, but in general - you need to remove side plastic panel on the seat (don't forget small bolt at the front of the seat) and put the hook of the left lock under the large bolt in the corner. Also check online how to lift the seat headrest, because belts must go through the headrest and not around it. The rest is easy.

Does anyone have a decent install guide for Schroth four point harness?

I followed what they did in this thread to install the harness.

I'm looking to have a rear tow point installed on my Model 3 for those track events that require one. I'll be checking with a few shops in the San Diego area. If anyone has experience or suggestions, please let me know.

Last edited:
I'm looking to have a rear tow point installed on my Model 3 for those track events that require one. I'll be checking with a few shops in the San Diego area. If anyone has experience or suggestions, please let me know.
What was the eventual solution for the rear? I worked with Raceseng for a front shaft fitment that should be in stock and releasing soon, but haven't bothered with the rear yet. Need to, though. TIA!

Haven't done mine yet, but got this info from a friend who did his himself. He used existing hole in the Metal bumper and got the hardware from Ace and Lowe’s. The tow hook is from Amazon.
tow1.jpg
Tow2.jpg
Tow3.jpg
Tow4.jpg

If one was to get into the Tesla racing/AutoX world what platform would one jump into. I would assume an M3P but curious to hear thoughts.

Coming from the 350z world. Nismo to be specific(among others) I have been autox’ing for 4-5 years now. I know you know the platform Sasha 😉

Chris
View attachment 765222View attachment 765223
M3P is the obvious choice but I am very tempted to use a MYP with a Partybox instead.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I honestly enjoy driving the Y more. Not entirely sure why, maybe because it has more top end "oomph", maybe because it's hilariously capable for an "SUV".
I didn't really like how the Y drives, to me the 3 is much more fun and satisfying, but the Y is certainly very capable and I totally get what you're saying here.

Kind of like when I was hauling a** along 50 miles of twisty road in a loaner P100DL on crappy all-seasons, loaded to the gills with cargo, even had a 21" wheel+tire buckled next to me in the passenger seat. It was a big heavy boat in the turns, and the brakes didn't feel up to the job either, but I was giving it all it could take. Only person faster than me that run was driving an E46 BMW M3 the way it was meant to be driven...they were ripping it like me in my TM3P. 😈

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
Ok second part. Should have asked this.

Q: What year? I am looking from 2020 on…
Thanks again,

Chris
Honestly it doesn't really matter. The battery sizing is very similar (slightly larger on 2021+). Power is the same. Supercharging speeds are actually a hair faster on the pre-2021. Heat pump is more efficient for normal driving. For the purposes of AutoX or HPDE though you won't notice any difference from 2018-2022.

@NA&CH I feel like an LR RWD might be a great starting point for a track focused build. With an MPP Party Box of course. I've zero experience to back this up, it's just a thought. I also don't know if Tesla still made LR RWD in 2020.

Of course if you're after outright speed then start with a Performance.

2021+ refinements and heat pump are worth getting for daily driving in my opinion (since older cars aren't even priced much lower right now), but for a track focused build save money by starting with an older car (whichever trim you choose).

Edit: If you DO go for 2021+ just for the refinements (no performance benefit as others have mentioned), keep in mind Tesla doesn't really care about Model Year boundaries when they introduce changes on the assembly line. So early 2021 Model Year cars won't have all the "2021+" changes people talk about here. Same with early 2022 Model Year cars for "2022+" changes. If there's any specific feature or change you're looking for, VERIFY IT, don't assume the car has it based on its model year!

Last edited: