Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Comprehensive Road-Course Modification Guide — Optimizing the 3 for the track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post seems to have a whole lot of trouble in terms of you seeing the forest for the trees. Race track owners need to transition from Ice to EV technology just as Transportation everywhere is making that transition. To drive out the only new emerging source of Revenue and the only thing that's going to keep them from closing is bad business. In the end it may not be enough to stop them from closing in areas where real estate is really valuable because no feasible or affordable driver support is going to keep a many acre site worth $200+ million open in the current economic climate where there is a lot of development money in urban areas. The other point you seem to be missing is simply that it's discriminatory. There's no rational or legitimate basis for Banning EVs on racetracks.

Safety, rescue, insurance

All things that aren’t up to snuff for us to be running a single EV race car on track, let alone a field full of them.

Owners are looking at the tesla forums with typical tesla owner behaviour and deciding that one lawsuit from a wreck isn’t worth it. Or their insurance companies are.

Don’t be upset that my pro EV / sustainable energy stance wasn’t loud enough in a singular internet post. I can assure you I own every tesla product ever produced.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Safety, rescue, insurance

All things that aren’t up to snuff for us to be running a single EV race car on track, let alone a field full of them.

Owners are looking at the tesla forums with typical tesla owner behaviour and deciding that one lawsuit from a wreck isn’t worth it. Or their insurance companies are.

Don’t be upset that my pro EV / sustainable energy stance wasn’t loud enough in a singular internet post. I can assure you I own every tesla product ever produced.
Those are track rules and track certification issues not some inherent disadvantage of EVs. You're suggesting there's some higher liability inherent in electric vehicles? And that track owners are actually monitoring communication on Tesla forms and believe based on that monitoring that Tesla owners are primadonnas? OMG. Come on. You have any data for thse Wild claims that EVs are inherently riskier or the track owners see Tesla owners as bad actors?? And by the way I'm not remotely debating in any way that tracks need owners to take responsibility for insurance and liability issues based on real data not based on supposition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV
Those are track rules and track certification issues not some inherent disadvantage of EVs. You're suggesting there's some higher liability inherent in electric vehicles? And that track owners are actually monitoring communication on Tesla forms and believe based on that monitoring that Tesla owners are primadonnas? OMG. Come on. You have any data for thse Wild claims that EVs are inherently riskier or the track owners see Tesla owners as bad actors?? And by the way I'm not remotely debating in any way that tracks need owners to take responsibility for insurance and liability issues based on real data not based on supposition.
I like turtles.

Reactions: dfwatt
Out of curiosity has anyone tried gear ratio mods ? Like I feel that after 130kph the acceleration drop is really bad. I would sacrifice 0-100 for a better 100-200. It would mean software changes right ? Does it even make sense ?
More like serious Hardware changes. You'd have to get into the gear reduction casing and start replacing gears or more likely you would have to really redesign the whole thing from its current nine to one ratio to perhaps something like six or seven to 1

Reactions: Kvitravn
Out of curiosity has anyone tried gear ratio mods ? Like I feel that after 130kph the acceleration drop is really bad. I would sacrifice 0-100 for a better 100-200. It would mean software changes right ? Does it even make sense ?
One would have to crack the drive units and replace at least two gears with custom options. I would expect any software changes would be relatively if you managed all that.

I am not sure I would change what we have, but I think it could be a neat modification!

Less likely to catch fire at a racetrack?
Interesting. Hadn't seen that study.
I expect said study of overall vehicle fires would provide ample data to generate a robust hypothesis that ICE vehicles are still more likely to catch fire….even on a racetrack.

But if you need you be academically correct on the internet off the top rope….good point?

Reactions: buckets0fun
I expect said study of overall vehicle fires would provide ample data to generate a robust hypothesis that ICE vehicles are still more likely to catch fire….even on a racetrack.

But if you need you be academically correct on the internet off the top rope….good point?
Must not have seen the silly run and smack a magic disconnect from the recent gridlife YouTube coverage. 😂

Zomg the EV will magically explode from touching a guardrail. ☠️😅

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood
Hi, Thanks for awsome tread!

I have some questions:
What Sqare setup provides the best laptimes and wear? 275 / 285 / 295 / 305?
What ET and width will fit?

Looking at front camber ive seen MPP reach up to -3, does the UP FUCA provide more adjustment or the same?
Are all the arms, trailing arm, traction arm necessary?

Have anyone tried some of this parts?
1692623669630.png

Hi, Thanks for awsome tread!

I have some questions:
What Sqare setup provides the best laptimes and wear? 275 / 285 / 295 / 305?
What ET and width will fit?

Looking at front camber ive seen MPP reach up to -3, does the UP FUCA provide more adjustment or the same?
Are all the arms, trailing arm, traction arm necessary?

Have anyone tried some of this parts?
View attachment 967011
Not a lot of folks have been able to race with much beyond a 275 (mostly because the ideal wheel width for a 275 is already around 10.5, and finding 11”+ wheels to get the most out of 285s and 295s gets expensive real quick). That said, I’d expect a 600hp, 4100lb AWD car will benefit from the widest tires that will fit.

Around a +30 offset (on LR or aftermarket rotors) should fit a 275 comfortably, or narrowly fit some 285s and 295s up front (possibly with some fender pulling). With stock M3P brakes, more like a +26 would be about right.

I believe the UP arms can go further (if one really needs it?), but the main benefit of the MPPs is the rapid adjustability between daily and track settings, if that is important to you.

Hard to say how those parts will hold up. Yes, there are lots of perfectly-fine budget-oriented suspension parts out there, but I would eye the bearings carefully. More importantly, the camber arms look challenging to adjust while on the car (I suppose you’d have to remove the frunk liner and the rubber fender panels to see them?)

You probably don’t really need the traction and trailing arms until you start pushing really hard on semi-slicks.

Not a lot of folks have been able to race with much beyond a 275 (mostly because the ideal wheel width for a 275 is already around 10.5, and finding 11”+ wheels to get the most out of 285s and 295s gets expensive real quick). That said, I’d expect a 600hp, 4100lb AWD car will benefit from the widest tires that will fit.

Around a +30 offset (on LR or aftermarket rotors) should fit a 275 comfortably, or narrowly fit some 285s and 295s up front (possibly with some fender pulling). With stock M3P brakes, more like a +26 would be about right.

I believe the UP arms can go further (if one really needs it?), but the main benefit of the MPPs is the rapid adjustability between daily and track settings, if that is important to you.

Hard to say how those parts will hold up. Yes, there are lots of perfectly-fine budget-oriented suspension parts out there, but I would eye the bearings carefully. More importantly, the camber arms look challenging to adjust while on the car (I suppose you’d have to remove the frunk liner and the rubber fender panels to see them?)

You probably don’t really need the traction and trailing arms until you start pushing really hard on semi-slicks.
Was thinking Nankang AR1 305/30/19 if they will fit?

If the budget stuff is good its a steal but hope somone has tried them :)